insa specials v colway mt

gav-

Any pics of them on a discovery?

Any preference?

I am thinking of getting a set of 265/75 for a 200tdi 5 door disco with a OME 2" lift to be used as a greenlaner/ tow vehicle

I have read all the posts about the insa specials, but not many on the colways

the colways dont look as aggressive to me, which may be better on the road.

cheers

I've run colways on the road and they were leathal, really really bad tyre. i never used them off road but i've seen plenty of people useing them and they seem allright but not fantastic.

As for insa's Rog (istruggle2gate11 on here) runs them on hs rany and for offroading he rates them very highly, he does use them for towing his caravan to events but by his own admission only when he has to.

I run 33" bfg muds on my daily rangy which i tow a lot with and they are supurb, off road they work well (better than colway's but not as good as the insa's) wereas on the road my goodys are fantastic i've done 15K on them and i've barely lost 1mm in tread.

I have a set of the Special Tracks and I can't be doing with the noise and handling on the road so I took them off again and they are sitting in the garage while I decide what to do with them.

Not sure I would want to tow with them based on the handling without a trailer on the back...

I think regardless of what make of tyre you use, inended use is the defining factor.

The better a tyre is off road the less you should expect of it on road.

I have some extremely aggressive off road tyres on my S3 SWB but i don't expect them or the S3 to perform on road. I have road tyres on my disco but would not expect them to perform very well off road.

It's a matter of compromise, if you are only going to engage in some gentle green laning then consider AT's rather than MT's as they will give better onroad performance.

Nigel.

thats the problem,

it will spend 50% on road getting me to and from comp events and the rest greenlaning and playing with.

I really like the look of the insas, but i cant be silly about it.

Are there any other recommendations, which are cheap. (50-60 quid a tyre)

Any pics of them on a discovery?

Any preference?

I am thinking of getting a set of 265/75 for a 200tdi 5 door disco with a OME 2" lift to be used as a greenlaner/ tow vehicle

I have read all the posts about the insa specials, but not many on the colways

the colways dont look as aggressive to me, which may be better on the road.

cheers

Hi it is not what you are looking for but I drive one my disco is GREENWAY MACHO TYRES 265/75/16 not a problem so far :rolleyes:

the kumho kl71 look like a great tyre, pa****ks are doing a 16inch rim but only 205,

its a shame there not in anything bigger as they would be perfect i think, are they an other tyres like these?? but in a 16" rim size?

the kumho kl71 look like a great tyre, pa****ks are doing a 16inch rim but only 205,

its a shame there not in anything bigger as they would be perfect i think, are they an other tyres like these?? but in a 16" rim size?

Hi take a look at this www.sowdentyres.co.uk. :D

I run 33" bfg muds on my daily rangy which i tow a lot with and they are supurb, off road they work well (better than colway's but not as good as the insa's) wereas on the road my goodys are fantastic i've done 15K on them and i've barely lost 1mm in tread.

bfg's get my vote, i ran a set of 33" in my old series 2 and series 3, now have a set of 35"x12.5"x15's sat under my series 3 lwb :D

last time i looked, the normal sizes were sensibly priced and are a very good dual use tyre.

Colway MT's are a bit wandery and noisy above 60 but for VFM you can't beat them, they're not going to kill you you just need to drive to suit. I know quite a few people who run BFG MT's on the road and reckon they're the dog's danglies if your pockets will stretch. They go for thousands of miles too, a mate runs them and sells them for good money as part-worn after about 30-40k :blink:

I have Colway AT's on the RR which does 90% on-road and towing but when I took it round Seven Sisters I was well impressed, if you're not playing hard I would consider a set as they're cheap as chips and the tread pattern is a rather blatant copy of the BFG AT's :D

Colway MT's are a bit wandery and noisy above 60 but for VFM you can't beat them, they're not going to kill you you just need to drive to suit. I know quite a few people who run BFG MT's on the road and reckon they're the dog's danglies if your pockets will stretch. They go for thousands of miles too, a mate runs them and sells them for good money as part-worn after about 30-40k :blink:

I have Colway AT's on the RR which does 90% on-road and towing but when I took it round Seven Sisters I was well impressed, if you're not playing hard I would consider a set as they're cheap as chips and the tread pattern is a rather blatant copy of the BFG AT's :D

Hi and ti is the cheapest place I faund.http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk/index.html <_<

Insa specials ar very aggressive, might do aswell looking at one of the other Insa tyres.

They do Sahara's which are like greenway macho's

They also do Dakars(i think thats the name) which are AT's.

I have the sahara's o my hybrid, previously a rangey, seem ok, but done limited miles soo far.

Just as an aside, but 265/75's on a 200TDI used for towing? i think you may find the gearing a bit high for that if you retain the 1.2 transfer box...

I run 255/70's on my (albeit a bit tired) 200tdi disco, and the gearing is a bit high on that before I try and tow anything. The solution is to go for a 1.4 transfer box from a defender, and then you can fit defender sized tyres...

Cheers

Mark

People badmouth them, but www.bronco4x4.com reckon to have sorted their construction problems. They wear fast, but you can't beat ££ for your rubber.

I don't think they have. There is a set of Grizzlys here on a Discovery imported from UK and after a bit of use on the roads here they are absolutely shredded, blocks falling off all over the place. I'm surprised the guy is still using them, I keep meaning to get a photo but on the odd occasions I have seen the vehicle I have never had a camera with me.

Another vote for the macho pattern although i run the fedima version available from simmionites which was around before the macho, they have worn very well and are a good compramise :)

I don't think they have. There is a set of Grizzlys here on a Discovery imported from UK and after a bit of use on the roads here they are absolutely shredded, blocks falling off all over the place.

We've had a set of 285/75-R16 Grizzlies on the 90 for just over a year now and they're holding up well. All blocks still intact! Pretty chuffed with them on the whole -- good off-road and IMHO you need to pay considerably more to get something that significantly betters the GCs off road.

I know a couple of people who recently replaced GCs with the Fedima ET copies and there's no evidence they can get further on the Fedimas than they could on the GCs. (Real Simex ETs are obviously a different matter through...)

Got the GCs to replace 265/75-16 Colway MTs that were on the 90 when we bought it. I found the Colway's pretty mediocre TBH. Just about OK off road, not particularly good. And for what they are they're very noisy on tarmac.

cheers for the reply,

i have kinda more drawn to the insas really, but will let you know once purchased them

I'm currently running vehicles with both the Insa Special Tracks and Fedima Sciroccos.

I find the Insas to have softer sidewall than the Fedimas. The insa is great when its aired down, but needs to run a higher pressure on road to compensate for the soft sidewall. This makes them a bit noiser on road, and they are already louder then the Fedimas.

The Fedimas sidewall is very stiff and makes them very good on road. I run them at 20psi on road (RRC) with no problems. The Insas need to be nearer 32psi to give a similar feel, but the fedimas still have the edge. You can feel the Insas squirming more, probably because their slip angle is greater to start with.

The tread on both tyres looks similar, but the Insa has thinner lugs, meaning the gaps in between are bigger, hence the noise.

Off road, both tyres shift similar amounts of mud, but the Insas have the edge when the pressure is dropped as they flex better.

I prefer the Fedimas, but the Insas are still a very good tyre.

Paul. :)

post-1435-1174436444_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1174436474_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1174436488_thumb.jpg

I'm currently running vehicles with both the Insa Special Tracks and Fedima Sciroccos.

I find the Insas to have softer sidewall than the Fedimas. The insa is great when its aired down, but needs to run a higher pressure on road to compensate for the soft sidewall. This makes them a bit noiser on road, and they are already louder then the Fedimas.

The Fedimas sidewall is very stiff and makes them very good on road. I run them at 20psi on road (RRC) with no problems. The Insas need to be nearer 32psi to give a similar feel, but the fedimas still have the edge. You can feel the Insas squirming more, probably because their slip angle is greater to start with.

The tread on both tyres looks similar, but the Insa has thinner lugs, meaning the gaps in between are bigger, hence the noise.

Off road, both tyres shift similar amounts of mud, but the Insas have the edge when the pressure is dropped as they flex better.

I prefer the Fedimas, but the Insas are still a very good tyre.

Paul. :)

Excellent, informative post - and very useful pictures too. Helps no-end if (like me) you are trying to decide what to buy!

Rog