2 1/4 Carbs

OWL

Hi

I was trolling the net for info on which carbs to look out for on my 2 1/4 rebuild and noticed this ?

http://www.webcon.co.uk/1790026200%20Land%20Rover.doc

I don't have that sort of money to spend , but wondered if anyone come across a vehicle with one fitted or knew the company?

Cheers

It looks fine, but A) 475 quid is too much money and B) that would be just the start of it - as the ad intimates. Once you increase fueling and air, you really need an improved cam profile, and better flow through the head and exhaust - otherwise you're really just increasing the fuel inefficiency of the 2.25 lump.

It's a lot of money, but I was very impressed with the performance improvement from the ACR PowerPlus kit. When I was in Malaysia, the legendary Vicki ( K. Vigneswaran - sp?) who is now working somewhere in the UK as far as I know - pioneered a very nice Volvo carb conversion that I believe used an adaptor to the standard manifold. There are a number of older 2 bbl carbs in the US that have been successfully used and would cost hundreds less than the one linked to above. I believe that there's an outfit on the West Coast of the US, called British Pacific? that does a kit somewhat like ACR's PowerPlus and I recall a carb like the one linked above. With the exchange rate like it is, well worth looking into!

Knew the company???

Er...........Webcon are the manufacturers of Weber carburettors!!! You cant get much more heard of than that!!!

Jon

You'll have to forgive me Jon, I see you do seem to know it all and some of us have a lot to learn

Best bang for the buck, go SU HIF 44 , get someone to make you up a tubular adapter, and put on a better exhaust.

Youll get more go, and better fuel economy to boot. JMHO :D

but what about the "This greatly enhances low speed driveability and torque, essential for off road driving. " how does the SU compare ?

Cheers

For £475 you can fuel inject the flippin' thing and have even better driveability than any carb setup.

Hell for £500 I'll to fuel inject it for you just for the giggle.

Hmmmmm........

I've often thought megasquirting an otherwise stock 2.25 motor and adding one of those ex-bmw mini eaton superchargers would be an entertaining little project.........

I cant see Weber selling many of those carbs at that price!!!

Jon

I cant see Weber selling many of those carbs at that price!!!

Some technophobic idiot will buy it, look at all the race boys who still rip EFi off as if it was the work of satan and bolt on some unreliable pile of clockwork because "it's easier to fix in the field" despite the fact they've just dropped a free 20bhp.

I keep trying to persuade someone to convert a 4-pot to squirt'n'spark as I reckon there's a lot of potential in the lumps, they're so under-tuned, but everyone keeps chickening out at the prospect of trying to mate a throttle body from one engine onto another, something that the car tuning boys do all day long.

For £475 you can fuel inject the flippin' thing and have even better driveability than any carb setup.

Fridge

I am considering your offer !

I take it you will supply all the bits ?

I'm curious about the injection side of that one Fridge, got to be more fun than a 200 TDi conversion for a low mileage/play motor.

I have just had grief with my Zenith 36iv. The classic body warp, the emulsion block being especially bad. I took it into work and skimmed all three castings last night. I left it soaking in cleaner today and I'll rebuild with new jets etc. tonight. All things being equal it should last a good few years.

Does anybody think there is a market for skimming/fully overhauling Zenith carbs? What would you say a reasonable price would be?

I keep trying to persuade someone to convert a 4-pot to squirt'n'spark as I reckon there's a lot of potential in the lumps, they're so under-tuned, but everyone keeps chickening out at the prospect of trying to mate a throttle body from one engine onto another, something that the car tuning boys do all day long.

Someone is...

http://otly.mysite.orange.co.uk/Megasquirt/page1.html

Having got megajolt on my 2.5, megasquirt seems like another good step one day!

Crikey :blink: I have to say £500 was a guestimate but if you're serious then I'm happy to do some more accurate sums and have a go, for a bit extra you could do away with the distributor too.

Fridge you going to Donnington ?

The SU is the next best thing to fuel injection, and is good for torque etc as it is a variable orifice and jet system.

Another thing you are looking at less than half the price of efi , which with such a low state of tune engine is a bit of a sledgehammer walnut situation JMHO

The SU is the next best thing to fuel injection, and is good for torque etc as it is a variable orifice and jet system.

Another thing you are looking at less than half the price of efi , which with such a low state of tune engine is a bit of a sledgehammer walnut situation JMHO

Which model SU and what manifold would you use with it ?

count me in as well.

once my ACR engine is run in your welcome to fit squirt and spark if your up for it?

Which model SU and what manifold would you use with it ?

Many years ago, I used to run a HS6 (1 3/4") on my 2.25P. The adapter was a piece of aluminium tube (~2" ID) bent through (IIRC) 60 degrees (to set the correct carb angle), with a suitable flange (~3/8" thick) on each end. It bolted to the LR manifold on the studs used for the Solex carb. The orientation was fore/aft so the IIA throttle linkage could connect easily.

I did a lot of playing with springs and needles (IIRC the jet was 0.100) and ended up using a red spring (yellow was pretty well good enough, but the engine had been "opened out a little"). Unfortunately, I can't remember the needle used. It's bound to be somewhere in the archives.

The SU, combined with a Lumenition contactless electronic ignition unit, gave a fairly lively engine (by the standards of the day, and discounting V8's). It used to return 23/24mpg on a run in a SWB IIA, cruising at 70-75mph with overdrive and RR diff's on 205 tyres.

Its funny you should mention this...

I have a 2.25 i rebuilt about 5k ago ... A tdi i was going to fit but its turning regrettably into a pile of donkey turd... ( So now have a turbo and manifold from that 200tdi that seems that it might bolt straight to a 2.25)... and su that i never got around to fitting ( which i believe you can seal to work witha turbo) ...i wonder. Although squirting would be the route to go.

Its funny you should mention this...

I have a 2.25 i rebuilt about 5k ago ... A tdi i was going to fit but its turning regrettably into a pile of donkey turd... ( So now have a turbo and manifold from that 200tdi that seems that it might bolt straight to a 2.25)... and su that i never got around to fitting ( which i believe you can seal to work witha turbo) ...i wonder. Although squirting would be the route to go.

Turbo >> Intercooler >> Squirt !

Very tasty, and not that expensive to put right when it all melts :o

Owl & Philbert - crikey, I've got a queue now! :lol:

I'll do some thinking and work out some numbers, not having a 2.25 here to "prototype" on may complicate things a little, if you were able to get the adapter plate as per Edward's post made up and bolt the TBI on so you're happy with it it would save me a lot of faffing this end. Perhaps it's worth doing a forum group buy and getting a few made? I'm more than happy with wiring, plumbing, and tuning though.

Owl & Philbert - crikey, I've got a queue now! :lol:

I'll do some thinking and work out some numbers, not having a 2.25 here to "prototype" on may complicate things a little, if you were able to get the adapter plate as per Edward's post made up and bolt the TBI on so you're happy with it it would save me a lot of faffing this end. Perhaps it's worth doing a forum group buy and getting a few made? I'm more than happy with wiring, plumbing, and tuning though.

Philbert

I'm just looking at buying a Turner Engine, Whats your ACR like ?

What spec did you get 8:1 , 9:1

Fridge, It worth doing the figures to see what come like, I was deffinatly going to get rid of the distributer as well,