Where is that very deep water

Hi all,

I have a memory of being told of a seriously deep watery road :lol: in the south of england surrey Hampshire west Sussex maybe ?

Am dead curious and now a few of us fancy having a trip out one day to do it drown ourselves :lol:

Trouble is can't remember where it is ?

Anyone know and anyone confirm its still legal etc, pics would be good ?

Help

Nige

Wattons Ford in Hampshire at SU 137 017

Recorded as a RUPP on OS map, water often 3- 4 foot deep, not far south of Ringwood just off the the road from Ringwood to Bournemouth iirc- not a million miles from Hurn airport. i drove it years ago when a teenager as a passenger in a hybrid.

That looks interesting !

Can you give me coordibates ?

The one I am thinking about I think is called "Wattons Ford ?....linky maybe here ?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=41...p=newsearch.srf

Anyone know about this one too ?

Nige

Nige,

this on is on wetroads.co.uk

Do a find for "Wattons Ford" on this page wetroads.co.uk.

been meaning to go have a look at it :)

Nigel

Theres one in Lavant near chichester - found on wet roads and also went there on Sunday after the trial at Brick Kiln to wash my tyres off - did'nt drive the whole length though but know where it comes out the Chi end wanted to check it 1st and did'nt have much time on sunday

I know the area very well spent my childhood playing in the general area and getting wet in the river ! and only went for the 1st time last sunday

Its running fairly quick at the moment

Steve

Edited by GBMUD
Link Removed

There's a really good looking ford near Lymington, Hants HERE (scroll down to Boldre). I've recce'd it a few times and always chickened out! It'd be best to approach it from the north and winch down into the river as it was virgin river bank when I last went there and there's potential to cause a lot of damage if you just slip in.....

Are you not thinking of Furneux Pelham perhaps?? Thats the BIG one most people talk about down south! Not necessarilly the DEEPEST, but the LONGEST ford in the UK.

If you check out Wetroads.....any of the 5 star fords will do the trick.

If you ever decide to do the one in Clapham......give me a shout, as its only half a mile from me.

Martin

Are you not thinking of Furneux Pelham perhaps?? Thats the BIG one most people talk about down south! Not necessarilly the DEEPEST, but the LONGEST ford in the UK.

If you check out Wetroads.....any of the 5 star fords will do the trick.

If you ever decide to do the one in Clapham......give me a shout, as its only half a mile from me.

Martin

I have been through that ford, and yes it is very long but also deceptive :huh: We walked down some of it and thought that it wasn't too bad, well we was walking! However, we couldn't have been more wrong. I was in a standard height 110 td5 and the water was coming through the floor! We managed to stop on one shallow point to let the water out :P and check the v8 rangie behind us! The water level was just under the front door handle. And the v8 had stopped running when it got onto the shallow point! We then had to tow the rangie through the rest, we was around half way and this point. And it did get a little deeper still. It was coming over the bonnet and up the windsceen (towing!) and that was with hardly a bow wave. We made it and so did the disco infront that just plodded through no probs, although he wasn't towing! :P But anyone who gets the chance, go for it, you'll enjoy it ;)

ps; snorkels are recommended :P

There is also a reasonable size food in my village Thurlow. You drive across a very large opening of the river stour. There is a Measuring pole in the centre, usually at around 2ft, but it starts to get exiting at 3ft and then scary at 3.5ft-4ft as at that height the river will have a huge current. A freind drove through at 3.5ft in his 110 tomb raider and the current started to push the back end out :o

Wattons ford is about 2 mins from where i shall be marshalling on sunday at the matchams playday - last time i looked at the ford in my TD5 i thought better of it, it was bloody deep then, but that was a long time ago!

Guest diesel_jim
Wattons Ford in Hampshire at SU 137 017

Recorded as a RUPP on OS map, water often 3- 4 foot deep, not far south of Ringwood just off the the road from Ringwood to Bournemouth iirc- not a million miles from Hurn airport. i drove it years ago when a teenager as a passenger in a hybrid.

I went down to Bournemouth a few weeks ago, and was suprised..no, annoyed, to see that a lot of the byway's (near the main road) were now RB's...

damn annoying.bloody tree hugging council :angry::angry:

If you want deep water then drive the tidal road at Aveton Gifford during the spring tides ................ its about 2-3 ft on neaps, 3-4 feet on normal tides, and 5ft on spring tides .................. you are far enough up stream for it to be mostly backed up fresh water................. the road is about a mile long, but stay between the markers. ;)

:)

Ian

• 1 year later...

To drag an old thread up .... :)

Wattons Ford, anyone know if its is still legal (daft maybe but legal :P:lol: ) ???

If not a trip to county hall for definative map starring may be in order :)

I think from research so far it is 100% legal, but would like to be certain

:)

Nige