another oil query

good morning one and all, just a quick query - I am another one starting maintainence and I went to Halfrauds and oil seems jawdroppingly expensive for good oil. How much does a 300Tdi take during an oil change? What type of oil do you fine folk use and where do you get it from at a reasonable cost? Any help/advice gratefully recieved...

Cheers, Paul

I get mine (Castrol GTX Magnatec Diesel) from Costco. Way cheaper than Halfords (a good £5 / 4litres cheaper) and I've found it good stuff.

When I do my gearbox and diff oils, I'll be going the Difflock route. I've heard Very Good things about their Evo oils.

I get mine (Castrol GTX Magnatec Diesel) from Costco. Way cheaper than Halfords (a good £5 / 4litres cheaper) and I've found it good stuff.

When I do my gearbox and diff oils, I'll be going the Difflock route. I've heard Very Good things about their Evo oils.

Yep, you've herad right - I have there evo oil in my LT77 and it is one of the best upgrades I have made - it really does make a difference. Get some ASAP! Cheers for the advice thus far...

My synthetic gearbox & transfer-box oils are from Difflock (like most people on here!).

The Castol GTX Diesel Magnatec which I change every 6-months / 3K miles is from Tesco. I found that by watching the price closely they often sell it for £5.95 / 4-litres (yes that is correct!). I personally think they get the barcode confused with the 1-litre top-ups but I don't complain and just buy lots of it! As I don't want to store too much of the stuff and I believe it has a 'shelf life' I only tend to buy enough to last for a couple of oil changes as it is a fair bet that sometime soon they will be selling it cheap again.

An oil & filter change uses around 6-litres.

Guest otchie1

I was tempted by Difflock's blather about the wonders of their evolution oils but I am an old (poor) cynic and believe not a word of their 'formulated only for us' nonsense. Packaged as evolution only for us granted, formulated? pull the other it clatters.

Not that I doubt the claims of how good it is just that I doubt it can't be bought elsewhere witha different name on the front for less.

After much pratting about my best guess is that DL's evo1 is just fully synthetic MTF which I get from Beam Ends for 21.65 for 5 litres. I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better but nothing's broken yet and it's a lot cheaper than DL's £12/litre.

I'm guessing that their Evo2 is just fully synthetic EP90 but as I like changing gear-oil regularly that would be a waste so I use plain old EP80/90 which is 9.20 for 5 litres, beating my local auto factor by a fiver (for Comma).

I've not used their engine oil yet but it'll be going in for the next change in 6 months unless maybe I pull by Tesco and see if their Magnatech deal stretches to diesel oil.

I've used BeamEnds quite a bit recently and particularly like their habit of not marking up the carriage costs.

Website can be a maze though....try below for oils

BeamEnds oil

Engine oil, I get from Morrisons Supermarket and change every 3000 miles along with the filter.

An diesel engine designer that I met at Millbrook whilst on assignment there many moons ago when it was still owned by Vauxhall told me that as long as the oil is the right grade, regular oil and filter changing on a diesel is far more important than expensive high quality oils because of the nature of the way in which diesel engines contaminate the oil. There was far more to his explanation but it was over 10 years ago and I can't remember but that's the crux of it. :(

HTH

Mo

Guest otchie1
Engine oil, I get from Morrisons Supermarket and change every 3000 miles along with the filter.

An diesel engine designer that I met at Millbrook whilst on assignment there many moons ago when it was still owned by Vauxhall told me that as long as the oil is the right grade, regular oil and filter changing on a diesel is far more important than expensive high quality oils because of the nature of the way in which diesel engines contaminate the oil. There was far more to his explanation but it was over 10 years ago and I can't remember but that's the crux of it. :(

HTH

Mo

When I was at tech in Meron many years ago the Engine Systems lecturer, a Mr Swineherd, said pretty much the same thing. He apprenticed for Hillman back in the day and had moved on to independent racing car design. It was especially important to change gear oil due to the shearing action of the gears on the oil's polymers (or somesuch).

I use the LR branded engine oil & usually genuine filters or good quaility filters in my 200Tdi, as for axle/gearbox just the normal castrol made ep90/atf where required.

I use Fuch oil from my local agriculutural engineers its reasonable price I buy in 5 gallon drums, it ticks all the boxes specification wise and supports the independant loacl business!

I use Fuch oil from my local agriculutural engineers its reasonable price I buy in 5 gallon drums, it ticks all the boxes specification wise and supports the independant loacl business!

Hi,

I use "high performance turbo diesel engine oil" from my local agricultural merchants (Mole Valley Farmers). It exceeds all the Land Rover specs and is £25 for 25 litres.

I figure that if a farmer is putting it in 60 grands worth of tractor it can't be too bad for a 10 year old Defender!!

Scrumps

Hi,

I use "high performance turbo diesel engine oil" from my local agricultural merchants (Mole Valley Farmers). It exceeds all the Land Rover specs and is £25 for 25 litres.

I figure that if a farmer is putting it in 60 grands worth of tractor it can't be too bad for a 10 year old Defender!!

Scrumps

Similar for me also, A good friend is an agri engineer, who sells oils with his labels on, he reckons they are at the mid-high range of oils, i.e. up with castrol etc.

I buy in 25 litres at a time of all, engine, multitrans, axles etc.

As a side note, bought a el cheapo pump (£20) of ebay and I can fill an axle in about 30 seconds.

Engine oil I use is Millers Diesel XFE. Damned expensive at 12 quid for five litres... Although because I'm away for sixe monthes I bought 25 litres for 61 quid.....

I buy this oil locally from Mitchel Diesel the Detroit and Allison dealer, they have a nice press in their workshop which I can ask to have things pressed if I need too..........

Gear oil I buy from Difflock. I find it very good if very expensive.

You only get what you pay for.

I use Millers Diesel Additive in my fuel.

That and the XFE help me get a good MPG from my Defender.

mike

Hi,

Scrumps

Same for me - have run three tdi's on it ever since moving here 3 years ago, the disco's still going strong at 225k with me dad

i just buy the 5 gallon drums of oil from my local HGV service garage,

£30 for 5 gallons of 15w40 diesel engine oil

£30 for 5 gallons of ep80/90 gl5 tranny oil.

if it works for HGV's and the big 30t earth movers and other plant machinery they service - then it'll be fine in my 90. Afterall, methinks a massive jcb or hgv will put more stress on their diffs than my little 24 spline efforts will EVER experience!!!

cant remember the brand - something like Exxen or something...

as for the difflock gearbox oil - good stuff! Wifes old disco wouldnt engage 2nd gear, totally screwed synchro. But i didnt have time to replace the box so i stuck some difflock oil in - 2nd gear starting working and it lasted another 3 months before i finally HAD to change the box.....

just about to stick some in the wifes new disco 2 - as it whines ever so slightly under full load at high speeds.

• 5 weeks later...

Just noticed Halfords are doing a BYGOF deal on fully synth engine oil. Starts to look reasonably priced; now £32 for 10 litres of PD hyper duper super VW505.01.

Overkill for a 19J but would clean it out a treat.

Just noticed Halfords are doing a BYGOF deal on fully synth engine oil. Starts to look reasonably priced; now £32 for 10 litres of PD hyper duper super VW505.01.

Overkill for a 19J but would clean it out a treat.

lol you could put a drip tray underneath and fill it up again when it pours past all the seals :)

lol you could put a drip tray underneath and fill it up again when it pours past all the seals :)

Does that anyway, it's a feature to ensure a constant supply of clean oil. :rolleyes:

Good call on the tray though...I could sieve it back in.