Battery choice

nige90

Need a new battery for the 90, only intend running with one.

Is it best to use a standard type around 110ah or a leisure of

same ah to survive the occasional heavy drain when winching ?

Is there any drawbacks of using a leisure all the time ?

Normal leisure batteries aren't designed for cranking/winching currents, they're designed to run the reading light in a caravan - you want either a normal battery (truck batteries are robust & cheap) or a super-bling Optima-stylee one designed for deep cycle and high current.

Personally I vote #1, bling is sooo last year :ph34r:

Colin

no just need a piece of box section to match the hump in the bottom so the batteries sit level.

used same orig cables too.

Thanks Tony. Just looked up the specs and the height of an 096 is 30mm less than the 072 I have fitted at the moment so I can see how you've done it.

Colin

Anybody heard of "Absorbed Glass Matting" Hybrid batteries? :huh:

They are supposed to be good for both starting and multiple deep cycles, and from what I've found out so far, they don't seem to be that much more than normal batteries.

Clicky McLinky

Yep, similar construction to aircraft batteries, non-spill, no fluid, can be mounted on their side or even upside down, I've 2 x Odyessey PC1700 in my 110, 1 for the husky winch & other runs the vehicle systems & radio's, excellent product.

Yep, similar construction to aircraft batteries, non-spill, no fluid, can be mounted on their side or even upside down, I've 2 x Odyessey PC1700 in my 110, 1 for the husky winch & other runs the vehicle systems & radio's, excellent product.

i also run two pc1700 in the 110 which are exelent (though not cheep by a longshot!) i for engine and viechle sytems the other for expedition stuff lighting frig ect. they are paired through a splitcharge for use when winching.

Edd

Sorry, going OT a bit here - how many 096's can you fit into the battery box, there are 2 on the 110 on Tony's recommendation, but as I want to run 24v in the future I was hoping there was space for a third - anyone tried it or do I have to have a go myself?

Lewis :)

Sadly the fuel tank lives there on both the 90 and 110, and as they are/will be trayback i wanted to keep the batteries together and inside. Also as i recall a battery doesnt quite fit in the storage box under the drivers seat, or was i trying to force something large into a small hole? :blink:

On the yellow car I would like 24volt as SimonR's arguement for overvolting was very persuasive. On my car I need 24v as I have ordered/expressed interest in 2x Will's 7.8hp motors in 24v spec, plus it means I can use cheaper (smaller cross sectional area) cable

• 4 months later...
On the yellow car I would like 24volt as SimonR's arguement for overvolting was very persuasive. On my car I need 24v as I have ordered/expressed interest in 2x Will's 7.8hp motors in 24v spec, plus it means I can use cheaper (smaller cross sectional area) cable

Hi

I have now tried to search in a lot off diff ways to find this about overvolting with no result, can anyone give a hint about where to look,...Please ;-)

Kind regards

Oddball

It seems Fiamm batterys are no longer the bargain they used to be, prices has been rising by 8% a month for the last 8 months or so apparently...also Mole Valley Farmers in Yeovil dont sell them cos of supply issues so if anyone knows where to get them cheap in the south/SW then please let me know :)