OT - Toughbook addition

JST

I've seen an add on GPS that looks like this - although it was mounted just round the corner, where the sim card goes on mine.

I would load up HyperTerminal (built in to widows) and see if there is anything being received on any of the com ports.

Si

i am not sure of where it came from, it was a cancelled order from HP and as its a CF18 Mk 1 it msut have sat on a shelf for quite a while.

anyway took the two screws off the hold the cover of the above and it just has a small wire going from it to the inside of the machine so must be a receiver or transmitter of some sort.

this hyperterminal thing then that i have now found, how do you use it or how do i get it to check what the thing is?

start hyperterminal, open a new profile, name it anything you want and point it one of your comm ports. I would try 4800 8N1 and 9600 8N1 on all ports to see if it is transmitting. IIRC you have to start a new profile to make speed and port changes.

Another way is to download the trial of Fransons GPS Gate as this will detect it too.

Cheers

Steve

Well the BIOS has a GPS option

Disabled

enabled

or

AUTO

enabled allows you to change the IRQ and IO (what ever they are) of serial port B

so i have auto'd it but still get nothing on booting up, although it did find a new mouse!

mouse now gone, deleted the driver for it.

HT still doesnt find anything on all the terminals as per Steve's suggestion - any other ideas? Fgate currently downloading.

See,, i told you so,, Franson gate,, you would have saves hours !!! :P

after mucking about a fair bit today and downloading a filter after i found some software turns the GPS off i now have Hyperterminal giving me reading starting $GPGSV, "GPRMC and $GPGVT what ever they mean. MM wont find it and autoroute just initialises it. so still need the gate program just cant get at it for some reason, download is really slow >60mins (its only 2.5mb) and it crashes halfway through!

thanks for your help so far guys.

Great stuff, only 3 days work,, at least !! ,

Just cranked up mine, and still working OK,, have MM, Auto route and Raytech marine, on the BT,, all running at the same time, via Fransom gate,

So that Module above, must have been a GPS unit,, now the test is ,,if it will work in the 90, without another receiver !!