Changing from Low to high on the fly

Afternoon all,

I know it can be done as it says so in the manual BUT when i tried the other day i was going about 15mph dropped main gear stick into neutral clutch out - clutch in change from low to high then main gearstick back into gear. There was a clunk which didnt sound like it was right?? Also seemed to take me ages to do which surely is not the best thing when towing something heavy as by the time you have changed you need to change back again!!!! Question is whether the clunk (no synchromesh???) is as it should be and whether you are damaging the T-box by doing this.

Cheers in advance

I change from high box to low box on the move. Then back up again.

Normally in third gear. Let the revs drop. Not always possible I know.

I do not touch the main box gear lever.

So here we go.

Clutch down. Transfer box in to neutral.

Clutch up, rev engine.

Clutch down and slide the transfer box lever into low box.

Done correctly the gear will slide in like a knife through hot butter.

Going back up is the same but you do not rev the engine.

Just like a proper non synchro gearbox really. You will need to practice if you've only driven synchro gearboxes.

HTH

mike

Try was Lord Mayor of London. Can't died in the workhouse.

Hmmm ok have never double declutched before so should be fun. When you let engine revs drop - if your going up a hill thats levelling off it must be difficult to keep speed. What is the idea behind changing that way??

Think i understand but would be great if you could explain.

Normally I do it just trickleing forward, second year usually, clutch in, just feeling the transfer lever into mesh.

I've done it at higher speeds, double de-clutching, when i've got moving and not wanted to slow down again.

Low box is rather useful for Sheffield traffic jams! I wonder how many clutches i'm burning out behind me.

I just stop and change it. It saves all that clutching/revving/getting it right palaver !

Mo :)

I was in a game drive vehicle who stopped to change into low and difflock. Then we stopped again with loss of traction. Had the drive done it my way we wouldn't have needed recovery.

Soft sand is another. You can't always see the soft stuff util you hit it. Changing while moving helps.

My 50 pence worth.....

mike

its mainly for use with a boat on the tail - i have to go up a steepish long hill from the slip way so dont want to stop until i hit the flat. I guess double de-clutching is the way then!! So if i get it right i should hear no clunk??

Seems not many people use the technique much.

Seems not many people use the technique much.

I don't know.

I was asked at Land Rover Experience Skipton if I could change hi to low without stopping by my instructor.

Yes I did it and for once got it right. :P

mike

I was in a game drive vehicle who stopped to change into low and difflock. Then we stopped again with loss of traction. Had the drive done it my way we wouldn't have needed recovery.

Soft sand is another. You can't always see the soft stuff util you hit it. Changing while moving helps.

My 50 pence worth.....

mike

And quite entitled to your 50p worth you are too, Mike. :) It's a marvelous skill to have but not strictly needed for most UK driving and I find that changing whilst stationary to be kinder to the box.

Mo

And quite entitled to your 50p worth you are too, Mike. :) It's a marvelous skill to have but not strictly needed for most UK driving and I find that changing whilst stationary to be kinder to the box.

Mo

Yes Mo i agree.

However when I learnt to drive sychro boxes were years away.

:lol: Try a Bristol with a 5 cylinder Gardiner and 5 speed Bristolbox. If you missed with that box you would have your hand flung across the cab if you were lucky. Generally it hit the back of the cab and didn't it hurt............... :lol: We had to double up and down :lol:

I was suprised that I was asked a LR experience.

mike

Anyone who's had early Landies will be able to double declutch! :rolleyes:

As said above, unladen and just getting back on tarmac, it may be kinder to stop to do it. Not practical though when shifting 3 ton of trailer, going low to high is a nescessity. Can be done without a clunk with practice but don't worry too much about it.

Be thankful you're not doing it in a jap 4x4, site vehicles we have are awful, I've just done severe damage to a brand new Mitsubishi L200 in conditions a Defender would laugh off. The Ford Ranger I used wouldn't even engage 4wd on the move.

I know I'm joining this a bit late but I was away.. The big clunk is totally normal. Every landrover I drove from Army, V8 defenders, 2.5D Defenders, Wolfs, to Civi 2.5 petrols, 200, 300tdi and TD5s make that noise. I always change from low to high at a crawling speed of about 5 to 10mph, normally in 2nd gear. Almost always makes a clunk, bigger clunk if I'm in a rush, but no clunk if I am at a stand still and being extra slow with the change.

Its nothing to worry about.

I change from high box to low box on the move. Then back up again.

Normally in third gear. Let the revs drop. Not always possible I know.

I do not touch the main box gear lever.

So here we go.

Clutch down. Transfer box in to neutral.

Clutch up, rev engine.

Clutch down and slide the transfer box lever into low box.

Done correctly the gear will slide in like a knife through hot butter.

Going back up is the same but you do not rev the engine.

Just like a proper non synchro gearbox really. You will need to practice if you've only driven synchro gearboxes.

HTH

mike

Spot on.

Landybear - the difference here is:

You:

clutch in

Gear to Neutral

Clutch up

Clutch in

Transfer to L/H

Clutch up

*clunk*

Mike:

clutch in

Transfer to Neutral

Clutch up

Clutch in

Transfer to L/H

(optional: select new gear)

Clutch up

*mmmm*

You need to be in gear to align the transfer box

Low box is rather useful for Sheffield traffic jams! I wonder how many clutches i'm burning out behind me.

Likewise. I don't usually need to change from low to high on the move, but the traffic jams I sit in twice a week give me the opportunity to practice (any annoy everyone behind me :lol: ).

I have always used Low-Range when in slow moving traffic whether it be in my old S111, 101 or current 90 (yes I know about wind-up in the S111 but the FWH's were usually dis-engaged and anyway, short distances in a straight line never did it any harm). The benefit is that instead of constantly dipping the clutch you can sit there in Low 1st with your feet on the floor knowing that the cars behind you are slipping their clutches like mad!

Smooth changes on the move can be an aquired art (especially if you are a younger driver who is used to smooth, clean- changing gearboxes) but they are perfectly possible and like they say, practice makes perfect.

It was a tip I learnt from my old dad in his S11A (when the S11A was still a recent vehicle!). We did a lot of caravanning and it was common for the LR owners to pull the caravans off muddy fields. Having got the unit off the field you couldn't just stop on the road to swop tow-vehicles so we would drive off down the road to a suitable layby where the owner could hitch-up. It was common practice for all LR owners to move into High when on the move to keep the traffic flowing.

Dont really have that much traffic around me to be honest, only in the summer where you might as well walk. Found low range good for car parks though just for a laugh. I had a practice today and still clunking. Tried a bigger blip and smaller blip and still a clunk. Need to keep trying me feels