Disco 200tdi in a series SWB

sotal

I've seen it mentioned that a 200tdi from a disco is hard to fit in a 109 as the chassis rail gets in the way but I heard it gets "close" with an 88.

Is it too close in an 88"? Could it cause problems?

What else is required? Are the down pipes re-useable - is it just a custom exhaust that is required? Is a loom required or do I just connect up the very few wires to the relevant places?

What's the ideal transmission setup? I realise the series box can be used but you have to drill and tap a few extra holes, is it better to use the disco box?

Are there any other suggestions.

It's just in the back of my mind at the moment just want to have all the facts before I rush into buying an engine

it will fit onto a series box but the box's life will be shortened.

if you want to use the lt77 then fit a defender lt77, the shifters are in a better place.

exhaust would have to be made from scratch, including the downpipe.

also the turbo outlet is very close to the chassis rail, but it all will fit.

also you'll need to make up custom propshafts.

Disco 200tdi will bolt straight onto the series gearbox (i make no guarantees for how long the box will last), and the series 2.25 engine mounts (if yours was origionally a petrol model) will bolt stright onto the engine and will line up with the chassis.

Otherwise its all farily easy and is a matter of making things fit. You'll need to some about a throttle linkage as you'll need a cable and not the series mechanical linkage.

I rotated the compressor housing on the turbo so that the outlet was ner vertically upwards and re-tapped the holes for the wastgate actuator. This makes plumbing it much easier. You need to clearance the nearside inner wing to clear the wastgate actuator (a couple of thumps with a mallet worked for me).

The exhaust is a pain, and there really is no option but to make one up to suit. Steve Parker does a downpipe for this conversion into a 90, but I suspect it'll hang down too low to be of much use in a series as the whole engine/trans sits higher up in the chassis on a coiler.

The oil return pipe into the sump also needs moving as where it is otherwise is way too close to the front propshaft. I welded the hole in the sump up and re-positioned it.

Otherwise its just a matter of plumbing it all up!

HTH

Jon

quote name='Jon White' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:39 AM' post='225257']

Disco 200tdi will bolt straight onto the series gearbox (i make no guarantees for how long the box will last), and the series 2.25 engine mounts (if yours was origionally a petrol model) will bolt stright onto the engine and will line up with the chassis.

Otherwise its all farily easy and is a matter of making things fit. You'll need to some about a throttle linkage as you'll need a cable and not the series mechanical linkage.

I rotated the compressor housing on the turbo so that the outlet was ner vertically upwards and re-tapped the holes for the wastgate actuator. This makes plumbing it much easier. You need to clearance the nearside inner wing to clear the wastgate actuator (a couple of thumps with a mallet worked for me).

The exhaust is a pain, and there really is no option but to make one up to suit. Steve Parker does a downpipe for this conversion into a 90, but I suspect it'll hang down too low to be of much use in a series as the whole engine/trans sits higher up in the chassis on a coiler.

The oil return pipe into the sump also needs moving as where it is otherwise is way too close to the front propshaft. I welded the hole in the sump up and re-positioned it.

Otherwise its just a matter of plumbing it all up!

HTH

Jon

Turbo fits 109 like this

post-1882-1201873735_thumb.jpg

an turned like this

post-1882-1201873913_thumb.jpg

made exhaust to fit mine

post-1882-1201874585_thumb.jpg

:huh: TWIZZLE :huh:

There is a really good article on this in one of the landy mags, cant remember which one but it was fairly recent, have a look through the back issues and see if you can find it, mite be of help :D

LRO have been doing a feature on exactly this over the last few issues, they did, in true LRO fashion, buy a complete, ready made, exhaust system rather than fab their own... bit of a cop out if you ask me... but I suppose it works :P

Look for "Project Red shed" :)

All very useful information - it all sounds doable.

Alot of people say the turbo is very close to the chassis - but is it too close? does it cause a problem, I can just image the vibration on start up etc - can it catch?

Jon you said it will use the same mounts if it has 2.25 petrol engine mounts, it's a 2.25 diesel at the moment, it's a 5 bearing engine out of an 84 series 3, with the very latest suffix gearbox.

What is it with the power that kills the gearbox? is it driving as fast as possible or is it the torque when you get stuck etc? I don't want to thrash the engine etc but it would be nice to cruise at 60-70. Also it will be used off road.

With the 4 speed box what sort of top speed are you looking at?

All very useful information - it all sounds doable.

Alot of people say the turbo is very close to the chassis - but is it too close? does it cause a problem, I can just image the vibration on start up etc - can it catch?

Jon you said it will use the same mounts if it has 2.25 petrol engine mounts, it's a 2.25 diesel at the moment, it's a 5 bearing engine out of an 84 series 3, with the very latest suffix gearbox.

What is it with the power that kills the gearbox? is it driving as fast as possible or is it the torque when you get stuck etc? I don't want to thrash the engine etc but it would be nice to cruise at 60-70. Also it will be used off road.

With the 4 speed box what sort of top speed are you looking at?

the engine sits in no probs and clears the chassis no bother i am just fitting one into my series 2 swb the turbo clears fine

60-70 is SERIOUSLY pushing it

i can only just get 75 out of my 200tdi defender

and that has bigger wheels on it....

i expect 50ish... then maybe put an overdrive on... to achieve your 65?

please correct me if im wrong.

If it was too close, people would have been posting that in the numerous 200TDi conversion threads on here and other forums, they aren't so I am guessing it is OK :)

Normally its the racing starts and getting stuck and then suddenly getting traction, go easy, and you will be alright :)

60-70 is SERIOUSLY pushing it

i can only just get 75 out of my 200tdi defender

and that has bigger wheels on it....

i expect 50ish... then maybe put an overdrive on... to achieve your 65?

please correct me if im wrong.

I was just thinking out-loud and knowing my 300tdi Discovery is good for 100+mph I presumed that the 200tdi wouldn't be far behind but I guess the 4 speed box is going to be a real limiting factor.

Thanks for all the advice - I think I'm going to be looking out for a 200tdi to drop in over the next year, just bought the roll cage so that can go on first, need to find some mud tyres, then upgrade the engine.

I was tempted by a v8 the other day, a bloke was selling a range rover with a v8 in (no mot or tax) for £250, but I prefer diesels

twizzle got anymore pictures of the rest of the exhaust?

would a 200tdi fit in a 80inch series one in the same way?

Hi 'mortus'

my exhaustpost-1882-1202028528_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1202028597_thumb.jpg

Transit middle box (but you don't realy need it)

when MOT is done i will put straight through pipe in place

post-1882-1202028668_thumb.jpg

see members vehicles MY 109

;) TWIZZLE ;)

There is a really good article on this in one of the landy mags, cant remember which one but it was fairly recent, have a look through the back issues and see if you can find it, mite be of help :D

Land rover international nov 07 page 204 :D

I dont know if its any use on a series but to gain more low down space I turned the 200TDI turbo upside down :o on my racer then rotated the bearing housing 180 degrees to get the oil feed the right way up. The output from the compresser can then be rotated to any angle that suits. the hardest part of the whole job is making a new wastegate bracket. The exhaust now drops down in front of the engine mounts.

post-3984-1202165580_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

good thread

i was considering this conversion for my vapour project but now i got my hands on a perkins prima and lt77 out of a van so not soo much vapour now and well there are a few reasons why i reckon you should consider this conversion instead of 200tdi in a series

70mph cruise

35-40mpg

similar power/torque curves to 2.25 petrol...easier on the box

can be simply upgraded too similar power to the 200/300tdi

relatively cheap conversion

considering the new project landy is going to be my first car ive gone for the non turbo from the van which is handy coz apparantly its lt77 just bolts to the lr transbox (lt230 though i think) and i can allways swap bits from the turbo over in a few years and tune it up then

any thoughts?

The timing belt is prone to slipping whenever you get mud thrown up at it, I've been there with my mates a few times having reset all the timing in the field.

You may get 30mpg if it's a good 'un. You will need to remote mount the oil filter too as the axle will just remove it otherwise, again been there seen it.

Still it gets the job done but they are getting harder to come by.