Headlights

I currently have the old sealed beam type headlight on my 1991 defender 90. These have both expired and i am looking for replacements. i would like opinion and options as to what to replace them with.

Sealed beam have been good as are water proof and haven't had any problems with water ingress, but i would like them to be brighter when on dipped beam. main beam is not a problem as i have spots on it wired for mainbeam.

So what can i fit? I have seen halogens (what is the difference) I have also see nthe crystal type lights with clear lenses and my friends rates these but have found them for £60 on ebay.

So what have you fitted, the cost of the units and did it need any wiring alterations.

Thanks

Jon

Wipac Quadoptic [ needs a H4 halogen bulb] units on my 110 around 24quid for a pair :D

I'd go with the cheap standard H4 units as well plus you can get brighter bulbs these days without resorting to 'illegal' wattages

If your 110 doesn't use relays it's worth installing them to save the additional load through the switchgear. Managed to get military halogen headlamps for my 101 and the wiring got very warm. Now have a set of relays fitted and lights are brighter too.

recently replaced mine on the 90 and went with the sealed units purely for the waterproof quality. i previously had one non sealed and never got any light from it since the lens was permanently covered in mud on the inside left behind from the latest water..... maybe i should just look for cleaner puddles/ponds :lol:

I didnt think the Crystal ones were E-marked, hence you will fail your MOT if your tester is on the ball.

EDIT: it seems the new ones are, however the old ones are not, so beware on buying them from ebay, check if they are the e-marked ones first. :)

No they don't come with bowls. My TD5 didn't have any bowls on the old ones anyway (just the ring that pushed over the front of the light to hold it into the adjuster screws) so none went back in. Perhaps this is something they phased out on the TD5???

Bowls are cheap enough to buy from paddocks though I think and aren't they plastic so they won't rust? :)

And yes the new ones are FULLY E-Marked! ;)

Just out of interest, measure the voltage at the battery and then the voltage at the lights. My Defender lost a volt en route. Fitted two relays, one for the dip and one for the main. These will also cut down the amps going through your light switch so you get two advantages: better lights and your light switch will last.

I fitted standard Hella headlight units and Philps Silverstar bulbs and the light output is now good. Oh, my old Bosch headlamps had become a bit sandblasted with time as happens to all here.

• 7 months later...
non sealed and never got any light from it since the lens was permanently covered in mud on the inside left behind from the latest water.....

The crystals I have just got from Paddocks have a small horizontal hole (about 2mm dia) through the reflector near the top - probably something to do with manufacture I guess. If you drill a 5mm drain hole at the bottom of the lens and then 'T' off a screen-washer pipe to the top hole you could have internally washed headlight lenses :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I wouldn't try it while the bulb is hot though!) :unsure:

I've seen E-marked Crystal lights on E-bay at £22.99 + 3.99 P+P

If the link doesn't work the seller is called ... boltonbits

=] hope it helps, thinking of changing mine soon, I've seen some random 'angel eye' headlights for the landrover but they are not E-marked though the seller says they will still pass the MOT! Hmmmm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=019

I've seen E-marked Crystal lights on E-bay at £22.99 + 3.99 P+P

If the link doesn't work the seller is called ... boltonbits

=] hope it helps, thinking of changing mine soon, I've seen some random 'angel eye' headlights for the landrover but they are not E-marked though the seller says they will still pass the MOT! Hmmmm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=019

I think the angel eye ones don't look right on a Defender.

I have the crystal type, clear plastic lens and faceted plastic reflector, no more rusty lights. I picked them up on eBay for around £30 the pair, they're not E marked but have been through two MOTs now without any comment.

They came with these nasty blue tinted bulbs. I have to say the light output was carp, especially on wet nights. I swapped back to my old Phillips high brightness but normal colour ones, much better.

Michael

I think the angel eye ones don't look right on a Defender.

I have the crystal type, clear plastic lens and faceted plastic reflector, no more rusty lights. I picked them up on eBay for around £30 the pair, they're not E marked but have been through two MOTs now without any comment.

They came with these nasty blue tinted bulbs. I have to say the light output was carp, especially on wet nights. I swapped back to my old Phillips high brightness but normal colour ones, much better.

Michael

Yeah I was trying to visualise what the angel eyes would like like but I couldn't help thinking it was a bit ... 'Gary boyish' (no offence to anyone that actually has them) Just makes me think of Huge spoilers and lowered suspension.. not what you need or want on a landy.

I've seen some with a pilot light? is this a second sidelight or something? I think Paddock does them with or without .. . but there were no pics when I last looked. would they be wired in as well as the existing sidelights or instead of anyone know?

Yeah I was trying to visualise what the angel eyes would like like but I couldn't help thinking it was a bit ... 'Gary boyish' (no offence to anyone that actually has them) Just makes me think of Huge spoilers and lowered suspension.. not what you need or want on a landy.

I've seen some with a pilot light? is this a second sidelight or something? I think Paddock does them with or without .. . but there were no pics when I last looked. would they be wired in as well as the existing sidelights or instead of anyone know?

Mine have pilot lights, they take a 5w wedge base bulb. I added a wire to the sidelight supply so they come on together. Fuses have been OK so far.

The effect is much the same as having 'dim-dip' headlights.

I had to cut a small scollop out of the metal headlight retaining disc that goes behind, (the one the spring attaches to) to clear the pilot light bulb holder.