OT: HSE warning: Do not

BogMonster

Er ... well I was sitting at my PC round about 5 minutes before I posted the original "top tip". Next to my chair is a flip top bin - you can't get many beer bottles in an ordinary sized one and it saves emptying it so often :D

The orange cat wanders in and makes a pest of itself, so is duly picked up and held in its usual upside down position which it seems to enjoy, and sort of dozed off as it usually does when you tickle its tum. Now I have tried to put a cat in a rubbish bin before when I was young and foolish (I don't know why it just seemed like a good thing to do at the time), and it's one of those operations that is really extremely dangerous if the cat is alerted to your intentions in advance, and can cause intense personal injury with absolutely no chance of achieving the objective ... but in this case he was asleep, and with his head only about a foot from the bin it was just too good a chance to miss after a few beers...

Suffice to say that a bin bag is not strong enough to hold "frantically flailing claws" and was rapidly reduced to a non-rubbish-tight format, and the traction available from an assortment of Heineken bottles and crisp packets is also somewhat limited. I can also confirm that feline four-paw ETC attempting a vertical climb on a loose glass surface makes a spectacular noise :lol: unfortunately some of the rubbish came out with the animal and the rest fell out through the bottom of the bag when I attempted to remove it, which I suppose serves me right really... :unsure:

NB it is also wise to retreat rapidly after the act of depositing the animal as the exit trajectory is somewhat uncertain :blink:

Edited by BogBuster

it is simple, you need to use you superior intellect together with a cat's greed for food to overcome pill giving problem.

wrap pill up in a piece of ham and let cat eat it, if that fails, retrieve pill, cut in to quarters and put inside lumps of cat food.

cats do not chew food but swallow, as seen when they bring it back up - no prizes as to how I know that. :rolleyes:

Oh so true, ................try a part ferrel cat for the "Real" 'full fun and fur' :blink:

Mate suggested the way to get a pill in mine was to get a mouse or bird, shove tablet in said bird / mouse, place near cat....being ferrel it would pounce and eat like lightening on both counts

Its a thought, but I have always taken her to the V E T s and he has said "Oh deep Joy" and shoved on a welders glove and called for the vet nurse who comes in and says...oh ah yeah, that one........

Worth every penny to see a highly qualified vet and vet nurse grab cat tussle, shove tablet in and then "Let go and escape" technique...

Better than TV I said once.......neither were amused, esp as vet had received "Nippette" :lol: and had to then inject himself mi7.gif...worth every penny...

Its nearly 20 years old now, and few months ago dragged in a still alive and none too happy wild rabbit (wild - it was F livid), then having got it through the cat flat, cat tripped over my boots and released grip, ..............

at 7.40something O F clock Sue & I weer chasing both a Rabbit and Ferrel cat around the house, .......it was like something from Buster Keaton film....

Nige

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

Fantastic! :lol:

We used to have a couple of feral cats (one had a bit of proper wild cat in, I think - had the ear tufts and some of the markings). And they were...fun...for anything like that.

The most reliable way of getting the pill down in the first place is to lift the cat (front end only, as long as you do it on a slippy floor or table) by the skin on top of its head (not the scruff). This pulls the cats mouth open and its throat straight. Drop in tablet, rub throat to force it to swallow. Never failed for me.

The harder bit is keeping the pill down... This depends on the cat, but sticking their nose in a bowl of milk usually works - they lick the milk off and swallow again rather than bringing up the tablet.

Hahaha, pets and pills have caused me no end of problems. One of my Labradors was on 6 pills a day for about 18 months before she passed away so I became quite good at making sure the pills were swallowed; bread and butter worked a treat. Anyway, I got puppy over the summer and a few weeks after we got here she decided she wanted to have some of these special doggy treat. When I had my back turned, she jumped up, pulled the pills off the side and then ate most of them. That resulted in a hurried trip to the vet to have her stomache pumped. I could have killed her! With the vets bills and the cost of more pills it was a rather expensive little incident. Why is it that when you want then to swallow something its impossible to make them do it but when you don't want them to eat something they wolf it straight down..... <_<

Years ago I used to keep snakes, (well I had a private zoo almost). Anyway, giving reptiles medication knocks most other animals into a cocked hat. The biggest snake I had was a 14-foot Indian Python. She weighed 9-stone and was incredibly strong. Putting pills in their food wasn't really an option as she only ate every 10-14 days, so 'ram it down the throat' was the only way. There's nothing you can grab hold of to keep it still, not that it would do you a lot of good, a snake that size will do or go where it wants to. Pythons have well over 100 teeth, all leaning towards the back of the mouth in a similar fashion to sharks. If you get bitten even the snake has a problem spitting you out. They also fight back by lashing you with their tail and it bluddy hurts I can tell you. You get one shot and then have to wait for an hour or so for the snake to be calm again. Fortunately snakes cannot spit out what's in their mouth, they can be sick, but it's rare, so at least once the pill is in, it'll only go one way, and that's down it's throat. So grab snake (you have about 10-seconds before you have no choice but to let go) force a pencil across the front of it's mouth and slide backwards. The snakes mouth will open and you have to deftly flick the pill in as far as you can. If you haven't let go immediately, then you had best to. The bite hurts and it's difficult to get the snake to let go without hurting it. First time I was bitten and then 'handcuffed' by a friends sick Reticulated Python, it had hold of the the skin on the back of my left hand and was using it as an anchor point to constrict my hands. The skin was being pulled almost off my hand and I had to relax and put the snakes head under water until it let go.

Giving reptiles medication is definitely more manly.

Cat's - Ptah!!

Lessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! :P

Edited by Les Henson

Er ... well I was sitting at my PC round about 5 minutes before I posted the original "top tip". Next to my chair is a flip top bin - you can't get many beer bottles in an ordinary sized one and it saves emptying it so often :D

The orange cat wanders in and makes a pest of itself, so is duly picked up and held in its usual upside down position which it seems to enjoy, and sort of dozed off as it usually does when you tickle its tum. Now I have tried to put a cat in a rubbish bin before when I was young and foolish (I don't know why it just seemed like a good thing to do at the time), and it's one of those operations that is really extremely dangerous if the cat is alerted to your intentions in advance, and can cause intense personal injury with absolutely no chance of achieving the objective ... but in this case he was asleep, and with his head only about a foot from the bin it was just too good a chance to miss after a few beers...

Suffice to say that a bin bag is not strong enough to hold "frantically flailing claws" and was rapidly reduced to a non-rubbish-tight format, and the traction available from an assortment of Heineken bottles and crisp packets is also somewhat limited. I can also confirm that feline four-paw ETC attempting a vertical climb on a loose glass surface makes a spectacular noise :lol: unfortunately some of the rubbish came out with the animal and the rest fell out through the bottom of the bag when I attempted to remove it, which I suppose serves me right really... :unsure:

NB it is also wise to retreat rapidly after the act of depositing the animal as the exit trajectory is somewhat uncertain :blink:

FOR F*CK'S SAKE, WILL YOU DO A SEARCH? WHY SHOULD PEOPLE SHARE THEIR HARD WON EXPERIENCE ON THIS BOARD WITH THE LIKES OF YOU IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE THE BLOODY USEFUL INFORMATION THAT THEY POST?!!! FOR THE LAST TIME, IF YOU ARE GOING TO UNDERTAKE A N Y KIND OF HAZARDOUS FELINE OPERATION THAT REQUIRES TRACTION, USE A BLOODY KittyGripper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: