Range Rover versus ?????

najw

Having driven most of what has been mentioned in this thread the RR does what it says on the tin and is a very capable vehicle both on and off road, it is also the preferred vehicle by some of our diplomatic and security services (opps….. perhaps I shouldn’t have said that :unsure: )………….. the others are good at single disciplined use and fail miserably in the multi disciplined environment….. ……….Cayenne goes like f**k on the open road and is a really nice drive, but is poor to bad when off the beaten track, Tworag always feels and drives like a bitsa, Lexus is more of a luxury bus, volov xc does what it says but is bl@@dy uncomfortable and visibility is poor………I was mildly surprised at the top of the range Grand Cherokee ………… comfortable, does what it says on the tin, but needs a ton more grunt and is seriously lacking in toys…………..

My best drive lately has been in a brand spanky RR sport Supercharged that was tickled at the factory ………. I drove it from London to Oxford and back B) ……………for some minor ‘additions’ :blink:

:)

Ian

in support of Steve's Technical response we did have an Ex merc guy down the other week who was following a RRV offroad and stated there was no way a GL would be capable of following the RRV without some track modifications and the driving having some good previous experience.

Bollox!

Steve :)

I've seen a GL in action earlier this year, on the same terrain as a RR, RRS and lots of other 4wds. And I must say, the standard difflocks front and rear do make a big difference! Combined with the good air suspension (though not as great as it's RR counterpart), this makes it very capable offroad. It's size is a drawback, but the same can be said of a L322 compared to a Series SWB. ;)

Having driven most of what has been mentioned in this thread the RR does what it says on the tin and is a very capable vehicle both on and off road, it is also the preferred vehicle by some of our diplomatic and security services (opps….. perhaps I shouldn’t have said that :unsure: )………….. the others are good at single disciplined use and fail miserably in the multi disciplined environment….. ……….Cayenne goes like f**k on the open road and is a really nice drive, but is poor to bad when off the beaten track, Tworag always feels and drives like a bitsa, Lexus is more of a luxury bus, volov xc does what it says but is bl@@dy uncomfortable and visibility is poor………I was mildly surprised at the top of the range Grand Cherokee ………… comfortable, does what it says on the tin, but needs a ton more grunt and is seriously lacking in toys…………..

My best drive lately has been in a brand spanky RR sport Supercharged that was tickled at the factory ………. I drove it from London to Oxford and back B) ……………for some minor ‘additions’ :blink:

:)

Ian

Ian, like you, I have to say having driven both the RRS and RR back to back (and lived with a RR V8 Vogue for 3 years) the RRS is better to drive but I'd have the big brother every time because:

- You look (less) like a drug dealer in the RRS

- The interior is no where near as nice or a spaceous

- If you pull up next to a full fat RR you feel like a cheap skate

- You don't get the split tail gate on the Sport

- The RR still has pretty amazing dynamics for a car that big and heavy.

And most importantly, if you want something rally fast and fun get yourself something smaller, ligher and petrol powered!

Back on topic, I think finding fair competition for the RR is hard - the RRS is differant, the XC90 (a good car - a friend has one which he uses for scouting rally courses) is more in line with the Disco, the Cayenne aimed at simerlar people to the RRS only faster, uglier and with more bling status. The Lexus, X5 and Merc ML also seem to be more in line with the RRS rather than its big brother.

That leaves the big saloons really but, as good as they are, I don't think they offer the same all round package as the RR.