Diff Protection Rear - Best / Nicest option ?

This weekend will see me stripping and replacing my old axle casing.

This is a left over from Comp Safari days, the axle casing is tubed with 10mm CDs lathed down to be a snug fit, shoved up (ooer) inside both tubes and welded both ends, this was to stop the casing flexing / bending on "Impact" landings - did the job.

The diff pan had a selection of bits of 6mm plate welded onto the bottom aqnd the face of 3/4 of the pan itself, again for diff pan protection, a work of art but a HUGE amount of time to do, I may repair the casing - or I may not time will tell....but

I have now a brand spanking genuine new and unused 'ABS Casing', which is going on the 90, ....

frankly when I did all the above near 20 yrs ago there were no options for a diff protector, .....and now there are loads. :)

Rather than spend hours 'fabricating' something :blink: inc cutting off the pan and welding on a HD one - which seems a tad mad on a brand new casing and a load of work - so - I would rather for a few quid buy an off the shelf one but which ?

so,

What diff pan protector(s) do you have ?

Good points ?

Bad points ?

Or ..............if now you were buying a new one again, .............which one / what you you buy .....and why ?

Nige :ph34r:

Dunno if it will be anygood, cos its still sat on the dining room floor but i purchased QT diff guards, basically cos they wrapped around a normal diff in the same manner as a salisbury guard does.

I know several other shires bods have them also!

Dont know if that helps or not?

I use the QT diff guards, the rear rock slider guard is particularly good at ensuring the the diff doesn't get hooked up on rocks/stumps and slides over them. Protection of the pan may not be as good as with the simple pan type guards, although the new style QT ones wrap around the pan a a bit more.

North Off Road offer a bolt on pan style diff guard combined with the wrap around of the QT guards, best of both worlds, maybe?

Only drawback of these wrap around type is the slight loss of ground clearance under the diff, but that's worth it IMHO.

I have a QT slider one on the rear of the disco.

It works well, and is very easy to fit (even after it has been sat on a few times) although it does lose you about 10 -12mm of ground clearence. Personally, if I was building an axle from an empty casing outwards, I would put the effort in to replace the diff pan with a Drain Cap (as per BBC's thread a while ago) - it is neater, stronger, and dosn't lose you any ground clearence. It also does not fill up with mud, and make changing diffs even more miserable...

just my thoughts.

Cheers

Mark

I have a QT slider one on the rear of the disco.

It works well, and is very easy to fit (even after it has been sat on a few times) although it does lose you about 10 -12mm of ground clearence. Personally, if I was building an axle from an empty casing outwards, I would put the effort in to replace the diff pan with a Drain Cap (as per BBC's thread a while ago) - it is neater, stronger, and dosn't lose you any ground clearence. It also does not fill up with mud, and make changing diffs even more miserable...

just my thoughts.

Cheers

Mark

Here here. HD diff pan, de-bracket and brake line protectors. It's not massive work for a man of your ability!

Steve Parker Landrovers !

Nige

You could also get in touch with Paul Whiteman, or Rogue Vogue. They were offerring ready to weld on drain end caps a couple of months ago.

I use QT guards front and rear, and have found them easy to fit, and clean out.

Aid.

You could also get in touch with Paul Whiteman, or Rogue Vogue. They were offerring ready to weld on drain end caps a couple of months ago.

I use QT guards front and rear, and have found them easy to fit, and clean out.

Aid.

Can anyone point me at this thread re. drain end caps, I can't seem to find it :(

Mo

:lol:

Git :P

At least thats one bit you didn't break :huh:

Nice work, seems to do the trick, you'd think the open bit each side at the bottom might be vunerable, ....obviously not

I may go this sort of route, ......basically I am thinking of the "Transferable" route rather than the 'having to refab a huge amount of fab work' route if it is wrecked, whereas yours is the simple option, nice and prob with a plasma tranferable maybe....too :)

Might even "Knock up a QT Type" copy :rolleyes: as they seem a F load of money for what they are, .......

and I'll have a spare casing to work around :rolleyes: ................

Anyone care to post up a front side etc pic of a QT guard :blush: Pleeeease

Thinking................................

Nige

I use a QT on the front and a bolt-on pan cover on the rear.

Reasons being is that the QT on the front adds a bit more protection to the track rod.

On the rear I reasoned that I did not need the wrap-around and I wanted to protect the pan (more likely to reverse into a rock).

I have a spare qt guard you can foc its just gettin in my way it will only end up in my garage clearance, they only involve skips though as I have no patience to sell stuff on ebay, any how its in good nick and has all the bolts

I've got a Southdown one. Can't say as it's had any serious abuse yet, but it looks like it should take a fair bit. Doesn't come right up the back of the diff pan like the QT, but it's a sort of 'sled' that wraps up round the lower part of the pan. It's held by two bolts at the front and a hope round the pan with a tab and bolt at the top.

Looks nice if you're after bling :lol:

Geoff - i believe Dave (Southdown) is about to bring out a new front or rear diff protector that will use the same skid plate as his latest design but also have a full covering over the crown wheel cover. it therefore gives good base protection plus has the equivalent style of a 'HD weld in' crown wheel protection plate rather than the strip that the QT ones has. A long time coming as well!!! it will be a bolt on design with the option for a front track rod support as well i think.

Geoff - i believe Dave (Southdown) is about to bring out a new front or rear diff protector that will use the same skid plate as his latest design but also have a full covering over the crown wheel cover. it therefore gives good base protection plus has the equivalent style of a 'HD weld in' crown wheel protection plate rather than the strip that the QT ones has. A long time coming as well!!! it will be a bolt on design with the option for a front track rod support as well i think.

The old style one like I've got offers more than enough protection for my purposes - you've have to be pretty unfortunate to hit the diff pan above the guard (not impossible, I know, but sufficiently unlikely).