Who could buy Land Rover??

chb

It would be interesting for forum members to post their best guesses as to who would/could buy LR , who would be the best fit?

I for one haven't got the foggiest idea, although one of the french companies might fit as they have no offroad vehicles worth mentioning. having said that Renault has Nissan doesn't it?

Charlie

Guest WALFY

Isn't there a bloke in Kent , that rumour has it has 20 mil stashed away after a small job. He is a LR nut and owns his own garage. Seems to be an ideal candidate

My first preference would be JCB because it is the only British manufacturer that I know of with a world wide distribution network, combined with all wheel drive engineering knowledge to redesign Defender and make it successful in the working vehicle market sector..Second choice is a purely sentimental one. If Unipower still exists as a viable concern after being let down by the government when they selected the US built Oshkosh Heavy Equipment Transporter for the Military against the Unipower/Scammel entrant , I would like to them take over Defender, but only Defender, not RangeRover, Discovery and Freelander as I believe these have moved too far away from LandRovers roots and this has effected Defender engineering in a negative way. If Defender isn't split away from the others then I would personally prefer to see it killed off altogether.

Bill.

For me the last 'new' model LR made that I like :rolleyes: is the P38.

If I was to get a defender I would have to have one built/ build one on a galv

chassis, proper engine, auto trans, and lots of goodies.

Whilst on the face of it JCB looks attractive, their later products being advanced but more unreliable (they sound overqualified!), I do dispair that they diluted the brand so much when they put their name to a range of cheap tools.

Is it too much to hope that they might be another John Bloor out there? The man who returned Triumph to a World class manufacturer and even makes a profit.

I don't really understand how Britains economy works but it seems that it has grown much stronger since the demise of British owned high volume car and truck manufacturing, so does it really matter a toss whether Landrover is bought by the Koreans, Chinese, Indians or the Martians ? I'd assume if the Marque survives, the vehicles will still be built in Britain, so jobs for British workers will be maintained. If it doesn't survive many of us will eventually learn what Japanese reliabilty and value for money is all about. :)

Bill.

I don't really understand how Britains economy works but it seems that it has grown much stronger since the demise of British owned high volume car and truck manufacturing, so does it really matter a toss whether Landrover is bought by the Koreans, Chinese, Indians or the Martians ? I'd assume if the Marque survives, the vehicles will still be built in Britain, so jobs for British workers will be maintained. If it doesn't survive many of us will eventually learn what Japanese reliabilty and value for money is all about. :)

Bill.

The overall economy is good, but it favours financial institutions who make big profits by moving other people's money from one pile to another. The gap between the richest and poorest is wider than it has been for ages.

The Top Gear team ought to buy it, that Clarkson fella is minted, Hamster must be worth a few bob, especially after he sues the company that made that dodgey tyre, Captain Slow can't have spent all his earnings on Beer and Pork Scratching yet either. Splendid, thats that sorted. Next problem....

Will :)