Crimping tool for battery cable

landmannnn

Hi all,

I would find a crimp tool for battery cable terminals well useful.

(The non crimp terminals that can be bought from motor factors etc aren't very successful)

I have seen these for £120 or so but don't really want to spend that much.

Does anyone know who would sell them a bit cheaper?

Alternatively has anyone made one up? I was thinking perhaps a cheapo set of bolt croppers could be modified to do the same job..

Mike

I made a tool to crimp cables, that fits in my vice. it works very well. it'd be easy to make if you have access to a welder, didn't take very long.

The proper tools do a neater job, if you've only a few crimps to do it is worthwhile trying to find a friendly local garage or auto-sparky who will do them for you.

The best retail price of large crimp tools I have seen are those from Davico; Davico

You may be lucky with a local vehicle electrical factors if you can get a trade discount??

They do turn up on Ebay from time to time at more sensible prices, Mark got one through there. I picked mine up for £15 from the Guildford model engineering show (A real bargain as it was practically unused), so they do crop up secondhand!

I bought a crimping tool and dies from a German seller called 'Rocking.George' on eBay, here are his current listings -

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZrocking.george

He sells three types, 4 to 70mm2, 16 to 240mm2 and 10 to 300mm2

I bought the 4 to 70mm2 kit (which he doesn't currently have on sale), the details are -

6a22_1.JPG

Hydraulic crimping tool for cable sizes from 4-70 mm²

Heavy duty version, pressure 8 tons, see picture!

For electrical cables copper or aluminium compression terminal joints

Best quality, see my feedbacks! 14 days money back guarantee!

Pressure 8 tons. This tool is new, absolutely ok and delivered in a solid plastic box.

Specification

Designed for aluminium or copper compression joints, size 4-70mm²

Max Working Pressure: 8 Tons

Max Working Stroke: 22mm

Plastic Box size: 300mm x 170mm x 80mm Weight 8kg

Included dies: 4, 6, 8, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50 and 70mm²

Rotational Head for easy handling

Also included is a set of new seals just in case the originals were to leak.

It's Chinese made, but it does the job.

I'm really pleased with it.

Paul.

I bought these: Vehicle Wiring Products

tn76.jpg

The handles are a bit short for 35mm and up - but perfectly possible.

Makes a nice neat job and not too spendy!

Si

I have a very expensive version of the ones above (probably the original design on which these were based), whilst dirtydiesel has the ones above also from VWP

I find that you need two people or something to lean the opposite handle into for 70mm2 cable, but I can just manage 60mm2 by myself

The pivot at the handle is showing wear on mine having now done around 60 crimps on 70mm2, the nut becomes slack and the bolt forces washers to dome and eventually push past its head :o

To be fair, they are only intened for use on 50mm2 max so I am pushing them a bit far

Hi all,

I would find a crimp tool for battery cable terminals well useful.

(The non crimp terminals that can be bought from motor factors etc aren't very successful)

I have seen these for £120 or so but don't really want to spend that much.

Does anyone know who would sell them a bit cheaper?

Alternatively has anyone made one up? I was thinking perhaps a cheapo set of bolt croppers could be modified to do the same job..

Mike

Have you tried RS?

rswww.com

warning, you could spend days in their catalogue

So I learn't something new then from the cablecraft link, there are two types of crimp (ignoring the hammer/plier methods):

Hex crimp - squeezes a hexagonal crimp onto the tube part of the lug

Indent crimp - shoves a dent into the tube

I guess both work, the hex crimp looks a bit more professional but the tools are more pricey..

This is a bit bodgy but works a treat, we bought a cheap bolt cutters in Lidl and shaped out the blades to crimp 50 square cable works every time and for about 10 euro :D

I like that solution, with a bit of care some knackered bolt croppers could have a life again.

you mean you're not supposed to use the chassis leg and a lump hammer? :ph34r::ph34r:

:hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...