What colour is my Landy?

Ok, I know it's red, but I can't very well nip into the shop and ask for a tin of red paint and expect it to match, so is there a code anywhere I can look up?

It's a 1996 90, did they come in more than one shade of red? The only info I have is from a paint suppliers web site which said it might be Monza Red (BLVC 590) anyone know if that's right or how I can find out for sure?

Thanks,

John

Could do with a bigger pic old chap ... but I would say it is Portofino Red code LRC390 if it is a standard colour from 1996 build vehicles as that was the solid red colour then. Post up a bigger pic preferably 2 or 3 and let's have a look...

BTW Portofino is also called Arrow Red and I think Corallin Red too on older vehicles but on your age it is called Portofino. They are all the same colour though...

Ralph the dates on that are wrong. Rutland Red replaced Portofino Red from about 97 onwards, can't remember the exact date but I am pretty certain they never overlapped - both were the "solid red colour in the range" and they only ever had one of each solid red, green, blue, white.

I think it was 97 some time that they changed but Rutland Red looks brighter than John's avatar pic anyway.

That's kinda what I was expecting, there's nothing on the VIN plate...is there another plate?

I was only able to find the colour on my 110 (it's Berluga (sp) by sending off a fiver to the DVLA who sent me back a list of all it's previous owners and a photocopy of the original build document from LR stating it's colour/spec.

That's kinda what I was expecting, there's nothing on the VIN plate...is there another plate?

I don't believe LR put a paint code on the vehicle plate. Could never find one on the nas! Mine is white but a creamy white and probably specifically for the nas knowing Land Rover. But I can get exact match aerosol cans from LR.

Land Rover were notorious for not putting paint codes on vehicles, even though there was a perfectly good space on the plate for the paint code!

I usually ring a franchised dealer on vehicles where the paint codes are damaged or missing. The parts dept usually check it on their database which gives the cars original build details. Unfortunately on some older cars they have dropped off the database so it is really a Motor Factor job to check it against the paint swatches.

The other problem is that there a variant shades of most colours by which I mean that as paint batches changed in the factory there will be slight variations in the colour of new vehicles. As an example, Transit vans which are Diamond White have 9 variant shades that I know about!

Mazda don't bother putting codes on theirs now either.

you should really go and get it spectrem analyised and have the paint mixed to the current colour. It might have been pillar box red when new but the sun and weather alters the colour so even if you buy the correct colour by code it will not match. Any decent paint refinishers should be able to mix an aerosol or tin of paint to the correct current colour

paul