This months LRW magazine

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I thumbed through it just now, and was reading the story on the "seriously prepared 110 DC", and afterwards had to fling an email off to the editors:

Hi there all,

i wasn't sure who to direct this email to, so thought i'd try several names.

I picked up this months magazine today, and was eagerly reading the article on the double cab 110 tomb raider look-a-like.

now, call me pedantic, but i'd have thought that an excellent LR magazine like yours could tell what type of vehicle it is?

on the front cover it states "a seriously prepared Td5 110"

inside it harps on about how it's a 2007 2.4 puma engine'd truck, with the 6 speed 'box, yet clearly it's got a pre Td5 dashboard (as you can see, the instrument binnacle has the old style pre-Td5 warning lights and guages)

the chap even states that he bought it second hand last summer.... before the 2.4 was on sale!

I suspect all he's done is get an early vehicle (200/300tdi type) and stuck on a late 2007 bonnet? ci?

come on guys.... you can do better than this! i get your mag as opposed to LR oh because i don't like reading tons of advertisements all the time, and your tech articles are better, but to be let down by silly mistakes like this... tut tut...

Jamie Austin

Swindon

Wilts.

Am i being sad? answers on a postcard. :lol:

Not sd atall. It always annoys me seeing silly mistakes like that. When I browes Ebay for military radio gear I cant help but send "ask the seller a question" telling him how its is not what he says it is or adding some kind of info since the guy has no clue what it is he is trying to sell. Sorry.. I might be a sad ex Royal Signals guy but i cant help it.

I thumbed through it just now, and was reading the story on the "seriously prepared 110 DC", and afterwards had to fling an email off to the editors:

The January LRW had an article on a TD5. In the text they called it a Tdi.

They even had a photo of the engine bay showing a TD5 and the caption called it a Tdi.

I am loving the 'tdi in to series' article going on by lro staff, the corners they cut are amazing!

missing bolts on the bellhousing, pictures clearly showing staff members working under/around an engine supported by straggely builders rope, Andthis months special is 'turbo pipework' i was interested in this as 2 years ago when i was 15 i did a disco into 90 conversion and made my own pipework, what did lr oh do? go to alisport get some blingysilicon hoses and joiners, pipe the turbo straight in to the inlet manifold with no intercooler and clearly show pictures with the hoses kinked over on the corners :blink: .

Ok so fitting the intercooler in a series engine bay is more technical but sheesh its not rocket science.

i cant wait for next month :lol:

Will.

I have to laugh and no you are not being sad, it makes you wonder though how a LR magazine can get things so wrong when they are or should be somewhat experts as they are living and breathing them day in day out, it would be like going to a LR dealer and asking if they have a freelander and him bringin out a disco

100% sad mate:

1. For noticing.

2. For complaining.

3. for buying the mag in the first place! :lol::lol:

I presume you anorak is to hand? I'd suggest you put int on!

I'm already wearing my coat and heading speedily for the doo!! :lol::P

i was reading LRM this weekend current edition

had a nice piece about DEVON4x4's morocoo challenge

the best bit was

it has taken 800 hours to build the truck and has cost 15K not bad for a competitive vehicle

15k/800

mmm thats 18.75 per hour i am sure devon 4x4's rates are more than that and that they had to pay some thing for parts?

Just a bit of an editing cock-up. The interior pics shown are of the TD5 competition 90 that will have a write up in a future issue. The main body of text is correct and only talks about the 2.4 2007 110. If you were really sad you would have noticed this! ;););););)

Steve

i was reading LRM this weekend current edition

had a nice piece about DEVON4x4's morocoo challenge

the best bit was

it has taken 800 hours to build the truck and has cost 15K not bad for a competitive vehicle

15k/800

mmm thats 18.75 per hour i am sure devon 4x4's rates are more than that and that they had to pay some thing for parts?

As you no doubt guessed the 15K was cost of 110 base vehicle and add on parts and did not include labour costs. The idea of giving this cost was to give a comparable cost of someone doing it themselves.

IIRC from a post on their forum, Devon 4x4 labour rates are approx 40+VAT

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As you no doubt guessed the 15K was cost of 110 base vehicle and add on parts and did not include labour costs. The idea of giving this cost was to give a comparable cost of someone doing it themselves.

IIRC from a post on their forum, Devon 4x4 labour rates are approx 40+VAT

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you know that i know that but that is not what the article inferred.

Oh that one, had a nose over that at Billing. For £50k I'd be expecting something a bit more special than a 90 with a coat of polish and some bolted-on tat, no matter how neatly it's bolted on.

Are they restricted on tyre size? :huh:

I liked this:

Storage

Storage is kept to a minimum to reduce weight.

Or could it be because there's nowhere to put anything on a tray-back? :rolleyes:

BTW I remembered another great magazine tip - this month's LRO I think advised someone it's OK to bolt a Disco diff into their S3, without mentioning you should probably be doing it as a pair to avoid interesting effects when you engage 4WD :blink:

Guest diesel_jim
Have you had a reply to your email?

:lol:

Yes i did, first thing this morning, so hats off to the editorial team.

Got a reply from the lovely Laura (well, in her pictures she looks lush anyhow! B) ):

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your letter. We've had a few comments on this feature so I'll have a chat to the editor about it. We like pedantic readers! There doesn't seem to be any excuse for these errors so your comments are duly noted. Thanks for the email.

Kind regards,

Laura

Laura Daniel

Staff writer

Land Rover World & 4x4 Magazine

Guest diesel_jim

Miss.... even better!!! :D:D:D

i did suggest to her on a later email that she should be in the centerfold one month, she said they'd have to increase her salary a lot first!