Electric fan

Cock. I found this thread here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1766 but that only details a 200Tdi.

Has anyone done this for a 300? I assume you would need a shorter belt then to make up for the fact it's missing the fan one? Or should I just disconnect the fan from the weel, and leave it so it spins anyhoo, (although it would defeat some of the point of putting an electric one in in the first place.)

• 4 weeks later...

I found it quite difficult to remove the fan from a Td5. But with an adjustable spanner it was possible. Try and keep the belt on, and use it to lock the pulley in place.

Another thing. The original, plastic, visco fan on a Td5 Defender will with no problem cut a big hole in the radiator if the visco is stuck and you enter deep water.

The good thing tho is that by cutting the damaged radiator cells clean and bending them twice you can actually get it tight. I used mine for almost 5k km before getting hold of a new one. I actually went to a coolant repair shop, but they didn't consider it possible to solder due to the risc of damaging the plastic edges of the radiator.

I had my light on this morning and it definately looked more like a graduated thermometer than a !

Yes, had a better look at the owners handbook & it shows a thermometer icon inside a gearwheel, should be red when lit, but only if the main gearbox has the temp sender switch fitted.

Do you guys remove it with the difflock tools?

I know they are cheaper than the LR items - but it still seems a bit expensive to me!!!

I'm thinking would my windy gun spin it off? I've used it on motorbike clutches and its worked ok.

32mm viscous fan cranked spanner (draper/sealey) available from most places.

difflock.com, ccw-tools etc.

don't forget it's a left handed thread (knock it to the right to loosen) spent ages once tightening mine :angry: doh!

the last one i removed i just smashed the plastic bits off with a big hammer then the nut is really easy to get at... i was never intending to re-fit it, and there doesnt seem to be much of a re-sale market for dubious looking rusty old viscous fans, so it saved me having to get a special spanner or mess about for ages....

I took mine off my 200tdi, and in the end never put it back on. - So I had no viscous fan, and no electic fan.

Ran like that for over two years & never overheated. The cooling capacity seems so great, I don't think you need anything in this country.

I took mine off my 200tdi, and in the end never put it back on. - So I had no viscous fan, and no electic fan.

Ran like that for over two years & never overheated. The cooling capacity seems so great, I don't think you need anything in this country.

It is off road where I find the fan comes on. Lots of driving along with no speed or wind. It comes on every few minutes for 10 seconds. The only time that I saw it come on on road was a very long 12% grade.