Getting a new Horn - Your thoughts

Hmmmmm

Bit of T&C and repairs today as off for a few days

Hoen didn't work

Check fuse etc etc etc ended up peering at the horn which was a full-of-mud-rusty-mess and thought "Ah found the problem :lol:"

So,

Off to the scrappy maybe tommorrow, whats the best tips for a vechile / horn that has a decent loud horn rather than the

'Mouse trodden on squeak' that so many cars etc seem to have ?

Nominations please :P ??

Nige

i had a peugeot one which lasted two off road trips on my series, then a old transet van, no good either,

Went for air horns in the end and had the horn of my fiesta i used to keep in the shed for the mot and that was it!!

plus, the compressor was great for camping, saved alot of breath for the air bed!!!

James

I have a cheap airhorn (mine was £14 IIRC) fitted to the CBR600. Keep the pipework shortish and run it's relay in parallel with the normal (for MoT) horn. I also used only one of the horns supplied - the piercing one :)

Don't forget to warn the MoT tester though - last time he complained that it had given him a heart-attack :o

On the subject of using them for inflation - do it with caution... Many years ago I tried to do a motorbike tyre with one and it overheated the pump... It never worked again :angry:

My current airhorn is the cheapest I could find, is seven years old and gets used extensively most weekdays (I commute in Leeds). An occasional shot of WD40 up it's intake is the only care it has had and it's still going good.

With the normal (Mondeo?) horn - how about covering it's mouth with a thin plastic film or even a stocking :ph34r: to stop most of the crud? Should still be loud enough for an MoT methinks...

TS

Guest diesel_jim
Mondeo horn will deafen an old lady at 100 paces.

Les.

Headline in tonights Swindon Advertiser

"Collection of old ladies found in Swindon house"

a quite from one of the old ladies "This strange man made us carry his new chassis around the garden whilst he played a tape of a diesel engine"

Living near the Uni in Portsmouth, I got fed up of stoodents dawdlin in front of me at juctions with thier epads in their ears, so I got myself a police siren from these people a couple of years back

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/si...e7ead87ee1a7e27

and fitted the horn on the front of the roofrack, it's really funny watching a gaggle of 'em jump and scatter.

but I've just noticed they now do a 200Watt version... :)

They've also now started advertising in the Landy mags after the interest the got on the London to Brighton run last year.

Headline in tonights Swindon Advertiser

"Collection of old ladies found in Swindon house"

a quite from one of the old ladies "This strange man made us carry his new chassis around the garden whilst he played a tape of a diesel engine"

:hysterical:

Your about to be in soooo much trouble

Nige

Have to say i've tried all sorts of things and the best I've so far found is the standard 90 horn cos it doenst seem to mind mud too much and is reasonably loud!

I had a pair of horns off a mentego which come on a nice ickle bracket on there before, but they kept dieing cos of the mud!

Jon

Living near the Uni in Portsmouth, I got fed up of stoodents dawdlin in front of me at juctions with thier epads in their ears, so I got myself a police siren from these people a couple of years back

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/si...e7ead87ee1a7e27

and fitted the horn on the front of the roofrack, it's really funny watching a gaggle of 'em jump and scatter.

but I've just noticed they now do a 200Watt version... :)

They've also now started advertising in the Landy mags after the interest the got on the London to Brighton run last year.

That's fine until you either get nicked for having it fitted and using it on a public highway or perhaps there's an accident because they ignored the sound as they thought it was just some bloke in a Land Rover and not an emergency vehicle trying to get to an incident in a hurry. The electronic airhorn tone is ok but yelp / wail / piercer / hyper yelp & hi-lo etc are likely to attract the sort of attention you'd be best off avoiding.

BTW 200W electronic sirens have been around in the US for years.

That's fine until you either get nicked for having it fitted and using it on a public highway or perhaps there's an accident because they ignored the sound as they thought it was just some bloke in a Land Rover and not an emergency vehicle trying to get to an incident in a hurry. The electronic airhorn tone is ok but yelp / wail / piercer / hyper yelp & hi-lo etc are likely to attract the sort of attention you'd be best off avoiding.

BTW 200W electronic sirens have been around in the US for years.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well for speed of fix methinks a Mondeo one may be the answer for a few quid.

However...........

For those "Stubborn and hard to move ramblers, chavs, pedestrians * " ( * Delete as applicable)

.........I do quite fancy me one of these :

Me_want_one_of_these.wmv :)

Nige :unsure:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well for speed of fix methinks a Mondeo one may be the answer for a few quid.

However...........

For those "Stubborn and hard to move ramblers, chavs, pedestrians * " ( * Delete as applicable)

.........I do quite fancy me one of these :

Me_want_one_of_these.wmv :)

Nige :unsure:

Nige,

that link don't work for me <_<

And as for "wooo wooo" on public hi-way - goes without saying, only use it for shows... honest officer :rolleyes:

N.

:hysterical:

I feel a plan coming on...........

Does remind me of when I was over at Rogue Vogues some time ago, his disco had a "Homemade" airhorn, Hmmmmm I thought, wonder whats its like

Its loud Nige, Nick said, VERY Loud,

So, we stood next to the disco, and he went 3 2.....1

BARP

And we all jumped.................... even knowing it was coming - Kin hell Nick that WAS LOUD :lol:

Still got it ?

Can you post up a sound bite of it ?

Nige

Been to the scrappy

2 blokes run it, Mr Misery and Mr Helpfull.

"Want a couple of horns" I said "yeah" said Mr misery

"What sort ?" said Mr helpfull ?

"Dunno" I said Loud and cheap ?

"Grab A Battery and we can try some" said Mr helpful

We then went around the yard a "Beeeeping" Barrrrping" and a "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeegghing" and Meep Meeeping, working our way around the motors, then going back to some to try and compare.

After about 25 mins Mr Grumpy exploded

"FFS you to just F pick one FFS you are both doing my F head in O F*****g K ?"

Mr helpfull sniggered,

"Got him, .......he's been a Misery and he's been winding me up all day - well worth the effort" :lol::lol::lol:

So, £4 later saw me with a Pair of 7 Series BMW :blush: Fiaams - now wired up ........and Yep they are LOUD(ish) :unsure:

Do for the mo, now some more research as to Choo Choo option-time Plan B

Nige

[...fitting a siren...]
That's fine until you get nicked for having it fitted and using it on a public highway

Actually, I don't it is illegal to fit a siren, as they are considered "audible warning devices" just like horns.

However, you are quite right that they will attract the wrong sort of attention. A concerned police officer will find something else wrong with your vehicle ...

We then went around the yard a "Beeeeping" Barrrrping" and a "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeegghing" and Meep Meeeping, working our way around the motors

LOL!! Fantastic mental image!

Cheers

Blippie