Hypothetical question about quality of parts from a supplier

FridgeFreezer

Assuming the aforementioned hypothetical outfit begin with a P rather than a C, I found that they were usually pretty good at taking stuff back. They needed to be, as during my build I had a catalogue of completely useless rubbish from them including anti roll bar links and A Frame ball joints where the rubber had perished before the vehicle had even moved!!! There was a very helpful lady (yup, just one) in Customer Services who unfortunately has now left.

Now use Chichester 4x4 who, based on their experience of a particular part, tend to recommend either genuine or Allmakes. Not as cheap as online, but worth paying a bit extra for both their knowledge and not having to do a job twice.

John, I suspect it is unlikely you will get more than a refund for the bits and probably not worth taking it any further.

From further down the same page:

So perhaps in the case of a refund FF is better just claiming that the goods were not fit for purpose. Either way, he is entitled to satisfaction.

Chris

Chris

Absolutely Chris, the burden of proof is very much on the retailer proving innocence rather than the consumer showing guilt. It’s the benefit of being in a consumer driven society!

Update: I had a feeling something wasn't right so I searched the forum, and came across this thread which has solved the mystery.

Turns out the parts probably do fit where they're supposed to, but there's been one of those classic "Faddocks phone sales" moments :rolleyes:

Basically they appear to have sent me MR874 (which in actual part# terms is FRC8222 - hub seal OUTER) rather than FRC8221 (hub seal INNER), of course being Faddocks own part number on the packet doesn't help. Also rather unfortunately I'd got the seals a while ago on a separate order as spares, which means those are outside the time frame for any reasonable shouting. :(

As the thread above points out, MR874's will fit where the inner seal is supposed to, sort of :unsure: so in my haste to get the thing done I had assumed it was just a cr*p fit and stuck it all together.

Happily though the local LR stealers has a couple of genuine RTC3511's in stock for a very reasonable price, which are the earlier type and supposedly better version of the inner oil seal.

So, no shouting at Faddocks this morning (not for this, anyway) as at best it would be tricky to prove from an invoice that shows I ordered a set of MR874's that what I said down the phone was FRC8221 not 8222.

I guess the lesson is double-check what they send you very closely <_<

I still need to speak to them about my order for Freelander air & oil filters where I said "Anything but Britpart" and guess what turned up... :rolleyes:

At least that one's easy to spot I suppose.

They also supplied me with stub axles 10 thou too big. Fortunately easy to fix with a lathe - but still a PITA.

You know all the county stuff which said retailer sells comes from Premier Supply near Guildford? They sell over the counter on Sat Mornings to non trade customers - should save you a few quid if you insist on buying chonky parts.

Si

This is not right though, are you not going to ask them to do something about it? It will make removing the hub again more than a little difficult.

Chris - I don't think it's worth it, a tickle with some emery paper may do it and I'm not particularly inclined to dismantle the whole shooting match now it's together. That's assuming they'd send me decent stubs or give me the money to buy genuine, both of which seem doubtful.

Genuine oil seals now in my possession so guess what I'm doing this 'noon? :rolleyes:

They also supplied me with stub axles 10 thou too big. Fortunately easy to fix with a lathe - but still a PITA.

You know all the county stuff which said retailer sells comes from Premier Supply near Guildford? They sell over the counter on Sat Mornings to non trade customers - should save you a few quid if you insist on buying chonky parts.

Si

Si,

Premier will sell over the counter on any day of the week I have found...

Moving slightly OT, but what exactly is a "qualified mechanic" - what qualification does this refer to? I have a degree in engineering - does this mean I can replace oil seals? I hope not, because some of the people that graduated with me had trouble opening a tin of beans! :blink:

Someone explained to me the use of a hammer when I was in college. Does it count?

On a more serious note, I happily buy from the non genuine dealers if it concerns non mechanical parts, such as bodypanels and exhaust. For things like bearings, ujs and seals I go genuine or at least original manufacturer.

Genuine is still best though.

Daan

I'll just say 'P' is much better than 'c' in my view - they all make mistakes [most of us do occasionally], although they[P]'re prepared to make good the way c don't seem to - of course you need to speak to the right person whatever happens..

I think that involves making telephone calls rather than Emails either way

If it was only the one hammer that was probably the Freelander course, more hammers moves you up the scale until you're allowed to work on Defenders. A bit like the McDonalds star badges :lol:

Later, in uni I learned that a hammer is really called an impact technology device. The use of an impact technology device is the same as a hammer though.

I'll just say 'P' is much better than 'c' in my view - they all make mistakes [most of us do occasionally], although they[P]'re prepared to make good the way c don't seem to - of course you need to speak to the right person whatever happens..

I think that involves making telephone calls rather than Emails either way

I would agree.

I've always used them and never had a problem.

Guess I'm in a minority of one?

I'll get my coat......................

Me too, and never had any problems.

I always look up the part numbers in the catalog and confirm that they are the same on the website, and then order over the web. Phoning English people with an Irish accent is a recipe for disaster :P

In 5 years and maybe 20 orders to France and Ireland, they've never gotten anything wrong.

I'll see you to the door......

I have a love grudging admittance of marginal preferability to other suppliers/hate relationship with Faddocks - they're about the most convenient and cheapest way to get all the parts you need, but they do cock it up every now and again, and the service you receive when they do can be variable.

I have a hate/hate relationship with Britpart stuff, it's pretty much total cack.