This forum is here to stay

LR90

This is certainly the most welcoming and 'friendly' forum that I have used. I certainly think that "trivial" posts help several members find what they require without 'asking the trivial/daft question' Crikey, most of my posts are 'trivial' questions,........... hey, I even enjoy the nonsensical banter too........

Post up by 1 more! :D

This is certainly the most welcoming and 'friendly' forum that I have used. I certainly think that "trivial" posts help several members find what they require without 'asking the trivial/daft question' Crikey, most of my posts are 'trivial' questions,........... hey, I even enjoy the nonsensical banter too........

Post up by 1 more! :D

watch out les will reset your count if you try to claim extra points.

I think most of the posts on this site are very usefull especially this one

unashamed plug mode on

Seven sisters next weekend be there or not

unashamed plug mode off

ps

can i have my post count back please

I promise i will post pictures of noni stuck next weekend.

and tangoman

watch out les will reset your count if you try to claim extra points.

I think most of the posts on this site are very usefull especially this one

unashamed plug mode on

Seven sisters next weekend be there or not

unashamed plug mode off

ps

can i have my post count back please

I promise i will post pictures of noni stuck next weekend.

and tangoman

if i get a picture of both noni and tangoman stuck being recovered by a series can i have double posts or does it not work that way?

Paul,, try the link again,, it don;t work,, (excuse for another post !!)

See you Friday ?? do you want a hand setting up, as David may not speak to me again!! :(

thanks tim link now working

i should be alright setting up on friday, Fruity and myself should be there mid moring

Well done one and all :)

However I do think it is a shame that two independent forums have emerged from the old LRE controlled one, this one and one with all the old posts etc.

Seems to me like ripe candidates for a merger :D ...but that may just be the accountant in me coming out :blink:

My feelings too, providing it merges here; from a brief return foray to what was once LRE, I noticed already that the events leading to the creation of this forum had created a kind of 'foul taste in the mouth' there, plus it seems all the humorous, bantering people are here, viva LR4x4! [sounds of pistols being fired into the air] :lol: :lol: :D

As a new forum user and being totally new to the LR world I was wandering round the internet looking for a forum to call home. Had a look in here, and although fairly new it seemed very friendly and people were willing to answer my daft n00b questions and help out, so I'm sticking around. I don't look at any others because I want an LR forum not a general offroad forum, and places like Devon 4x4 don't appeal as I live in sunny Hertforshire..

Good forum guys, keep it friendly and it can only get better with time as more posts and more information is contributed. Oh and I think its very important to let people post up any old rubbish that they want to jabber about. It helps develop friendships that run deeper than simply owning the same car as someone else, and in turn the community will flourish. Personally though I would add a Non-LR section so people can chat about anything in there, and discuss LR issues in the International and Technical sections. Just keeps everything in it's rightful place :)

David's comments and they are right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

The LRA forum has been on it's knees since the start of August when LRE tried to close it, then it's been up and down ever since.

However things are looking a bit better now and thanks to Fisha's efforts, Motorhead's input and my own dogged stubborness, we are a hair's breath away getting it on our own server - things are deffy looking up. The software upgrade was a big step forward too.

£900 in the kitty? :o You lucky, lucky bar-stewards B)

Our place haven't two frigging pennies to rub together :lol::rolleyes:

ok been urged to post by Bigfoot's reply, but first just want to say a few things..

Les You don't need to take anyones opinion on the site as a personal afront. David is welcome to his view and it's always worthwhile accepting someone else opinion and looking into it, instead of immediately coming back with comments like Rubbish etc.

honitonhobbit, Dave I think some of your views are fair - like it's not upto LRe when LRe was good. Probably about 12 months ago, but hey it needs time to build up and more new people to come in and provide new blood, new views etc - this is starting to happen. The friendly nature of the place, the technical help available, varied discussion, regular meets etc will all help this to happen.

Personally I don't think anyone on here is striving to have LR4x4 the best forum on web by far! ;) They just want a place to share stuff get info and keep in touch with like minded people and LR enthusiasts. That why a lot of on here visit place like Devon4x4, ORRP, Muddyweb, Difflock too. Each have their own benefits.

Bigfoot Not really sure what you are trying to achieve with your site. There doesn't seem to be anything different from it and it's apparent that it's not attracting lot's of people. Not trying to be harsh just wondering if this is the case and you need funding etc, why not join in over here or some other forum. If personal differences prevent doing it over here then why not somewhere else like difflock, muddyweb etc.

The archive is handy, but only for the people that used LRe. As we all know most new people post rather than go searching archives for answers. Most people only chose to stay over here because it was working and everyone jumped over too, and we are a lazy bunch and couldn't be arsed with changing our favourites all of the time. OK I know some didn't like the bright green so it was personal for some and personally I don't like attending a site with 'Addict' on but for the majority it was just easier to stay here.

Just trying to work out to why you want to continue.

Finally Dave is right we shouldn't go into self gloat mode, but I also think it's good for everyone to know how the site is progressing and funded. btw Dave some of your comments were carp too ;);)

Cheers

Steve :)

So I take it David can post what he likes but I can't, is that right?

You think I don't have the same right to comment the same as anyone else?

David has basically posted what I thought was carp, and I have posted that I think what he has posted is carp. Perhaps you could explain this?

Les. :)

So I take it David can post what he likes but I can't, is that right?

You think I don't have the same right to comment the same as anyone else?

David has basically posted what I thought was carp, and I have posted that I think what he has posted is carp. Perhaps you could explain this?

Les. :)

thats better! NOW this feels like the LRe place!

Can I ask why?

Hi JSG,, one of the thing that pee me off with ORRP, is i can rarely log in, allways says

Login

That username does not exist.

Username:

Password:

Minutes to stay logged in:

Always stay logged in:

yet, i have mails with the correct log in/ Username etc details,, winds me up before i even start

:angry:

Firstly thankyou les for not putting my name at the front of the list of people who post carp!

Secondly, (and i have said this before) the carp, banter, and silliness that gets posted on here is( in my opinion ) why so many people have logged on in the past few months, it shows what a friendly bunch we all are!!

However if anyone does ask a serious "tech" question, it always gets answered very quickly and is (in my opinion) more helpful than some other sites.?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D to all concerned with LR4X4 you are doing a great job!

I don't agree with a lot of what Dave Lovejoy says a lot of the time but today I do. This forum is not as good as LRE forum was when it was at it's best. The "split" into two forums has, as I suggested at the time, served only to dilute the sense of community that we (the members NOT LRE) had built up.

My own personal choice would be to see the two forums merge and to pool the common resources (in other words the knowlege and humour of the members) available in one place again. I am not aware of any but I hope that there are no political differences preventing a closer working relationship between the managment of two fora - god knows there is too much of that in the "real" world!

As much as we all feel let down by the mag they have got a living to make and I guess that they felt that the forum was not contributing to that - and perhaps even hindering it to some degree with potential negative comments from forum members. It is my understanding that comments posted in internet forums can have a real and dramatic impact on sales - good or bad - and the mags have to keep the advertisers sweet, that is where the money comes from, not the cover price.

I do think that the association with the mag did have it's benefits though. It lent some sense of identity and, to my mind, credibility to the forum and to it's members. You could say to a stranger that you were a poster on the LRE forum and, even if they had not heard of the forum then chances are (if they were a LR fan) they would have known what LRE was. The mag never offered overt publicity or advertising to the forum in the pages of the mag but there was (I guess anyway) a steady stream of new members who spotted the forum on the website of linked to in the "Web Watch" feature. Not much but just one of a number of little things the sum of which make the difference - at least for me.

I have tried a couple of other forums and found that I did not seem to fit like I do here. ORRP is clearly a very popular forum and I have enjoyed some threads there when I have dropped in. I have met a number of the members socially (and anti-socially at Billing - remember the guard dogs?) and got on very well. The two main problems I have with ORRP are the use of what my granny would call "foul language" and the way that some members (14 year olds I suspect) seem to delight in deliberately being offensive and adversairial(sp?) for the sake of it. I understand that long term members see this as a "right of passage" in some way but I have no time or humour for it. On the language front I tend to let the expletives flow quite freely in everyday speech but, perhaps hypocritically, I think they have no place in the written word.

This is my two penneth and you can like it or lump it!

Chris

However things are looking a bit better now and thanks to Fisha's efforts, Motorhead's input and my own dogged stubborness, we are a hair's breath away getting it on our own server - things are deffy looking up. The software upgrade was a big step forward too.

Trev,

are you sticking with UBBthreads then? I thought you where keen to follow Motorhead's lead and move the forum to SMF.

Hi JSG,, one of the thing that pee me off with ORRP, is i can rarely log in, allways says

Login

That username does not exist.

Username:

Password:

Minutes to stay logged in:

Always stay logged in:

Just out of interest what username did you choose ??

The two main problems I have with ORRP are the use of what my granny would call "foul language" and the way that some members (14 year olds I suspect) seem to delight in deliberately being offensive and adversairial(sp?) for the sake of it. I understand that long term members see this as a "right of passage" in some way but I have no time or humour for it.

I think like all forums, this included they all get a bit cliquey, anybody new ventures into ORRP does tend to get some stick which I've said many times isn't something I condone unless they are total pillocks, because of the very low level of moderation I'm affraid thats how it is, I start changing the rules and it would go against the ethos of the place which is pretty much Anything Goes..as for the swearing I really couldn't give a f*** :) :) sorry couldn't resist

:lol::lol::lol::D