Narrow 36-38" tyres

FridgeFreezer

After a few outing on the XZL's I have come to the conclusion that, whilst an excellent all-round expedition type tyre, they're no match for more extreme mud treads in the sticky stuff.

The problems I have are:

1) They need to be 35" to keep my gearing nice, and that's really 35" not 35" written on the side but stands 33.5" as some seem to be.

2) I don't want them to stick out any more than they do already, plus I don't want to fork out on a new set of rims, so they need to fit a 7" wide 16" rim.

3) I'm skint, so they can't be megabucks - in my book that rules out BFG, Simex and a few others.

I've found that Fedima do Trekkers (simex copy) in 900x16 that are ~36" high according to King Offroad at £145 per tyre which seems OK. Maxxis seem to be good value but I'm struggling to find size & price info.

So - I'm after suggestions/sources and prices - or if anyone's got a used set of something for sale cheap?

Mr Fridge - why not go for mine (10.50 R20 - which measure a proper 37 even with a Mog sat on 'em).

You'd have to re-centre the wheels, but it'd save you a fortune, plus you could choose offset etc. They are narrow enough, and have decent tread left, and are cheap!

Mr Moglite may have someone interested, but if not, I'm sure we can sort out something you'll like, possibly involving a winch you may or may not happen to have lying around...

Ask Andy for pics of them and see what you think? The only cost will be the centres - you can cut the old ones out with a squirt on me plasma. Not too bad?

Anyway - just an option.

Al :)

The only cost will be the centres - you can cut the old ones out with a squirt on me plasma. Not too bad?

Re-centering wheels would be unknown territory for me, bear in mind the truck does get used for long distance as well as fooling about in the mud.

How would you get a LR stud pattern, usually found on a 16" wheel, onto a 20" rim? I'm having trouble seeing how it could end up looking anything but a bit weird.

If I was going to re-center wheels I'd re-center my old negative offset Volvo rims to LR pattern and run 37x150's which are far more available and would look damn cool :D

I Reckon a set of Fedima anaconders will do the trick. They are a true 35 (not like the Fedima scciroco which is more like 37inch) and they are (a slim) 10.5 inch wide on a 7 inch rim. Tread pattern is a copy of the bogger and they seem to grip very very well. Not too much money, got to be worth looking at.

If you otherwise are statisfied with the XZL (which I think is a superb tyre) and only need some more aggresive traction in mud, you could go the easy way and just temporary fit a set of snow chains on a need-to basis. They are easy to make out of old chain, and can make even road-biased tyres really aggresive in mud.

I like the combination of XZY tyres and snow chains. Best of both worlds.

Fedima look to be in the lead - I like the look of the trial ade but the trekkers are taller, will have to see how they compare on price and see how much blood my credit card is coughing up this month :ph34r:

as i recall your xzl's are pretty worn looking. you could consider a fresher set or maybe even the 9.00's rather than the 255's as they look a bit more aggressive http://www.expeditionexchange.com/michelin/DSC02127.jpg how do yours look compared to that?

in saying that a new set of xzl's is very expensive and as you are doubtless aware, tres heavy. unfortunately, as i'm sure you're also doubtless aware, tall tyres for mixed use are not so common.

another suggestion might eb swamper q78's, 36 10.50 i think. probably pretty noisy on the road and with a reasonably high wear rate. http://www.mda4x4.com/preparaciones/p_cantalejo1.jpg

Fridge, have you looked at the 37" Super swampers on ebay?

Personally I think the anaconda's look really skinny and horrible

bens7.jpg

as i recall your xzl's are pretty worn looking. you could consider a fresher set or maybe even the 9.00's rather than the 255's as they look a bit more aggressive

When I last saw the tyres on Fridges truck they looked quite new, and they are 9.00's IIRC

Personally I think the anaconda's look really skinny and horrible

That doesn't look too bad. If you want to see skinny and horrible try to find a pic of a shiny deep bronze green series 2 SWB truck cab with canvas rear tilt, standard sill panels sitting on stock 6.00x16 bar grips. Truly vomit inducing.

Bill.

When I last saw the tyres on Fridges truck they looked quite new, and they are 9.00's IIRC

if they have the split, which i think they do, they will be 255/100's like these...

255_100_XZL_2.jpg

255_100_XZL_1.jpg

255_100_XZL_3.jpg

if they dont have the split they're 9.00's. i think the split was intruduced due to some cases of the middle block splitting on the 9.00 tread pattern.

I don't think Al's tyres are any more agressive than yours alas.

Thought about a tyre groover ?

There used to be a Babcross style tyre available in 9.00x16 in Italy - that'd give you some grip at the expense of any road manners.

Weren't the Fedima tyres very cheap in Belgium. Cheap enough to warrant a trip ISTR.

Andy

Handy to know, thanks Lewis. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Silverline told me on the phone they would not recommend it, that the tyre could come off the bead (?) and that the world would explode and millions would be killed... OK, maybe the last bit's exaggeration but the gist was they weren't in favour of it.

On double-checking, the only thing Maxxis do that's close is the 37x12.50R16 Creepy Crawler, everything else is too gay small or on 15" rims which wouldn't clear my brakes even if I could afford new rims to go with. Shame 'cos I think the mudzillas look cool.