V8 owners - favour please

HoSS

Hi, I'm trying to move my alternator from RH to LHS (for onboard air conversion)

But i'm getting a bit confused with which is the correct mounting bracket.

Could someone with a V8 + the altenator on the LHs please take a pic & measure it for me.

I would ideally need centre of alt pulley to centre of PAS pulley & centre of alt pulley to centre of one of the block mounting bolts (not the pivot one).

Then i can fab my own bracket (as they are 70ish quid from LR anyway)

Thanks!

Hi, I'm trying to move my alternator from RH to LHS (for onboard air conversion)

But i'm getting a bit confused with which is the correct mounting bracket.

Could someone with a V8 + the altenator on the LHs please take a pic & measure it for me.

I would ideally need centre of alt pulley to centre of PAS pulley & centre of alt pulley to centre of one of the block mounting bolts (not the pivot one).

Then i can fab my own bracket (as they are 70ish quid from LR anyway)

Thanks!

Amazingly there are a selection of different "Depths" - Oh Joy of BL :lol:

They ALL mount onto the ends of the head.

I can take a pic of mine but it has a Bosch Mondeo alternator (in fact have a look at the V8 Upgrade alternator thread - might be in the tech forum) as this will give you an idea etc.

Then let me know what measurements (if any) you might wnat ?

Nige

I can take a pic of mine but it has a Bosch Mondeo alternator (in fact have a look at the V8 Upgrade alternator thread - might be in the tech forum) as this will give you an idea etc.

Then let me know what measurements (if any) you might wnat ?

Nige

In fact thats fine, I also have a Bosch/Mondeo 90A unit! (I had to make a special bracket adaptor to fit it RHS anyway)

But, found your thread - your alt is still on the RHS. I'm looking for the LHS (aircon) position.

right, to clarify any confusion my post seemed to have caused.

front of engine is where the crank pulley is.

left and right are as viewed from flywheel. (this covers transverse, mid & rear engined vehicles.)

Source: haynes manuals and LR V8 overhaul manual.

explin left and right to an alien!!?!??!

now until someone corresct me, the left hand side of an engine is as viewed from front i.e. odd cylinders on v8 and not as per driver position.

This is photo. you can see the bracket to left of water pulley and the top adjustable bracket is above and painted blue.

Engine is p6 so water punp is different to yours.

I always thought it was done as sitting in drivers seat.

Edit - EPC seems to support that, as it shows the one i want as 'LH'

I have mine mounted on LHS, here is a pic showing the bracket before everything was fitted up...

red23.jpg

And a poor pic with everything in place...

red28.jpg

Afraid I can't take amy more pics, well I can but I can't post them as my card reader is buggered.

Centre pf PAS pully to centre of alt pully is 20cm, centre of PAS pully to alt mounting pivot 13.5cm.

Mounting bolts are one into front of block, sits behind PAS pump and hence is counter sunk. Second mounting bolt is on one of tehe head bolts, which is a stud, but as mine wasn't a stud I drilled the bracket to take a second bolt in to the front of block. There is also a brace bar from bracket to

I always thought it was done as sitting in drivers seat.

Edit - EPC seems to support that, as it shows the one i want as 'LH'

The Nas has the alternator on the offside so that is RH looking from front or on my LH when I am driving looking forwards and I am sitting on the opposite side to most in the UK.

Do you still want pictures and dimensions? Or confused! :D

The Nas has the alternator on the offside so that is RH looking from front or on my LH when I am driving looking forwards and I am sitting on the opposite side to most in the UK.

Do you often drive looking backwards also? :blink::D

Yes thats the bracket i need.

Possibly problem solved as V8RRC has offered me one.

Just need a double V PAS pulley now..... anyone?

Do you often drive looking backwards also? :blink::D

Yes thats the bracket i need.

Possibly problem solved as V8RRC has offered me one.

Just need a double V PAS pulley now..... anyone?

There are different ones of them too! Which PAS pump are you running?

now until someone corresct me, the left hand side of an engine is as viewed from front i.e. odd cylinders on v8 and not as per driver position.

Odd cylinders on a V8 are on the left as viewed from the drivers seat...

I've always understood left and right on a vehicle to refer to be from the perspective of the driver, as that doesn't change depending on where you're standing!

Odd cylinders on a V8 are on the left as viewed from the drivers seat...

I've always understood left and right on a vehicle to refer to be from the perspective of the driver, as that doesn't change depending on where you're standing!

Yes exactly. ok good i'm not going mad..... at least not for that reason anyway :D

IIRC Nearside is relating to the kerb side not the driver? :unsure:

Me now confused.

Why is it that some V8's have the alternator on the right side and some have it on the left? (whilst standing in front of the car and looking into the engine bay)

Has anyone seen a V8 with the air-con compressor mounted on the right side?

My alty is on the right and the air compressor on the left.........post-264-1181831439_thumb.jpg

They're all three bolt - its the offset thats different. What does the pump body look like - is it a cast one, or does it look a bit like a baked bean tin???

Theres a single nut type as well on EPC.

Anyway, the single V pulley i have currently is pressed not cast.

I need a double V to drive the altenator - but if there are several offsets i'm not sure which i need....