Making your own fuel tank

FridgeFreezer

Due to (ahem) a few light mods to the 109 the rear mounted fuel tank won't fit anymore (winch cradle in the rear X-member), now in an ideal world I would ring Allisport up and get a pukka blingy one made. However, money is tight and I've gotta get the thing wired, plumbed, and through an MOT yet :unsure:

Under-seat tanks are not really an option - the battery box is one side, the other may end up having the stock hydro tank bolted back in for the winch. Either way I don't especially want gallons of fuel sat under my arse, and the stock SWB/90 tanks stick down too far especially for a vehicle that has a (marginally) lower breakover angle.

I have a decent MIG set and would make the tank out of slightly thicker steel than the OE ones, both for strength and to crank up the volume on the welder a bit. The only reference I can find on google is this guy who seems to have lived to tell the tale, and after sorting a couple of poor welds (TBH his welding Fu seems a bit weak :rolleyes: ) it held fuel OK too.

So, if I set about welding my own fuel tank together is it going to end up like a chocolate teapot or is it not too hard to make it hold fuel with a bit of careful welding?

Secondly - assuming this isn't a suicide mission - anyone got any info/links to fuel tank and baffle/pickup design?

IMVHO Mig coiuld be a nightmare, slightest pin hole = leaky

I realise I will have to strongly align the welding Chi and employ the leak test / patch-up method but the price of an Ali one buys a lot of fab time. Also there's a voice in my head saying if LR can stick a steel tank made of tinfoil together then I should be able to do something that will hold unleaded.

For persistent pinholes there's always POR15 fuel tank sealer, if their paint is anything to go by you could line a cardboard box with it and call it "job done" :blink:

John,

Nick (rougevogue) has made a couple of tanks recently, one for Bish, and one for Rocker. I saw Rockers one during build, and it had baffles in with 'one-way-ish' valves. Anyway, it was all made of steel, but I can almost guarantee it was TIG welded rather than MIG'd.

I have also used the POR15 fuel tank liner, as sold by frosts, and it does work for porous tanks!

Just my 2p

Mark

BTW get some bleedin pictures up og the 109 will you???

It's a very long time since I made a fuel tank. Mine was made for my Sunbeam rally car and it fitted in the spare wheel well.

I used ordinary mild steel. I think I just soldered it. Mig wasn't an option in those days :rolleyes:

You could get then as well some tinned sheet steel that they used for repairs to fuel tanks. I wonder if it's still available.

I did baffle mine. Lengths each way inside. About quarter of an inch from the bottom. Also because the filler neck was very near the filler pipe I made a baffle to rtry to stop the petrol flowing back up the filler. Yes it did work to my suprise.

My fifty pence worth :o

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I have made fuel tanks too. Very straightforward if it is a regular rectangular shape. Used mild steel and a mig no problem, though oxy on the end plates(edge welds is easier).

I found the best way is to fold a sheet so that you only have one overlap weld along the length(at the top). It helps if you punch/drill a line of holes in the top part of the overlap which you can use to do a line of plug welds to hold the overlap together before you do the long overlap weld.

Then I made two end plates with folded edges(this gives extra rigidity and easier welding). Pushed the end plates into the ends of the tank with the folded edges facing outwards so that the edges were flush. Then welded the edges. For baffles, I made plates the same as the end plates but with the corners cut off, and pushed them into the tank and welded them in place before I welded the end caps in. Fittings etc will depend on what you are using, but are fairly straight forward.

If you use fairly thin steel you may need a reinforcing ring welded to the tank with captive nuts if necessary for fuel pump, sender or whatever.

Complicated shapes are fiddlier, but try to fold as much as possible out of one sheet to minimise the amount of welding.

Good luck!

Regards,

Diff

The shape would be something like this:

post-21-1171650983_thumb.jpg

Although I may kick the deep end back up a bit so that the low point is roughly 2/3 of the way from the rear rather than at one end.

The rear X-member has a winch cradle in it now so is less tall then the original, and the intermediate x-member was so close to the back of it I chopped it out and re-did it a bit further back out of 40x40 box (with spreader plates to the chassis) so as to allow max fuel tank space.

Is there any mileage in MIGing the thing together then using one of those "Bernz" brazing kits to sort of double-seal the joins? Or even using domestic solder (or are we into 02GF74 territory there?) :blink:

Due to (ahem) a few light mods to the 109 the rear mounted fuel tank won't fit anymore (winch cradle in the rear X-member), now in an ideal world I would ring Allisport up and get a pukka blingy one made. However, money is tight and I've gotta get the thing wired, plumbed, and through an MOT yet :unsure:

Under-seat tanks are not really an option - the battery box is one side, the other may end up having the stock hydro tank bolted back in for the winch. Either way I don't especially want gallons of fuel sat under my arse, and the stock SWB/90 tanks stick down too far especially for a vehicle that has a (marginally) lower breakover angle.

I have a decent MIG set and would make the tank out of slightly thicker steel than the OE ones, both for strength and to crank up the volume on the welder a bit. The only reference I can find on google is this guy who seems to have lived to tell the tale, and after sorting a couple of poor welds (TBH his welding Fu seems a bit weak :rolleyes: ) it held fuel OK too.

So, if I set about welding my own fuel tank together is it going to end up like a chocolate teapot or is it not too hard to make it hold fuel with a bit of careful welding?

Secondly - assuming this isn't a suicide mission - anyone got any info/links to fuel tank and baffle/pickup design?

Speak to Tonk he has made his own

stock SWB/90 tanks stick down too far especially for a vehicle that has a (marginally) lower breakover angle.

But surely you have fitted portals, does this not negate the breakover angle problem?

If the old tank is only just too big, have you thought about modifying the existing tank by shortening it?

Ok, you have to wash and clean the tank of vapours etc, but it must be viable.

Hi,

isn´t hot dip galvanizing an option ?

There may be problems with bending of greater plane sheets of steel under the heat, and there must be any possibility for the zinc to drain. But the zinc should kind of seal every tiny holes - even small gaps. And you do not have to paint it :)

I remember there were some arguments against, can´t recall. Think it had to do with Diesel fuel and some additives acting with the zinc.

The tank I used in the Hybrid was welded by myself with a mig I had one tiny pinhole withwas cured with a quick blact from the torch......so If I can make one Stig should have no trouble :lol:

Put two baffles in, fitted a internal collection pot for the V8 (much like a swirl pot) etc