A beginner's guide to greenlaneing

GBMUD

A little while back I received a PM from another forum member suggesting that we start a topic and make it sticky in this forum to answer some of the FAQs that people ask when they are new to 4x4 ownership and greenlaneing. Something offering advice on where to get more information, how to ID a green lane, what to take with you or leave behind, responsible use, codes of conduct etc..

Obviously joining a local club is a good way to find green lanes so I would also propose maintaining a list of clubs who have greenlanes officer and a responsible greenlanes policy as recommended by forum members. Ideally just the club name and website rather than a whole biography of the club and it's members.

When we have some details in this thread I will start a closed, sticky post at the top of this forum with a synopsis of the details given in the post and a list of the clubs as suggested.

What I do not want is a list of green lanes. Lanes identified on the forum in the past have seldom been identified for the right reasons and if a lane is not sustainable then the last thing we want is to make the location available to any idiot wanting to go and cause further damage.

So, what advice would you give to someone wanting to go greenlaneing for the first time?

Thanks

Chris

Club Name = Peak & Dukeries Land Rover Club (Other makes are welcomed!)

Web Site = http://www.pandd.org.uk/

Green Lanes Officer = RE at RichardEntwistle.co.uk

Green Lane page = http://www.pandd.org.uk/greenln/greenlane.htm

"P&D is affiliated to GLASS. See http://www.glass-uk.org/ "

You are expected to join the P&D before joining a run, but at about £25 this is a very small addition to your yearly running expenses.

Runs are about once a month, always on a Saturday, always starting at 12 noon (bring a light lunch and drink). While I wouldn't recommend taking a vehicle you want to keep totally un-scratched, the runs are designed to be suitable for the family, and formatted to be within the capabilities of ANY Land Rover, and the other SUVs, while in standard build. Winches and suspension lifts are NOT required.

For a newcomer to the pastime there are enough challenges just selecting gear and line, while leaving opportunity to enjoy the countryside views.

RR Classics, Defenders civilian and Military, and Discos are regular participants.

Club : Bristol and west off road club .

Web www.bworc.org.uk

Rights of way officer ; Mark Bunting mark@bworc.org.uk

The Bristol and west off road club Is an affiliated club to GLASS , Established 10 years and holds about 60 current members catering for all marques .

The club hosts regular green lane trips along side other events such as Pay and play days and winch challenges .

Club meets are every month at The Chequers Inn , Kingswood , Bristol. Membership fees are Currently £20 for individuals and £30 for familly groups .

Weekends away exploring lanes and routes in areas further afield , Charity raising for Sergent CLIC , treasure hunts and free advice are some of the things that the club has to offer .

logo.gif

First thing to remember when starting out is never go out on your own.

Than make sure you have good recovery points, because at some point you WILL get stuck!!

Before drivine any ROW make sure it still carrys the right to drive it, lots of changed in the last few years. Some "Green Lanes" are not even marked on the maps, they are on the list of streets.

Join a LOCAL club. National clubs do not cover all areas.

Paul

Things to take:

A friend

A mobile phone (and charger...)

Some spare fuel

A good Rope

the appropriate map

Basic tool kit

Spare food and clothes

Spare wheel (should be in there already really)

Useful, but not essential:

Waffles

Leatherman

well that's a start... feel free to add to the list.

• 2 weeks later...
Things to take:

A friend

Some spare fuel

A good Rope

the appropriate map

Basic tool kit

Spare food and clothes

Waffles

Leatherman

I'd add the following to the list above

good first aid kit (vital)

small vehicle fire extinguisher

torch

old towel

small ground sheet/ tarp (to lay on under vehicle)

spade

water (for you and the vehicle)

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread.

Essential kit: add Wellies, gloves, jellied sweets

Useful kit: add small axe, jack - hi-lift or bottle [start debate here]

Rules:

Research

Make sure you know where the lane exits - if it does! Some lanes finish in a bridleway or private land

Think about the terrain. Look on Googlemaps at the aerial view to see whether the lane runs between trees and is sheltered.

Sheltered lanes will retain moisture and will remain boggy for longer. They may also be occluded by tree roots and branches.

Check that the council hasn't shut the lane. Just because it is marked on an old OS map doesn't mean it is still open to traffic.

Assume that your average speed through the lanes will be c 5-10mph depending on condition and plan timing accordingly

Respect

Lanes are to be driven - as roads. They aren't the local 'pay and play'. Don't go on them if you are likely to damage them.

In wet conditions only drive lanes with a solid base.

Where there are ruts, stick to them.

If there are obstacles, clear them - don't destroy their source in the process (e.g. trees)

Others use the lanes as well. If you encounter walkers/riders stop and allow them to pass. Although you have as much right as they, we don't need more prejudice.

Safety

Don't travel alone but don't travel in large groups (see respect).

Let people know where you're driving

If it looks difficult from the cab, it probably is. Stop, get out and have a look.

Using a spotter is not an admission of the driver's failure but a sensible way of progressing with minimum risk and damage.

"give it some beans" is seldom the right approach.

Once leaving the lane, drive on the verge for a bit if coated in mud to avoid laying down a slimey layer on the road for other users.

echo the above really, except to add that its always useful to have a few spare with you, i dont mean go over the top and take a head gasket but an alternator belt, tyre weld, bulbs, instant gasket, oils and water (and RAC card :lol:)would be reasonable. Also no point in taking a first aid kit uless you learn how to use it!

Mike

Beware greenlane guides who charge! Always ask to see their liability insurance

I did that once to my suprise was shown the full certificate !

I get asked quite a few times, surprises me the number of times strange people who I don't know ask me in car parks and the like. So tell them to go out with some commerical group and pay the £20-£30 for the day.

Might be a shock to too all, but theres no local club which go laning, little of no activity with national groups within the local area.

Quite a few laners are always moaning about commercial groups, but for many theres no alternative, what surprises us is the number of ex-club members who end up paying to go out with commerical groups. However there replies are often all on the same lines, joined a club/group paid money never went out, so end up paying a commercial outfit least we get out.

Theres often other reasons, too extreme been one, groups within clubs not inviting novices out, lack of internet resoures, bad experances of rip off clubs/groups, and some just want day out once a year so why join a club.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest otchie1
Things to take:

A friend

Some spare fuel

A good Rope

the appropriate map

Basic tool kit

Spare food and clothes

Waffles

Leatherman

Uh oh. I take errrr, nothing extra at all

I usually go alone and most often a few hours either side of midnight.

My basic premise is that I live in Surrey so will somehow manage to survive without a jacket designed for scaling Everest :rolleyes:

I usually have a torch somewhere....might even have batteries in it. Am I likely to die now?

it is also a good idea to make sure you landy is up to it

bald and road tyres just wont get you out of trouble

not to mention cheek oil water hoses etc

sounds stupid but having just pulled an sj out of a lane with blown head gasket threw bad maintanace shows its best to check

would have left it there but it was in the way hehehehehehehee

still i think i sold him a landy so not a total waste of 2 hours