Safari Snorkel

BogMonster

I was looking at a Safari snorkel today, trying to seal the Rebel one I have was on the "to do" list but I think I might bin it and get a Safari one, the arrangement inside the wing is much, much better and does away with the stupid bits of joined together plastic that LR fit (and which the Mantec/Rebel snorkels still use) also it won't go rusty like the steel ones tend to do if you get a few stone chips in them.

I hadn't done it before as I didn't think the Safari would fit with the roof rack stays (which go down to the windscreen frame "hinges") but having looked at the one at work today, in fact it sits outside that, so should fit just fine :)

So, any good prices on offer and where from? Is there a "UK dealer" - couldn't find anything on the Safari Oz website.

Ta

The way the Safari snorkel is attached to the wing is a bit weak I reckon. I fitted one on a 90 and I modified the fixings to be stronger. However, I like the style better than any other snorkel.

I can't remember where it came from though, but prices vary by £30.

All the usual suspects sell these, and some are damn expensive (and not necessarily painted red :P )

Les. :)

Wot the f are you lot on about, running over tow ropes tied to snorkels? :huh: there is obviously a story behind this that I haven't heard!!! What is the attachment to the wing then? the bracket that goes onto the windscreen frame is a lot stronger than the other ones I have seen.

Tony I don't really like the appearance of the Southdown one, it was a monstrous price last time I looked and it also means chopping a hole in the top of the wing which I don't want to do either - and I'm not 100% convinced it will fit with the Brownchurch roofrack struts anyway? There are no trees to run in to here so the fact that the Safari sticks out a bit more is not a problem :)

Just out of interest what is the diameter of the drainpipe on the Southdown? just wondering if there is anything in it as far as restriction on the air intake goes as with intercooler/pump tweaks planned for the future I want lots of air :)

So there are no good deals on offer then? :( Kind of hoped somebody was going to say "oh yes they are £50 cheaper than anywhere else at XXX"

I might be able to get one from Bearmach at a good price as we do a lot of business with them through work (good prices on everything else, got a T-max hand winch on order at a lot less than the retail price...), will try that, any other supplier suggestions gratefully received... have also sent an email to Safari to see if they want a distributor here :)

Wot the f are you lot on about

Ah well, we fitted a Safari snorkel to the 90, and as there have been comments about them getting ripped off the wing due to the poor fixings, we decided to improve how it's secured. On an off-road meet to Bampton woods I fixed the tow rope to the front of the 90's military bumper and then looped it around the snorkel. Unfortunately the loop slowly worked it's way down the front of the vehicle and as Sue was turning into Bampton woods the loop went under one of the wheels and brought the 90 to a dead stop. I thought the gearbox had seized, but it was the rope under the wheel.

So you could say that the way we fitted the snorkel was strong enough to stop a 90.

Les.

Paddock spares seem to have the best price - £124 + vat - I havn't seen them any cheaper. Andy.

Ahem, Andy - try LR Supermarket, currently offering Defender 300 Tdi and Td5 for £125 inc Vat - here

I bought mine for £85, but I had to go to Brisbane to pick it up. Fitting [300 Tdi] was simple and took under an hour. For what it's worth, I think the Safari is the most robust and best looking option. Fitment to the upper bulkhead is by six self tappers, so it offers a relatively strong mount at the most vulnerable point. Lower mounting is by three beefy studs. Subjectively, the ram effect spins the turbo slightly more readily.

safarisnorkel300tdidrawing5rm.gif

Being an even-handed kind of guy, I draw your attention to this article on problems fitting one to a LHD Defender here - and it might well be that a RHD only item was bought by mistake [??]. He points out that it comes with a new flexible connection hose that will have to sit in the same area where the heater unit's blower motor is located on a LHD truck, requiring the connector to be cut off - see below.

safarisnorkelmodified1rt.jpg

In his view, a 1-part design may look good, but functionally it is inferior to 2-part snorkels that use flexible pipe between 2 parts, because upper and lower body panels are not properly aligned on all Defenders. The three main connection bolts are only accessible from the engine compartment, in a location that is impossible to access on LHD vehicle without removing heater unit first. So if the nuts loosen or the foam gasket will flatten over time and needs some thightening, you'll need to remove heater unit every time and that is unneccessary PITA, especially on an expedition. Mantec snorkel has screws outside, so you can install, check and tighten them easily. Also, Safari Snorkel uses separate studs, bolts/studs that are permanently connected to the snorkel. So more potential for something to loosen up. The studs are pretty loose (could be more precise fit), you'll need to use a lot of thread locker or glue to minimize the risk of loosening.

You need to drill 3 big (16mm suggested, although this size seems way too big for 8mm studs) holes around your air intake vent. Not a too big problem, but why isn't it possible to use existing mount as Mantec snorkel does, without drilling any holes to the car body. Finally, the bottom of the snorkel contains an unneccessary "pouch" -- air passing hole is way above the bottom of the snorkel - and this pouch will collect 0,5 kilos of dust and garbage which you can't get it out easily because there is no "drain" valve on the bottom of the snorkel. The only way to clean it is to remove the snorkel. But removing this is... see point #3 above. It will most probably fit better on a RHD 300TDI vehicle, using the supplied replacement air hose. My modification makes it possible to install it, but the connection will not be too good (unless you go ahead and make some more modifications).

No pleasing some bloody people.

Neil

I always advise against Safari snorkels unless they are just for posing at the supermarket. IMHO they are the best looking snorkel for a 90 but are very vulnerable in tight greenlanes where trees tend to get in the way and cause damage. In a land without trees however... I would have one tomorrow!

Chris

Im not sure how well they seal but i can vouch for seeing them getting caught up on trees, however they do flex surprisingly well :lol: , however the studs holding the pipe to the windscreen were pulled through the plastic, but it needs a weekness somewhere or it might damage the windscreen pillar and not many people wade that deep anyway.

The one on steves hybrid which tim now owns has just a few battle scars, not sure if it still seals, but its a V8 so will die before it gets to deep into the water anyway. :P

Jonathan

Cheapest I have found so far Famous Four at £124.50

IMHO they are the best looking snorkel for a 90 but are very vulnerable in tight greenlanes where trees tend to get in the way and cause damage. In a land without trees however... I would have one tomorrow!

That would be me then :lol: be a bit after tomorrow by the time it arrives though, about December is more likely :unsure:

I would have said the Safari was a lot bigger than 2.5" bore but I'll have to go and measure one, if the plastic is thick the internal bore might only be about that, not sure how thick they are.

While we are on the subject of Safari Snorkel, i have one to fit for a friend, and he's lost the Template for drilling the wing. Its a 300 type. Anybody care to photocopy one and bob it in the post, or perhaps a pdf will work as good.

Cheers

Ozy :lol:

I always advise against Safari snorkels unless they are just for posing at the supermarket. IMHO they are the best looking snorkel for a 90 but are very vulnerable in tight greenlanes where trees tend to get in the way and cause damage. In a land without trees however... I would have one tomorrow!

Chris

I don't usually go posing at the supermarket but will do if it makes you feel better

:mellow:

As to trees,it sticks out as much as a Mantec or even less.

Anyway,I carry a nice Swedish machete behind my seat.

Re:300 template

a pdf will do that,just scale 1:1

^_^