Shiny or Not?

geoffbeaumont

Shiny or Not?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Underseal the Guards?

• Leave 'em shiny. You can't have too much bling
    • Slap on some underseal. Rangies should be classy and understated.

I really need to get my Southdown guards that I bought at Billing onto Gemima - but I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. They're very shiny and bling (5mm galvanised steel), but Gemima is a fairly civilised dark green and black Range Rover...

slide_imag0002.jpg

Should I leave them shiny, which might look a bit crass, or slap a bit of underseal on them so they're nice and black like everything else under there? Only catch I can see is that I'd likely leave a trail of underseal across every rock and tree stump I whacked them on!

i have some of daves guards and my findings are that the older ones that were galvanised soon dull and fit in. the new ones (sinc?? coated) don't dull , well my steering guard thats been on 18mths doesnt seemed to have.

i have painted them in the past but it soon comes off, sometimes in flakes.

i would jsut leave them as they are.

i have some of daves guards and my findings are that the older ones that were galvanised soon dull and fit in. the new ones (sinc?? coated) don't dull , well my steering guard thats been on 18mths doesnt seemed to have.

i have painted them in the past but it soon comes off, sometimes in flakes.

i would jsut leave them as they are.

I left my Rebel4x4 guard as it came.

However, with the long shocks and the axle at full droop I found the steering rod was binding (bending even!!) on the guard so had to take a huge chunck out of the guard with a gas axe (thanks Tonk). Anyone else had this problem?

Anyway that, road salt, rocks and now bent as well it looks far from bling.

Flame me if I'm talking rubbish.... :P

but I thought that painting a galzanised component kinda defeats one of the benefits of galzanizing in that exposed zinc sacraficially protects any exposed steel (plating scratched off). If you paint the zinc then the electolitic cell cannot be establshed because its now insulated from the water which would effectively be the electyrolite.

I guess it would be a fairly rotten guard if you managed to rust a hole through it but it is a good reason not to paint a galz chassis on the outside... Give it a good wayoyl on the inside but leave plenty of surface area exposed to provide the cell with ions.

:unsure:

but I thought that painting a galzanised component kinda defeats one of the benefits of galzanizing in that exposed zinc sacraficially protects any exposed steel (plating scratched off). If you paint the zinc then the electolitic cell cannot be establshed because its now insulated from the water which would effectively be the electyrolite.

That's a fairly convincing argument for not painting 'em.

I guess it would be a fairly rotten guard if you managed to rust a hole through it

I reckon it'd take quite a while to rust through 5mm of steel, even if I moved back to Aberdeen... it'd look a mess though.