ITV 4x4 Bashing

Superpants

ITV have decided that devoting an entire hour program to how awful 4x4s are tonight :(

I quote ' Driving Me Crazy. John Sergeant rails against the 4x4 car, arguing that they create far more pollution than is necessary from a motor vehicle and that they are nothing more than a marker of social status'. Oh Dear- that'll be the same old arguments dragged out again about how we are killing the planet.

I suppose I could always watch the other televisual highlight instead- 'The Man Whose Arms Exploded'.

Maybe I'll go and do something useful instead like go to bed early..........

I think I may be wrong but this programme has the GLASS rep for Cumbria and Lancashire Paul De bore and they sit him down and rip him to bits making all the green laners look like monsters

I spent a day in the Yorks Dales with Paul de Borde from GLASS and the TV crew driving a greenlane for this TV programme as 'off-road enthusiasts'. They also filmed with Mike Bartholemew from the Ramblers on the same lane. Paul and the Rambler were then taken to a pub for a head-to-head. I wasn't invited to the pub (to keep it one-on-one), but Paul did tell me he had a really tough time. Bartholemew is the most vocal 'anti' in the UK on the subject of greenlanes and works from a very well rehearsed script.

Whether it's a good or a bad thing, the programme makers contacted us some time ago to say the greenlane segment of the show had subsequently been canned due to them having more than enough material on the other 4x4 subjects. I guess the greenlane debate just wasn't sexy enough for prime time TV. To be fair to the producer, she wondered whether they'd even have room to cover the greenlaning issue when they initially did the filming with us in the Dales.

As I understand it, the emphasis is now on the urban 4x4 debate. John Carroll, editor of LRW and 4x4 mag spent a day with the TV crew on this one.

Kev (from the cutting room floor) Baldwin.

ITV have decided that devoting an entire hour program to how awful 4x4s are tonight :(

Just seen the trailer, I've simply decided I ain't going to bother. The trailer was enough to show that it is just going to trot out the same old anti 4x4 stuff that we are all well familiar with.

The same idiots that will be turned on by this type of rubbish are the same dweebs that placed a 'poor vehicle choice sticker' on one of our vehicles a couple of weeks ago.

This was in Whitby - a town yes , but in one of the most rural parts of the UK.

I have two words for this type of programme - Toilet Television.

Unfortunately the airwaves a full of similar cr@p.

Very much the typical stuff on tv these days. :angry: . ............I reckon .tv will change the stranglehold the old familiars have on broadcasting. :) bring it on broadband tv........anyone bought offroad.tv yet?

you gotta laugh tho eh

Steveb

Typical, get to watch TV at my digs up here in Malvern for a change and I get an anti-4x4 prog :(

Want to shout at the TV a couple of times.

Look at the bad range rover 4x4 driver - he never used 2 hands on the wheel.

When he got in the mini he did.

Couldn't be down to being a freakin auto RR so it would be a bit weird to drive around with 2 hands on all the time while the mini needs you to do stuff with both hands! arghhh

"This was not a scientific study" - yes because chimps have yet to get a BSc and that is all they obviously could get.

what a total load of uteer rubbish, he didn't make one good point with not one piece of scientific evidence, only evidence whas actually what he thought, so when do we get to do a programme on our thoughts about them with a load of scientific evidence to actually prove out point?

James

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

Aw has it finished :rolleyes: ??????

I was so looking forward to it and then seem to have drifted off.......

I watched it and took what he said "on board" the man speaks sence so im selling my defender and going to buy a eco freindly and safe G-Wizz

:D:D:D:D

ye right only an idiot would give him any credability

I watched it and took what he said "on board" the man speaks sence so im selling my defender and going to buy a eco freindly and safe G-Wizz

:D:D:D:D

ye right only an idiot would give him any credability

The G-Wizz is not a car its a 'Quadricycle' which means it does not need to be crash tested in the same way as a car. The result being that it is really a death trap.

Who the **** is John sargeant anyway!! what a waste of a tv licence.Wonder if Ed Cobley realised he was doing his bit to fuel the anti's or wasnt he told how the program biased against 4x4s?

Particularly liked the bit where they showed dead cows in africa and forest fires :lol: FFS!!!

Paul :blink:

Caught a bit of it about some pillock with a lowered yank barge that thought it made him look cool. What a knob, he is just what the antis latch on to.

Didn't see any proper 4x4s on the bit we watched.

The same idiots that will be turned on by this type of rubbish are the same dweebs that placed a 'poor vehicle choice sticker' on one of our vehicles a couple of weeks ago.

Hunt them down.

Beat them to the ground with a 10 spline half shaft.

Apply "I have poor judgement regarding who to sticker with environmental rubbish" sticker to forehead.

Walk away satisfied

:D

Who the **** is John sargeant anyway!! what a waste of a tv licence.Wonder if Ed Cobley realised he was doing his bit to fuel the anti's or wasnt he told how the program biased against 4x4s?

Particularly liked the bit where they showed dead cows in africa and forest fires :lol: FFS!!!

Paul :blink:

John Sergeant was the BBC's chief political correspondent for some years before jumping ship to ITV.

It's also another shining example of why I have given up watching ITV- It now seems to be worse at providing a well balanced, unbiased opinion than the Sunday Sport :lol:

The part that got to me was the Pseudo-scentific 'test' showing the impact of a '4x4' with an 'ordinary' car. Quite clearly shown for maximum shock effect. Had this been compared with the impact of two 'ordinary' cars, I'm sure the view of the two people they were trying to 'brainwash' would have been they would much prefer to be in the 4x4 as they would have been safer!

Oh well- couldn't expect much better really!