Would you look at the dust and cobwebs in here!

12 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Best get this section checked over and operational again, She Who Must Be Obeyed is thinking of changing her car and perhaps testing an Evoque.

😮

Oh dear.........

I feel for you @Mo Murphy...lol

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Tbh, they are beginning to look more attractive as they age....

She Who Must Be Obeyed? She will be flattered..

Edited by Happyoldgit
Removed phone induced predictive text

57 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed? She will be flattered you think so.

I mean, 5k for something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202405039346492?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&make=Land Rover&model=Range Rover Evoque&price-from=500&radius=300&sort=price-asc

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

That one has the Ford engine, rather than the by now infamous Ingenium engine, so probably the one to have.

Ps. specifically to Mr Murphy: I told you keeping this section would be useful one day!

• Haha 1

The early evoques with the SD4/TD4 engines are looking very reasonably priced now and a much cheaper alternative than the last of the freelander 2 which have held their values incredibly well. 

9 minutes ago, Jon W said:

The early evoques with the SD4/TD4 engines are looking very reasonably priced now and a much cheaper alternative than the last of the freelander 2 which have held their values incredibly well. 

I find that an interesting comment. I rather liked the Freelander 2s that friends owned, and thought they might have enough technology to be useful on low traction surfaces. I never took this any further.
If Evoques are cheaper perhaps I should look at those instead. I'll assume competent traction control is a given, but I'm generally concerned about excess weight (of the vehicle) because I've formed the impression that the increasingly complex traction control has come about because vehicles have got heavier, and the modern ETC is necessary just to get them off a wet grass surface.

For the avoidance of doubt, the overall criteria is how much tractive effort can be put into the ground surface, and that extra weight means that more tractive effort is required ALL THE TIME, uphill or downhill.

Regards.

A handful of members have met me, and I think all would attest to me not being a big guy, but I couldn’t fit into the Evoque seats when I tried at a dealership.  The F2 wasn’t too bad though, for the type of car it is.  

48 minutes ago, Snagger said:

A handful of members have met me, and I think all would attest to me not being a big guy, but I couldn’t fit into the Evoque seats

Bollicks, that makes me even smaller, I can fit into the Evoque seats......

Regards Stephen

7 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

I've formed the impression that the increasingly complex traction control has come about because vehicles have got heavier, and the modern ETC is necessary just to get them off a wet grass surface.

A very pessimistic take - personally I think it's more that once you've fitted ABS to a vehicle, the whole ETC / HDC thing is just a bit of extra software and maybe an extra dashboard button so you get a load of extra capability for free.

Having driven vehicles with ETC, HDC, and Terrain response I have to say that although it's less "engaging" than something with levers and knobs to shuffle round it is incredibly competent and for 99% of people that's all they care about.

I'd throw my Freelander down stuff at Seven Sisters using HDC that I would think twice about driving my lockered 109 down, because HDC keeps you going where you're pointed and at as safe a speed as it can manage with minimal drama. Feet off the pedals and just keep the wheel pointing where you want to be going.