Defender differences

I'm a bit new to Defenders guilty_h4h.gif and I'm looking to buy one. yahoo.gif

My question, probably daft, but what is the difference between the 1989 (TD) and the 1990- (TDi). I realise the engine difference!! (not that daft) but was there any other upgrades/changes from the Td to the Tdi?

I may purchase a 1989 model with a 200TDi unit in you see!

I'm a bit new to Defenders guilty_h4h.gif and I'm looking to buy one. yahoo.gif

My question, probably daft, but what is the difference between the 1989 (TD) and the 1990- (TDi). I realise the engine difference!! (not that daft) but was there any other upgrades/changes from the Td to the Tdi?

I may purchase a 1989 model with a 200TDi unit in you see!

Don't think you'll find much. Rear disks and 24 spline axles didn't come in until the 300TDi.

Rear discs did come on a 200tdi but only on the last year or so.. e.g. 1993/4 My one is a 92 - so I just missed out.

I think the power steering box is different (as in number of bolts - again my one is a 6 bolt, I think td's are 4 bolt - don't know for sure though)

Only suttle differencess. . like power steering fluid reservoir is slightly different, the steering wheel is different too. erm.. and I think if yours has one at all the rear wash wipe water bottle is in the rear door itself.

This is all from memory from my 1985 model LR CSW.

Other than that pretty much all the same, -- don't know if the gear box is a four speed or 5?

someone else on here will know.

Guest diesel_jim
Other than that pretty much all the same, -- don't know if the gear box is a four speed or 5?

someone else on here will know.

90's were all fitted with 5 speeds (thats when they introduced the LT85), only the 110 had the 4 speed LT95

all diesel 90/110 had 5 speed LT77, '89's 4 spoke RR type steering wheel, Defenders have a 2 spoke design,cloth trim on seats if it's a County all others had vinyl, side stripes, '89 County's had body colour grille/headlight trim panels, '90 ones are black even on County's, other than that and the engine, not much else was different.

I have an early genuine factory (VIN confirms it) 200tdi 110 CSW and that has body color black bits and 4 spoke steering wheel. That'll be LR using up the left over old parts I guess :rolleyes:

It has one washer bottle for front and back, plastic ZF PAS reservoir, 6 bolt box, and full cloth seats FWIW

IIRC even TD's have smooth roof and push button doors.

Just had a thought (no laughing at the back): when was the intermitant wipe introduced was that with the 200tdi or earlier. Mine has it BTW.

Just had a thought (no laughing at the back): when was the intermitant wipe introduced was that with the 200tdi or earlier. Mine has it BTW.

300tdi i think, well certainly before td5. shame they havent sort the rear one Int as well

I have an early genuine factory (VIN confirms it) 200tdi 110 CSW and that has body color black bits and 4 spoke steering wheel. That'll be LR using up the left over old parts I guess :rolleyes:

It has one washer bottle for front and back, plastic ZF PAS reservoir, 6 bolt box, and full cloth seats FWIW

IIRC even TD's have smooth roof and push button doors.

Converted my '89 to intermittent wash/wipe, see thread in tech archive, it was fitted from VIN MA 939976 to 90/110's, my '89 has a smooth roof, neptune cloth seats & other details as you have mentioned above :D

Converted my '89 to intermittent wash/wipe, see thread in tech archive, it was fitted from VIN MA 939976 to 90/110's, my '89 has a smooth roof, neptune cloth seats & other details as you have mentioned above :D

Hi Ralph,

My 1993 200tdi VIN LA936228 has intermittant wipe. Looks like another anomaly!

:blink: Wow you guys! Thanks for the info, I get the trend here, there are some minor subtle differences, which is great news!

Looks like I might be the proud owner of a 1989 defender with a 200TDi engine by the weekend!

Sounds like a great choice. Post up some pics when you've got it :)

My '91 90 (HA472...) has intermittant wipe too, along with vinyl front seats and cloth rears, no carpets, ribbed roof, black black bits, county stripes, Defender 90 stickers on the back, no PAS and a petrol engine. Not sure whether it was a truckcab or hardtop originally (it's got the cleats on the rear tub for a soft top), but it seems to have changed a fair bit since it left the factory!

Richard

:blink: Wow you guys! Thanks for the info, I get the trend here, there are some minor subtle differences, which is great news!

Looks like I might be the proud owner of a 1989 defender with a 200TDi engine by the weekend!

a very nice combination, my '89 has the same engine now done well over 260,000 & I've not had to lift the cylinder head yet :D

Did they get rid of the hole in the front panel for the starting handle with the 200Tdi, or was it the 300Tdi? Could even have been the Td5 although to the best of my knowledge the last engine to have the starting dog on the crankshaft was the 2.25P (which only went in the Niney for a year or so). Still, it's handy for running winch wires/pipes through :)

1) The LR 90/110 had sealed beam headlight the defenders don't.

2) Galve cappings were as the defender has painted/rusting ones.

3) 90/110 have glass bullet fuse box and a defender has blad type and more of them.

4) smaller wheel bearings in defenders which is why older truck car run big wheele and not have any trouble but a defender will munch wheel bearings a bit quicker.

most of the changes are for the better

1) The LR 90/110 had sealed beam headlight the defenders don't.

2) Galve cappings were as the defender has painted/rusting ones.

3) 90/110 have glass bullet fuse box and a defender has blad type and more of them.

4) smaller wheel bearings in defenders which is why older truck car run big wheele and not have any trouble but a defender will munch wheel bearings a bit quicker.

most of the changes are for the better

The newest Defenders are back to galv cappings now B) should never have changed IMHO, the worst of the bunch were the early Td5s most of which now have red rusty body cappings. Not sure when they changed back, but I think it might have been from the 2002 model year with the new dash.

I think the wheel brgs are all the same size just that the older ones are oil lubricated and the newer ones are grease lubricated (and mud/water lubricated when the seal fails). AFAIK the same basic bearing fits everything from a Series 3 right through to something the age of mine, stub axles, oil seal and hubs etc are different on some and the adjustment is different from Td5 age (a fixed selectable shim between the brgs and a big stake nut rather than double nuts and lock washers for adjustment) but I am pretty sure the actual bearing is the same.

Turbocharger, I am sure the 300s don't have a hole for the starting handle - my 1995 90 didn't anyway - though not sure when it changed. Most of them are hidden by number plates so it's hard to tell!

The other thing that has come back into the design in the last couple of years is a ribbed roof B) funny how history repeats itself :)

My '89 110 has the starting handle hole, my mate's '94 300 doesn't, also it has replaceable bulb headlamps not sealed beam,but that's because mines a CountySW,

if you look at the new ribbied roof it looks like a 2 piece assembly, with the pressed in ribs just to prevent drumming, their not as tall as the original roofs. :D

Yer but F & G (89) is when the defenders came out before that they had sealed beam.

There is a diffrant part number and the box for the front bearing that is sat on my fridge at home waiting to be fitted (been there for 6months) is bigger than the box with new bearing next to it for the back axle which is from a 300tdi 90(disc).

That explaned why I was for ever titening the back ones up and never toucked the front.