Mile Marker Install Photo's Please

mpb

Im thinking of fitting a Mile Marker :ph34r: winch to my Defender (I know it will be slow :rolleyes:). Can some of you who have the ZF74 pump fitted take some photo's of your installs please and answer me a couple of questions. I can't fit a PTO driven pump as I have an overdrive fitted. The winch will be mainly used for tree work (pulling fallen trees out of ponds) and self recovery.

Does the pump run all the time, even when not winching or is there a clutch in there of some type?

If it does run all the time, how much power does the engine loose?

Have any of you had any problems with this set up?

What winch bumpers are you using?

All install tips & advice welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Hydraulic winches are only slow if you use a pump that is not moving enough oil through it, this can be caused by too smaller pump body or by running the pump too slow.

Forget power steering pumps, use a comershal hydraulic setup and enjoy fast reliable winching (all day if needed) :D

Most hydraulic pumps can be used with manual or electro-magnetic clutches so pump drive can be disconected whenever

it not being used.

I run my pump straight off the nose of the crank,no belts, no chains,no problems.(will try to post some pictures)

Hydraulic winches are only slow if you use a pump that is not moving enough oil through it, this can be caused by too smaller pump body or by running the pump too slow.

Forget power steering pumps, use a comershal hydraulic setup and enjoy fast reliable winching (all day if needed) :D

Most hydraulic pumps can be used with manual or electro-magnetic clutches so pump drive can be disconected whenever

it not being used.

I run my pump straight off the nose of the crank,no belts, no chains,no problems.(will try to post some pictures)

i would use a pump of a scag very powerful little unit

Im thinking of fitting a Mile Marker :ph34r: winch to my Defender (I know it will be slow :rolleyes:). Can some of you who have the ZF74 pump fitted take some photo's of your installs please and answer me a couple of questions. I can't fit a PTO driven pump as I have an overdrive fitted. The winch will be mainly used for tree work (pulling fallen trees out of ponds) and self recovery.

Does the pump run all the time, even when not winching or is there a clutch in there of some type?

If it does run all the time, how much power does the engine loose?

Have any of you had any problems with this set up?

What winch bumpers are you using?

All install tips & advice welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi - I've a Milemarker with ZF74 in place of the PAS pump on a V8 auto Defender with A/C. The install includes a pressure relief valve to prevent damage to the PAS box.

No problems - easy as you like - and the most important thing for me is that it is a common PAS pump and the install is exactly the same as the original pump so any old fool (including myself) can fix it. Install is as simple as removing the old one, swapping the pulley over and plumbing in the ZF.

The bumper is a Scrapiron 'extreme'. Has the right look - but most importantly it's strong enough. I wouldn't recommend them though. Try First Four off road perhaps?

Speed-wise its fine for me. Any faster under load would be worrying I think.

Tip: Just keep the steering wheel in the straight ahead position when winching.

I'll do a couple of pics when its next out of the garage if you're interested.

IMG_3486Small.jpg

IMG_2179Small.jpg

Please do post a picture! Such a setup sounds really interresting!

Hopefully these should help you.

If you use a manual spool block rather then the electric one you can control winch speed by feathering the lever giving you even more control.

post-3984-1185128036_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1185128084_thumb.jpg

Hi Old Spot ,

couple of questions: how big is the pump..looks like a 8/9 GPM size ....same as a pto pump

what pressure are you running the system at ? & is the motor on the mm the standard roller stator type?

is there any clutch arrangement on the crankdrive?

what size of tank for your set up?

I do have a spare dedicated zf74 pump/leccy valve block/pipes/brkts for a mm if anyone is looking for one.

cheers

Steveb

Hi Old Spot ,

couple of questions: how big is the pump..looks like a 8/9 GPM size ....same as a pto pump

what pressure are you running the system at ? & is the motor on the mm the standard roller stator type?

is there any clutch arrangement on the crankdrive?

what size of tank for your set up?

I do have a spare dedicated zf74 pump/leccy valve block/pipes/brkts for a mm if anyone is looking for one.

cheers

Steveb

Pump is 26cc (gpm is dependent on drivin speed) which is about the same as pto pumps.

System presure is 200 bar.

Roller stator is standard type R.

Clutch is standard industrial dog clutch from Hydraulic Superstore.

Tank is alloy ex MOD 30L capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

see the ZF4 pump that comes with the mile marker kit for fitting to the 200tdi in the aircon slot,

is that man enough for the job for making the winch fast enough & pull enough like the one on petal? or do i need to throw that TF & use a different pump?

Currently got an XP powered 8274 & "may" consider changing sides

see the ZF4 pump that comes with the mile marker kit for fitting to the 200tdi in the aircon slot,

is that man enough for the job for making the winch fast enough & pull enough like the one on petal? or do i need to throw that TF & use a different pump?

Currently got an XP powered 8274 & "may" consider changing sides

Reach arm back really really far and throw massively TF :) :)

I'd show you a video of my MM and ZF74 at 'full chat' but you'd die of boredom :)

I nearly did filming it :rolleyes:

Works for me as I'm not usually in a hurry, it'll pull enough and all day. If you want more speed it's bigger pump, bigger reservoir, new crontrol block and probably a different pump propulsion method (PTO, crank, or chain) as I think (stand to be corrected on this one) the belts will start slipping fairly quickly if you try to extract a higher load off them.

So in a word no, its not in the same league as Petals Type R -ish Milemarker setup.

Andrew.