Drawing a circle

Les Henson

I cut up a cereal box with one straight edge, wrap it tightly around the pipe, line up the straight edge where the ends meet, and draw along that edge.

As above but I use a piece of A3 paper and an indelible marker. Make sure both sides of the paper are in line or it will not be square.

How about placing one end up against a vertical surface and the rolling the tube in a peice of angle clamped the the bench? You can then sit the scribe / pen nib up against one side of the angle.

Alternativly speak to someone who owns a saw that'll chop at 90* nicely ;)

Clean sheet of A4 Paper and some making tape.

Run the paper around with an "Edge" of the paper where the cut is to be

Then overtape the paper with masking tape, ie part on the paper part on the tube.

GENTLY hacksaw the joint between paper and tube, do a little bit and then rotate and continue around the tube untill all the wat around, then remove paper and tape, and the tube is scribbed all the way round properly

Then cut to the line made

job done :)

Nige

Les, the way I've seen this done is to lop your prop in half as square as poss, chop out the requisite amount to shorten and then bash an offcut of tight-fitting tube down the inside of the prop. Slide the other half of the prop on, hold Will's pigeon above and tickle to taste while the inner pipe holds it square.

Why not sleeve it on the outside? weld the two halves back together, clean off any weld that's greater than the diameter of the prop, slide the sleeve over the cut and then weld it? 3-welds are better than 1 I would have thought.

Les.

NEITHER

When I have done this I have cut CLOSE to the Yoke, then you can find that the yoke has a male end which can be reshoved back into the now shorthed tube :) its a super snug fit, and this way you get the straightness with a bit a BFH Tickling :)

Nige

There are a million ways to get it straight - just clamp the two into some angle iron/I-beam/V-blocks for an easy one.

Cut it any way you want. Then use your nice sheet of paper to mark a straight edge on each half, then grind down to the line - that'll get you close enough to perfect that your weld will cope with any minor imperfections. The straightness of the cut edge is only important if you're relying on the contact angle between the two halves to create the straightness. Better to ignore that angle (since its offset from the axis is small) and align the two bits lengthways - less error prone.

Since you're now not worrying about the contact surface being straight, you can also chamfer round the end of each bit to help the weld, if you need to.

You're far more likely to pull it off straight when you weld up one side and it pulls as it cools, than by failing to line it up ok in the first place. So make sure you tack it and clamp it up nicely to avoid distortion and it should be straightforward.

Al.

:)

NEITHER

When I have done this I have cut CLOSE to the Yoke, then you can find that the yoke has a male end which can be reshoved back into the now shorthed tube :) its a super snug fit, and this way you get the straightness with a bit a BFH Tickling :)

Nige

thats the way i always do it, be sure to remove the seam on the inside of the tube before reassembly

Guest diesel_jim
I'm going to cut and shut a prop. I don't a lathe I'm afraid.

Les.

Les, when i've shortened propshafts, i just use one of those "cut off" machines, like an angle grinder mounted on a hinged pivot with a vice type thing to clamp the work in.

we use them at work for chopping off conduit, and funnily enough, i happen to have one at home.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

want me to drop it off?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...