OEM v Poly

press out old metalastic bushes, yes i mean press, as in with a press, or burn them and hacksaw the outer steel sleeve to release it, then push the poly bushes into place by hand (they're dead easy)

but be very sure you want them, cos theyre quite pricey and some say they make little to no difference

oh and DON"T BUY DEFLEX WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!

i had to replace numerous bushes on the 90 before i even had it on the road. made like swiss cheese, air holes everywhere and they just crumble completely. put stock ones back in in the end!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. This one comes up all the time!

Very personal preference and for everyone who says they like pollyurathane bushes (Pollybush is a trade-name) there will be someone else (like me) who says they prefer OE rubber.

Yes the quality of pollyurathane bushes varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and as already stated, some are full of air pockets (I inspected most makes then on the market when I was looking for some a few years ago). Likewise, rubber bushes can vary in quality but as long as you are buying OE or genuine you will be ok.

Fitting is not actually very difficult and I have done all mine on the drive without the need for a press or gas-torch (smells and polutes the atmosphere too much anyway).

Drill through the old rubber bush using a hole-cutter and then cut out the outer sleeve using a hacksaw, when the cut is complete (make sure you don't cut into the metal surrounding the bush) the old bush will just push/tap out. Clean up the surfaces, lubricate and press/hammer in the new bush using a drift of a similar size to the outer sleeve (DO NOT press it in using the inner sleeve), I found that some old metal pipe and various sockets do the job perfectly and a vice acts as a reasonable press.

I like the OE bushes, they last well, are easy to replace and cost a lot less than a set of quality pollyurathane bushes.

In a moment of weakness I bought a set of Pollybushes a couple of years ago but they are still in the garage as I can't bring myself to fit them! I am sure I will one day and who knows, I may become a convert but until then I will stick to what the factory use.

Stick with the oem versions every time!

I polybushed my 200tdi disco and over the course of a year threw them all away as the ride was horrific - same as sticking with the origonal steering damper,,,,,only way to go!

davie

Funnily enough I have been thinking of going back to OEM bushes... I have managed to destroy the panhard road polyurethane bushes on my 90 twice in 10 months... from two different manufacturers. To be fair I have not tried proper Poly bush ones... not got the wallet for it.

Anyone tried proper Polybushes and how do they compare with the other manufacturers? (yes sorry I know this has probably been raised elsewhere... :ph34r: )

Shrek

Funnily enough I have been thinking of going back to OEM bushes... I have managed to destroy the panhard road polyurethane bushes on my 90 twice in 10 months... from two different manufacturers. To be fair I have not tried proper Poly bush ones... not got the wallet for it.

Anyone tried proper Polybushes and how do they compare with the other manufacturers? (yes sorry I know this has probably been raised elsewhere... :ph34r: )

Shrek

Is there a tech article on this? Or is it as easy!!! as taking bits off panhard & such, replacing the bush and putting it back on! sounds simple? how long to change them all?

Thanks for the info , from whats been said I think I'll be going with the OEM bush's

Fellas,

Doing a quick search the OEM set and the Polybush sets are over £100 in price and the Deflex systems are about £60.

So... considering the cost comparison are Polybushes as good as OEM? (I am taking it for granted not to get Deflex)

I am swaying over to OEM, Does anyone recommend a supplier for OEM?

Cheers

G

Guest otchie1

I tried drill them out once. Just generated loads of black bits and made the hole saw gum up. 5 minutes with a blow torch and it was a done deal, MUCH easier.

There is a third side to this discussion.

SuperPro.

Yes they are polyurethane but different levels of elasticity/hardeness for different bush positions. A three year guarantee for off road use including competition. Special designs for increased articulation systems blah blah.

Used in serious off road competion by the likes of our own dear sweet Jez. Fit and forget.

I have always been a great fan of OEM bushes , But I have a set of Superpro bushes in the garage , which came from Anton at OEC , and they do look very good quality , They are not split like a polybush so a certain amount of force will be needed to fit them .

Job for over Xmas

Don't want to say it but scrapiron claim a five year guarantee on their polybushes

Sorry

G

Hows that work then ? - a 5 year 'guarantee' ? what -to ignore you, not answer the phone, and be damned right piggin rude if they do ?

You can get that without buying anything - just ring them

Nige

Hows that work then ? - a 5 year 'guarantee' ? what -to ignore you, not answer the phone, and be damned right piggin rude if they do ?

You can get that without buying anything - just ring them

Nige

alright alright keep you hair on! :D:D only kidding :P

the horrible thing was that I was flicking through LRM and noticed "polybush" then "5 year guaruntee" in the ad and only then noticed it was scrapiron.

I felt decidedly shamed as if caught reading some gentlemans literature by my mother! :D

I have heard enough from the masses to avoid them completely........

Cheers

G

Those yellow hard polybushes will break your chassis over here. Britpart rubber bushes are mostly ok but some panhard rod bushes last a week or two. Unfortunately OEM bushes from a LR stealer cost 8 times as much!

I have had a set of Superpro blue bushes for years now and they are still 100% and give a ride exactly the same as the OEM rubber bushes.

I picked up a set of SuperPro panhard rod bushes from Anton at OEC today- one piece and the polyurethane certainly looks far better finished than some of the cheaper polybushes I have seen- no jagged edges and voids etc...

Only time will tell- can't be much worse than the ones I have tried so far- I wouldn't mind if I was hard on my vehicle or did really outrageous stuff... still seem to destroy them :angry: Hopefully may have them fitted by the weekend for the 4x4adventures challenge at Wellington- this work lark gets in the way!!

Shrek