Any info on Sankeys?

Gromit

Evening All,

Does anyone have a link to info on Sankeys other than the 3/4 ton version? I have the tech handbook for the 3/4 ton version.

Is the widetrack the 1 1/4 ton version? is it the same track as a defender?

Ta muchly for any info, and if you're near me and have one, gimme a shout.

wide track is same track width as defender.

3/4 is the usual one, smaller one is harder to find...possibly because people want them to tow behind "normal" cars???

1 1/4 is pretty big and theres a 1 1/2 that I tried to mount on the back of the 110 once and I couldn't even lift the hitch up as the jockey was broken..

heres my old 3/4 wide track. they are big....and heavy!

sankeyhub3.jpg

sankey%20os.jpg

devon2.jpg

The widetracks are all 3/4 tonne and same track as Defender. There were 3 marks, last type having disc brakes, lots at dealers now as a new trailer has come into service. There is also the 1 tonne rapier reload trailer which I have and Withams have some for sale. Again same track as Defender, lovely trailer but big, heavy and expensive (£1250 with tilt etc)

Next step up is the Arrow 1.5 tonne trailer which are too big for Land Rovers, meant for towing behind 4 tonners. You sometimes see 1 Ton Brockhouse or GKN trailers for sale but these date from 50/60s and are again too big for Land Rovers; being designed for Humber, Austin K9 etc type trucks.

Next step up is the Arrow 1.5 tonne trailer which are too big for Land Rovers, meant for towing behind 4 tonners.

Thanks for the info.

Funny I've just come across a local supplier who has some Arrow trailers, and was going to go and look at them.

How are they too big? Too wide, too heavy? Any links to info or pictures on them?

Cheers,

Aye, was just looking at that.

It's the 1 3/4 tonne though.

At 2.4M wide, I'd be taking cyclists and pedestrians out left, right and centre.

Just phoned Carryduff again looking for pictures of the Arrows and Sankeys they have.

They are the most unhelpful shower I've ever encountered. :angry2:

(edited to add that it also weighs a tonne on its own :o )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a narrow track I might sell for the right price.

It doesn't get a great deal of use. Has all stands etc. Fully wired (Mil. plug), though you might need to check that over. All light fittings have 12V bulbs (I'm told by the previous owner). Brakes work. Been loaded to max (plus a little bit :o ) on recent Operation Aquarius in Gloucester.

Currently in black (mostly) to match previous owner's LR. It's in pretty good condition, bar needing a small plate welding into the offside wheelarch, and a bit of a ding to the front of the tub.

Cheers,

another sankey question.

looking at a 3/4tonne wide track

in the case of a sankey the 3/4 tonne bit refers to the weight it can carry, not its actual weight laden correct?

are they 'plated' at a particular weight? as this would cause me issues as i only have cat B licence currently, working on the +E bit

the manual refers to it as a trailer capable of being towed at 45mph

does this mean it is not legal to tow it at say 60mph in the eyes of construction and use etc?

IIRC 45mph is the preferred convoy road speed, can't see why it would tow properly at normal UK speed limits.

• 2 weeks later...
another sankey question.

looking at a 3/4tonne wide track

in the case of a sankey the 3/4 tonne bit refers to the weight it can carry, not its actual weight laden correct?

are they 'plated' at a particular weight? as this would cause me issues as i only have cat B licence currently, working on the +E bit

Widetrack weighs 509kg unladen (1120lbs)

Max laden weight is 1190kg (2620lbs)

Capacity is 0.75 tonnes (0.67 tons)

This was in the widetrack manual. I think that PDF version is the older narrowtrack.

I was advised by someone who worked for Arrow Trailers a few years ago that they will tow happily at 60mph. The 45mph is a 'one speed fits all' thing for convoys etc as has been previously stated.

HTH

Nige

the manual refers to it as a trailer capable of being towed at 45mph

does this mean it is not legal to tow it at say 60mph in the eyes of construction and use etc?

There are issues with the braking system and the nose-down attitude of the trailer that make it dodgy to tow at anything above 55-60 (from experience), hence the replacement of them with the new trl Lightweight. Which is also shoite in the braking department...........

There are issues with the braking system and the nose-down attitude of the trailer that make it dodgy to tow at anything above 55-60 (from experience), hence the replacement of them with the new trl Lightweight. Which is also shoite in the braking department...........

I've towed the narrow track behind Disco and 90 at legal m/way speeds - but then it was just about empty.

The only times I've had it full (close to 750kg, not saying which side of its capacity :o ) it was mainly in 30/40mph areas, never got above 50 on the only bit of dual carriageway. Towed straight and pulled up well, but I wouldn't want to run much above that for a long period when full.

Cheers,