Threat to classic/older car's!

Matthew

Ladies and Gents,

Number 10 are considering restricting the use of classic/older vehicles, see extract below taken directly from the number 10 website...

"Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles."

You can sign an "e-petition" to reject any proposals to ban or restrict the use of older cars by clicking here: Classic Car Petition

Thanks,

Matt

the effect on the environment of producing a brand new toyota prius, is far greater than the effect of buying and keeping a 200tdi defender or disco on the road for an indefinite amount of time. with the advent of biofuels, this gap widens even more

but theyre hardly going to tell you that are they!

whatever happened to reduce, reuse, recycle? why buy a new car if one already on the road does the job as well or better. not to mention a lot of people, me included cannot afford to buy a brand new car of any size or type

the effect on the environment of producing a brand new toyota prius, is far greater than the effect of buying and keeping a 200tdi defender or disco on the road for an indefinite amount of time. with the advent of biofuels, this gap widens even more

but theyre hardly going to tell you that are they!

whatever happened to reduce, reuse, recycle? why buy a new car if one already on the road does the job as well or better. not to mention a lot of people, me included cannot afford to buy a brand new car of any size or type

I couldn't agree more, just goes to show quite how detached from reality our current government really is!!

Matt

So is there actually any real current threat? There's none mentioned - just that some proposals in the past have touched on the idea and not been implemented. Do we seriously think the government would effectively send a few of million perfectly serviceable cars to the scrapyard, hell even the most hardline environmentalists would be up in arms about that one.

So is there actually any real current threat? There's none mentioned - just that some proposals in the past have touched on the idea and not been implemented. Do we seriously think the government would effectively send a few of million perfectly serviceable cars to the scrapyard, hell even the most hardline environmentalists would be up in arms about that one.

I am a 'hardline environmentalist' and I signed it.

There are better ways to deal with the issues.

Signed it, i would like to see them try and implement it, they would have to put some sort of financial package together for those that would be losing cars. I certainly cant afford a new car let alone a new defender or anything like that

It's got nothing to do with the environment.

It's to do with reducing the amount of vehicles on the road so the better off (MPs and so on) have more room for their cars. Rationing fuel would be fairer.

Recently Cmdr. Cressida Dick was driven away from the Old Bailey in a chauffered Range Rover, won't she fit in a Micra? (She might, but her ego won't I suppose). I'll believe the government is concerned about the environment when I stop seeing Jags, Mercs, BMWs and Range Rovers in Downing Street. If the Queen can show the King of Saudi Arabia the sights of London from a horse and cart, then they can all use donkeys to get around on.

It's also to do with tax. There is a lot of VAT on a new car, none on a 2nd hand one sold privately.

The bottom will fall out of the 2nd hand car market.

We've had these scares before, they wouldn't dare do anything like this it would be political suicide. It's just an excuse to assemble a comittee and publish reports to keep civil servants in work.

I dunno roger, last time I was up in town, I walked past the end of downing street just as a cavalcade of shiney new chauffeur driver prius' pulled in. To be fair I thought it was a cynical environmental face saving excercise, particulaly given my views of the prius, but there wasn't a jag or rangie in sight - certainly no humbers :(

Mark

We've had these scares before, they wouldn't dare do anything like this it would be political suicide. It's just an excuse to assemble a comittee and publish reports to keep civil servants in work.

Since there doesn't seem to be an actual government report it seems to be more an excuse to spam car forums and get 15,000 panicked car owners to sign a pointless petition :rolleyes:

Do we seriously think the government would effectively send a few of million perfectly serviceable cars to the scrapyard, hell even the most hardline environmentalists would be up in arms about that one.

I would guess that hardlined environmentalists would be over the moon if a lot of the banned older vehices were 4x4,s.

Bill.

Of course with these governemnt petitions they get to know your views, tie that with your IP address, then with your real name and address, linked to your ID card, then to the NHS and PNC databases so anyone who disagrees with the Party Line gets refused hospital treatment, stopped by the State Police and their car crushed.

That's if they could make any of that technology work or talk to each other :rolleyes: the NHS IT setup is £12bn in and still nothing works, they've proved they can't keep names and addresses secure so I doubt they'll persuade anyone they are competent to run ID cards anytime soon.

That said - roll on the revolution, we must be due one soon :huh:

Signed as well......could that be the end of the London to Brighton Classic car run then? They would have to rename it something else.......

They've been threatening to do the same here in Dubai for the past few years. We don't see it happening either.

Ita all about spin and scare mongering!!!!

Every now and again something like this gets "leaked" so that when they put the tax up we all think "well it wasnt as bad as we expected" and just carry on paying the man.

The same thing happens with fuel prices. Until we all stand together and say "no more" it will carry on.

Its about time this country grew some balls and took a leaf out of the French book. If they dont like something they bring the country to a stop until the government gives in.

Oooopppss i gone and got all political. :rolleyes:

Andy