Well, I've gone and done it....

will_warne

run a standard sized intercooler (giving quicker response than a large one)

Perhaps I'm missing something but WTF does intercooler size have to do with engine response apart from the obvious cooler charge = more power and less restriction = better reponse, how does smaller = better?

I think Will's referring to the smaller volume of gas in the induction system, therefore less gas to pressurise before that pressure reaches the intake port. In practice, I'd be very surprised if the internal volume of the intercooler and some pipework wasn't negligible in the face of the high-speed gasflows concerned.

Perhaps I'm missing something but WTF does intercooler size have to do with engine response apart from the obvious cooler charge = more power and less restriction = better reponse, how does smaller = better?

Fridge, its about the path length of the air (which acts in a simerlar way to a spring). Because the engine in where it is I couldn't fit a single pass intercooler in front of the radiator, it would have to be double pass. that means you've got a much longer pass. Off road the larger intercooler means there's more of a wit between putting you're foot down and waiting for things to happen, not good. Airflow also isn't huge off road so the differance in cooling will be negligable between big and small. On road, there's no contest, a bigger intercooler is best however, a nice compact intercooler with good gas flow and low pressure drop works better. In the end, what's better; less, low pressure cool air or more, higher pressure warmer air?

James. Its very tempting, I'm going to have to think about it however I'm spending a lot of time up in the North East at the moment and I'm coming down for Sodbury. However, I really want to test the auto.....

Edited to add after TCs post, the path length is probably twice as long on the bigger intercooler, that means twice as long to respond (which is noticable). On road you probably won't notice it but off road when I put my foot down I want things to happen ASAP. Personally I'd give up a little power for better drivability.

Well that explains it, thanks Will.

It also leads me to a question - off-road, will an intercooler be doing any cooling what-so-chuffing-ever? Sat next to the rad in a hot truck doing 0mph (and that's not (just) a thinly veiled dig at Will's driving :D ) it would seem more likely that the intercooler would be contributing nothing or even heating up the inlet charge. Would you be better off with a much shorter less restricted inlet tract and no intercooler whatsoever?

Has anyone ever measured it?

Any volunteers?

Nice job Will

but I'd lose the spot lamps covering the intercooler/rad in the pic you have only approx 20% of the intercooler facing the airflow.

Tony, I'll be doing something differant with the lighting soon anyway as they won't fit where they are once I long drum the winch.

Well that explains it, thanks Will.

It also leads me to a question - off-road, will an intercooler be doing any cooling what-so-chuffing-ever? Sat next to the rad in a hot truck doing 0mph (and that's not (just) a thinly veiled dig at Will's driving :D ) it would seem more likely that the intercooler would be contributing nothing or even heating up the inlet charge. Would you be better off with a much shorter less restricted inlet tract and no intercooler whatsoever?

Assuming you have a fan fitted (viscous, fixed or a running electric) then there is air flow over the intercooler. If you run an electric fan with only an engine switched thermostat then there is no air flow - obviously - unless the fan is running. IMHO Mo Murphy used to suffer with his intercooler mounted on top of the engine and no air flow when stationary.

Chris

off road when I put my foot down I want things to happen ASAP.

Errr so when're you gonna do that then Will...... :lol::lol::lol:

I suppose with one less pedal you've got a better chance of hitting the loud one from time to time!!

My coat? Why thank you! :ph34r:

Oh, and another thing, this time constructive! :P

You might want to think about putting some wire mesh behind those holes in the bonnet to prevent rogue branches getting in?

Has anyone had this problem?

As I am interested in doing something very similar to my 95 D1, are you running stock LR axles?

treetrimmer

Hi there Mr Trimmer, the axles have been modified a little; I've got ARB airlockers front and rear, Maxi Drive halfshafts front and rear and the earlier AUE2522 CV conversion on the front axle (this is due to change fairly soon). Crownwheels and pinions are stock 3.54s but I'll probably make up crown wheel anti flex pads soon.

Bish, I've still got 3 pedals although the clutch doesn't do anything yet ;)

You might want to think about putting some wire mesh behind those holes in the bonnet to prevent rogue branches getting in?

Has anyone had this problem?

I haven't :P:lol:

Lara, why aren't you allowed a handbrake? Is it a legal issue where you live, or a restrictive financial controller? :blink:

excellent work will_warne! i am thinking about putting a HP24 into mya range rover classic, since the HP22 may not be up for the job of dealing with the 4.6 for long.

as far as i understand, you moved the autobox 15 mm forward, the hp 22 with 24 internals being 15 mm longer, did that also mean that you had to move the engine forward 15 mm to make things fit? but then the transfer box would stay were it is and you wouldn't have to change the propshafts?

kind regards

spec

excellent work will_warne! i am thinking about putting a HP24 into mya range rover classic, since the HP22 may not be up for the job of dealing with the 4.6 for long.

as far as i understand, you moved the autobox 15 mm forward, the hp 22 with 24 internals being 15 mm longer, did that also mean that you had to move the engine forward 15 mm to make things fit? but then the transfer box would stay were it is and you wouldn't have to change the propshafts?

kind regards

spec

Hi Spec, if you're using a tuned 4.6 in anger it probably won't last too long behind an HP22 (unless its a 4.2 spec box). You've got a couple of options when it comes to take up the extra length of the new box. You could move the engine (impossible in my case as its quite far forward) or you can redrill the mounts to accept the rubbers 15mm further forward (pushing the box backwards). I did the latter. The front propshaft now has a spacer between the output flange of the t.box and the propshaft. The rear propshaft was custom made by the propshaft clinic (awesome service)

Hi Spec, if you're using a tuned 4.6 in anger it probably won't last too long behind an HP22 (

well just have to just makes such a lovely noise when angry :-)

ok i get it, you made a new hole in the mounting of the gearbox? thought you changed the position on the chassis mount. well rangie is far away at the moment so i can't check propably makes sense when i have a look.

kind regards

ulf