To NAS or not to NAS - that is the question

Hi

I have been pondering NAS lights. I like the idea of better visibility but I do worry it will muck up the clean look of The Beastie. I also have a swing away wheel carrier on the rear door so there may be a wee bit of a conflict at the back.

What are current views on this?

I am not overly precious in that it is only 1991 not classic but it is still the best thing on wheels I have ever had and I do not want to spoil it!

Thanks

Malcy

I just fitted the back ones, very happy with the look. Did it two years ago.

Did not change the front as they seemed a bit bulbous. Just my person opinion.

They are MUCH brighter than old knackered LR ones.

When you do the back the top ones need the holes moved inboard slightly otherwise the surrounds can stand proud of the bodywork.

Rich

I really like the looks of NAS spec lamps. On my last 90 I just went for the for and reverse lamps to replace the awful oblong items:

post-260-1176471938_thumb.jpg

With the new hybrid I decided to go whole hog and fit them all round (even on the tray at the rear):

post-260-1176471917_thumb.jpg

post-260-1176471738_thumb.jpg

So far I've been really pleased with them. Time will tell how much more they are prone to damage than the OEM items.

I have fitted them on my 90 with a swing away spare wheel carrier and it's not a problem. I now have twin rear fog lights and twin rear reversing lights. I'll take a piccy over the weekend if you want to see what they look like.

Ivan

Fitted them to my 90 7-years ago and still love them, went for a full set of twelve and haven't regretted it at all. Have a WH spare-wheel carrier fitted and there is no conflict at all. Yes the holes need re-drilling but even with my lovely new panels I didn't hesitate because I knew they were what I wanted. As the units are a larger diameter and have a silver reflector they have a far better spread of light making the vehicle more noticeable, the reversing lights are also a great success and have a better spread of light than the rectangular LR units.

The only problem I have had is that the front lenses started to craze where the vehicle sits facing the strong afternoon sun so I fitted a new set of four last week, decided to go for all white units with amber bulbs for the indicaters and it works very well. Prices have come down in recent years and you can now pick them up for £5 each, add another £1.50 or so for each connector.

The same lamp units are now available with LED's (not just an LED bulb but a full panel of LED's across where the reflector normally sits), currently looking into replacing mine with these.

Thanks

The pictures look good. I am converted.

Have been trying to google led NAS lamps since the idea is very sound but cannot find any despite various searches. Has anyone actually got them, and if so where did they get them from.

I presume I will be able to hook into the existing wires - I ask since one place was selling a kit for TD5 and 300Tdi which made me wonder.

Malcy

Bit O/T

Ivan

Can you please tell me what make your spare wheel carrier is please.

Cheers

Looks like the Bearmach one on mine. The Bearmach one is top quality stuff, no rust anywhere on it, 7 years on and it has greaseable (via nipples) hinges. Fitting instructions weren't very good though.. :unsure:

FWIW: VWP are probably the most expensive place to buy the lamps. There are tons on eBay or shoparond the usual suspects - Paddocks, Craddocks, etc. Prices seem to have come down recently on multiple lamp packages. I managed to pick some up at the Donington Show recently for £4.00 a lamp. VWP want just short of £20 per lamp with the mount!

On a 1991 vehicle you will need new wiring connectors to mate your existing wiring with the bulb holders on the NAS lamps.

FWIW: VWP are probably the most expensive place to buy the lamps. There are tons on eBay or shoparond the usual suspects - Paddocks, Craddocks, etc. Prices seem to have come down recently on multiple lamp packages. I managed to pick some up at the Donington Show recently for £4.00 a lamp. VWP want just short of £20 per lamp with the mount!

On a 1991 vehicle you will need new wiring connectors to mate your existing wiring with the bulb holders on the NAS lamps.

Kev

Thanks for tip re: wiring connectors. Looking at the MM4x4 site they had a two pin connector (STC1188) and a 3 pin connector (STC4637)

Having never seen the back of a NAS unit do you have any idea which I might need?

At worst I can order the NAS units and when I see them I can order the right connector but it would be neater to have all the parts together so I can do the job over a weekend rather than two!

Also are NAS units all much of a muchness or does better price generally get a better unit? Sorry still a bit green behind the ears on these things. Always a little bit suspicious of eBay stuff.

Best wishes

Malcy