240V drills - whats decent

MogLite

The smoke stayed in my drill, but a nasty smell has escaped, and I suspect I'll need a new one <_<

The drill that died was a monster Black and Decker. It was 950+ watts and quite big. If it caught, the torque would break my wrist.

So I'm thinking I'll go for something a bit smaller, better access to tight spots would be a bonus.

I need a 13mm keyless chuck, and a 0-2500+ speed range, and for a sensible price.

Carry case, extra drill bits etc don't add value for me. I'm not really fussed about using it as a powerdriver either. I do some masonary work, virtually no wood wood, mainly drilling steel.

I need to do a Screwfix order very soon, so I'm thinking something like this Makita, or Hitachi, or even a Ryobi

I've not owned any of those brands, I note the Ryobi is twice the weight of the other two, which might be a drag.

Any recommendations ?

Ta

Before JU gets here and posts, what about considering one of the DIY store specials, i have seen the all three i think in Wickes, cant remember the prices, but if they are cheap and give good warranty, treat them like the angle grinders, as disposable, and get new ones on the extended warranties.

have had Makita.ryobi

Makita 18v cordless is a good drill but a short fall to the floor bent the chuck spindle so it is now US pretty much

Ryobi is a cheaper brand that has gone down in quality of late.

We used JSTs largish Bosch to do the wing bars and it is now burnt out or very close to being as it slows to a stop under pressure.

and keyless chucks are crud of the highest order IMHO.

I'd try the Hitachi next if it were me.

Also had ELU that died not long after a year of use.

I have an SDS Bosch with key'd chuck that is fairing well so far.

Finally if money was no consideration

Hilti is the way to go

http://www.hilti.eu/holcom/modules/prcat/p....jsp?OID=-15679

have had Makita.ryobi

<...>

and keyless chucks are crud of the highest order IMHO.

<....>

I love keyless chucks - is there a problem with them that I have missed? For me (admittedly an hobby user) my Bosch with keyless chuck works fine, and has done for 10 years now...

Rog

I have a Ryobi 240v 2-speed hammer drill. Non of your lightweight plastic either - the thing is quite heavy. It's been used and abused for years and is still perfectly ok.

Les.

The Ryobi is a good drill, but its in larger class to the other two, similar price I know, the Makita and the Hitachi are good for the money but are still DIY drills.

That may not be a problem for you, but my choice in that size drill would be the Metabo http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...96&id=47515 but its double the price of the other two :blink: My last Metabo SDS drill lasted 14 years, which was a bit annoying after 10 because I wanted one of their new ones :rolleyes: I'm a builder and while it wasn't used every day it was seriously abused, core drilling etc. Metabo give a three year warranty on their tools now I think they are the only manufacturer to do so for trade use.

I'm on my 2nd metabo grinder aswell, the first lasted 12 years, grinders get used for grinding out joints on brickwork for repointing and flashings, they get a lot more abuse in that enviroment with the dust, cheap ones can last a week :lol: .

Its expensive because its built to last, thats also why its heavier, if you think the use you will get out of it justifies the cost I don't think you will be dissapointed with it. Having said that I wouldn't buy any Metabo cordless tools, I know too many people who have had problems with them.

Andy

I love keyless chucks - is there a problem with them that I have missed? For me (admittedly an hobby user) my Bosch with keyless chuck works fine, and has done for 10 years now...

Rog

Keyless chucks are a god send if they are on a cordless and your doing lots of carpentry but they are no use on a mains drill thats used for drilling steel. You can rarely get the chuck to grip tight enough.

Keyless chucks are a god send if they are on a cordless and your doing lots of carpentry but they are no use on a mains drill thats used for drilling steel. You can rarely get the chuck to grip tight enough.

thats true, keyless chucks are good, very good if you get a quality one.

The keyless chuck on my DeWalt cordless grips so tight its a struggle to get it undone sometimes, but it can shake loose if drilling heavy steel.

are you going to use your new drill for DIY or drilling concrete? if so get SDS, you would be amazed at the difference.

We've got a Makita SDS 110V drill, which is brilliant.

there are some good drills out there, that are really heavy, too heavy to lay under a car with, so you need to think what you are going to do with it, and not just buy a huge one because its got loads of power, you might find you struggle to lift it!!

The keyless chuck on my DeWalt cordless grips so tight its a struggle to get it undone sometimes, but it can shake loose if drilling heavy steel.

I agree, for light work I have a Dewalt 18v cordless drill with a metal knurled keyless chuck and it's the dogs dangleys (fully charged in only 15mins..!), far superior to the cheap ones. I and many of my work mates have used DeWalt stuff on site for many years and without any trouble, I can honestly say it's well worth paying a bit extra and getting a good one.

I also have a DeWalt SDS for heavy work, which is also a fantastic piece of kit, it drills, hammers and hammer/drills. Comes with an SDS keyed chuck, which is far better for use with larger drill bits and on harder materials.

Both of these are heavy bits of kit and it can become hard work using them for extended periods, the SDS drill is long with the keyed chuck in too and as such does not fit easily into tight spaces, but these are the only downside (appart from the price). <_<

I agree, for light work I have a Dewalt 18v cordless drill with a metal knurled keyless chuck and it's the dogs dangleys (fully charged in only 15mins..!), I can honestly say it's well worth paying a bit extra and getting a good one.

I also have a DeWalt SDS for heavy work, which is also a fantastic piece of kit, it drills, hammers and hammer/drills. Comes with an SDS keyed chuck, which is far better for use with larger drill bits and on harder materials.

I use an 18v DeWalt with metal keyless chuck and a 24v DeWalt SDS for work ( 1st year apprentice electrician, so i do all the drilling/screwing/fun jobs!) they get used 6 days a week and are faultless, i do have a SDS-keyless adaptor for joist drilling, as a 25mm auger bit and 2 inch joists are a little too much for the 18v!

Also, i have dropped the 18v about 2 feet, it landed on its battery and bounced! still working as gd as ever, just dont tell my boss!

If either ever failed, it would be replaced with the same again, the best i have ever used

hope this helps

i've got a variable speed bosch which is lovely to use. seem to last well and has taken a bit of a battering over the last 12 months- like you found it can be too powerful at times though- have hurt my wrist a couple of times!

Suppose I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in a new drill sometime, too :(

I'm not even sure what my old one is (the label came off years ago) - a Bridges, I think - but I remember the manufacturer doesn't exist any more so I probably can't replace the knackered switch. Shame, because it's one of the nicest drills I've ever used - mid mounted grip so it's nicely balanced, quite small and so smooth it would go through masonry much more powerful drills struggled with like it was chipboard. Two speed gearbox rather than variable speed like the modern drills, but that was never a major handicap.

Thanks Andy - that's a good lead! I'll probably order one!

Mains drills are useful too, not so much for the power as the longevity. Some of the Bosch ones in particular with a 0-600rpm range are good for big bits & hole saws which eat the batteries in battery drills in seconds!

Si

my Bosch 850W died on the wing bars, mind you it was 3 years old and had also spent the previous month drilling straight through old railway sleepers with 15mm noles so not suprised really.

Now have a bosch 1000W jobbie, cheap (at staff prices!) and smaller the out going 850W.

I wonder who can get cheap Bosch stuff then??!!! ;)

Let me know if people are interested in some stuff and I will see what is about. Can get new or refurbished stuff although stock of refurb is of course variable but the prices are a lot better!

My old Bosch 650W is still going 8 years later. Great control on trigger etc. Doesn't get so much use as obviously round the house the 24v cordless gets used for most things nowadays.

Cheers,

Rog

My opinion only

I have Makita 18v cordless chuck won't grip anymore

Hitachi chuck won't hold drill bits

James Bosch the chuck was next to useless too

the two I have with chuck keys are fine,

My opinion only

I have Makita 18v cordless chuck won't grip anymore

Hitachi chuck won't hold drill bits

James Bosch the chuck was next to useless too

the two I have with chuck keys are fine,

Chuck the Chuck - they don't last forever! A new one will probably cost more than a new drill however!

Sadly, it's one of the things they cut costs on.

Si