charging an incar PC

JST

Whats the best way to charge an in car PC

dedicated cigarette lighter wiring or mains leads and an inverter?

should you run it with the battery out? to preseve battery life by not giving it lots of little charges?

should you run it with the battery out? to preseve battery life by not giving it lots of little charges?

From what I read in the past charging from an inverter is not a healthy option. The AC wave created by the inverter is stepped rather than smooth which can apparently shorten the life of rechargable batteries. :(

I'm sure a clever person will be along soon to give full techy details!

If you find a 12v charging option post up about it, it's something I'll be looking at at some point in the future.

D :)

If your laptop has a power block then have a look at what the ouput is- usually a few amps at 12v. Seems silly to use an inverter to convert up to 240v and then a power block to convert back to 12v.

You can get cheap 12v power regulators that take the spikes out of car battery supplies which means all you would need to do would be plug a power lead directly into the back of the laptop!

I use an inverter regardless of the shape of the output. Toughbook been fine like that for a year now and battery still performs when required.

I agree, an inverter just for the laptop would be a waste, but I use for drilling/other power tools when working in the 110 and it has been known to power a TV and mobile satellite ! :)

Neil

its 16V 3.75A it needs so if you have a 16V 6A output does that work or overpower it? ie does the laptop just take what it needs?

yes, it's the voltage that's important and whether it's capable of supplying the current you need, 3.75A. So as the maplin one can operate at 16V and has upto 6A output you'll be OK. As long as it has the correct tip for your toughbook that is! ;);)

Cheers

Steve

Mine runs on the 12v via one of these Laptop shop 12V Adapter

This one to fit yours !!

Panasonic Toughbook CF 18 BVE laptop Car Adapter Stock No : CAR70T9

LARGER IMAGE KB

£29.99

ex vat

£35.24

inc vat

Detailed specification for the Panasonic Toughbook CF 18 BVE laptop car adapter

Compatible laptop car adapter for the Panasonic Toughbook CF 18 BVE

16V 4.3A output 70W total capacity

DC input 11 - 16V

Plugs into any standard 12V car cigarette lighter socket, and suitable for use in aircraft

Warranty - 1 year return to base

Is your in car PC really an in car PC?. Mine has not got batteries and does not need an inverter. It is hard wired direct 12v.

I will show it to you some time, I think you will be impressed by the size of it, its 9" long and really hard............................................................................

............................................................wearing. Honestly.

Using the Laptop with its own power supply (black block in the cable) is the best way forward to help with the long term life of the laptop. This power supply is designed to give the laptop the exact type of power required.

Using an inverter will not affect the laptop, providing you use the power supply mentioned above. There are 2 main types of inverter, Modified Sine Wave and Pure Sine wave. Either type will be suitable for a laptop using the power supply inline because the power supply with smooth out the wave form and provide a stable supply to the laptop. Modified sine wave will struggle to power anything digital without its own dedicated power supply, this is because the digital appliance takes its timing points from the peaks and troughs of the sine wave, with a modified sine wave these peaks are levelled out flat causing a square wave - this confuses the digital appliance and the end result can be effected (I.e. if using a microwave the cooking time could be shortened/extended) Pure sine wave is an exact replication of the AC you receive at home, a good solid stable supply capable of running anything digital or not. If you want the most versatile inverter, suitable for any application, buy a pure sine wave model, it will cost you more but work perfectly.

Avoid any power equipment with the name Stirling printed on the front of it. Like the scorpion racing of the power supply world!!

Matt.

Guest diesel_jim

Talking of in car PC's (yes, i did a search but couldn't remember the key words to find the recent thread! :rolleyes: )

I got hold of a decent motherboard from a machine at work today, so set about installing XP and lots of other stuff onto it (well, the hard drive!).

i was wondering what to use for a power supply for it? is there an "off the shelf" 12v powered supply that will smooth out the vehicle electrics into 12v and 5v? and possibly have a kind of UPS in built?

or even a UPS that i can just keep "topped up" from my vehicle battery, basically running the PC from the UPS?

cheeeeers! B)

Is your in car PC really an in car PC?. Mine has not got batteries and does not need an inverter. It is hard wired direct 12v.

I will show it to you some time, I think you will be impressed by the size of it, its 9" long and really hard............................................................................

............................................................wearing. Honestly.

i guess its not strictly an in car PC then by definition its a toughbook that i want to charge up in the car.

Cheers for the feedback guys and points above (Mathew - thats def worth knowing, thank you) Tim cheers for the link, looks like the one. Different to your one i think though??

Mobile satellite, surely its no worth launching your own satellites just to get a fix? must be a good inverter!

Not quite that exciting..

But I do have a portable satellite dish, decoder box etc. that does work through the other laptop, or TV powered off the Inverter.. Most pleasant way to spend time on a picnic when the Missus wants to be outside and you want to see the motor sport ! LOL

Neil

I used a invertor last year to power my laptop i was running a GPS system through it and found that every now and then it would lockout, so i bought a 12v multi output laptop charging lead from CPC.COM and never had any bother, the invertor also seemed to draw a lot of power from battery although it never went flat i was always dubious about it.

I have a dedicated mobile power supply for my dell - made by Linn electronics, it replaces the factory power supply and gives a fag lighter socket on one end, and the correct plug for the laptop on the other. Works very well, but took a couple of weeks for one to come up on eBlag. With a toughbook I would have thought finding the dedicated 12V converter for it wouldn't be too difficult...

Guest diesel_jim

Slight tangent here, but still to do with in car PC's...

I've got myself a decent (quite small) motherboard now, and a 120gb laptop drive (courtesy of work.... ahem... :rolleyes::rolleyes: ), can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent box to fit it all in,

ideally i'd like a cast aluminiuim one with built in heat-sink type fins on the top of it, something that is rather like a car audio amplifier, something like:

Blaster-BL-500G.jpg

or

Twister-TW500B.jpg

i'll then mount the motherboard with the sockets along one edge.

with this type of box i'm after, it'll be quite "sturdy", not nececceraly kick proof, as i don't really want it kicked, but certainly able to withstand abuse from LR stuff floating about the cab.

or failing that, anyone got a knackered amplifier they don't want? :lol: