The definitive Bobtail SVA thread

bishbosh

Thanks for your sympathies folks, it is appreciated!

I could get another chassis, strip, rebuild and sva but it is a lot of work and I really don't have the drive and energy needed to do that. The truck has had a lot of my blood, sweat and tears put into it to get where it is and I know I haven't got it in me to do it again, particlarly as it would have to be in double quick time as SWMBO needs a vehicle on a daily basis.

Walfy - bury my head? I just pulled it out FFS!! :lol:

Pikey - Logic? In a government system? What planet are you on? :hysterical:

Guest WALFY

Did you not take any pics of your build? When I said bury your head I meant rebury it! I still think there are ways to achieve this easily.

I am really sorry to hear that. So much effort for nought. I must admit that I have been watching this with hope as were I to get another Land Rover I wouldn't be able to help but change it, that is most of the point of having one that is so adaptable.

Bad luck Bish!

Surely it must be worth thinking about a rebuild on a 'new' chassis? Yours had had a good innings - I remember the thread about the redesigned chassis rail :ph34r:

Totally agree with Tim - you're being bent over because you don't fit into one of the nice, pre assigned, boxes. IMHO any chassis mod means you really need to go amateur built - one of the many reasons mine is taking longer than planned as I am now building a new car using the old one as a donor vehicle.

Anyway, chin up. Could you use the excuse to go something like a Tomcat????

Bish, sorry to hear the news but one up to you for trying and I do hope you work something out.

Looking at the classifications you listed what are the regs on armoured vehicles? Maybe with an exo cage you could claim this option and get the SVA

Bish you must be gutted mate- hope you can come up with some way round the silly little rules. I wonder what would happen if you went to a different VOSA station (say Taunton) and told them you wanted to submit your vehicle as an amateur built vehicle?

Well done for being brave enough to tackle it head on.

to be honest, where there's a will there's a way, not saying that you're giving up too soon or anything, but in my experience, when the rules are being retentive, all one has to do is be retentive back!

see if you can get a full description in writing of each of the classifications, what they entail etc. there's bound to be a way around it.

its a great shame that the government seems so intent on destroying the classic car industry in the hope for more votes, don't they realise that in their crazy search for 'environmentalism'' stopping classic cars that aren't as efficient fromo being used on the road, theyre forcing us to go out and buy newly manufactured cars whose amount of pollution per mile driven is so much higher?

Guest WALFY

Si great idea in principle, but as good as the blokes and ladies on here are would you trust people to rebuild your brakes for you or do up all the critical bolts around your veh. I would have to pick a select few people that I'd trust very well to do it for me. If it went wrong it woulkd be the old story of somebody,everybody and nobody doing a job.

A great plan but I think it would fail. If Bish did go down the new chassis route, how long to change a chassis on your own in a garage with all the toys? And does anyone have such a workshop that Bish could use local to his house.

If it did go ahead I'd offer my services but I'm not sure how good my skills are compared to others. I make a mean cup of tea :P

Why not remove the chassis number, say it's a kit you've built up from several donor veh, apply for a new chassis number and reg from DVLA, apply for a SVA. Bob's your uncle.

Or do what the rest of the population do and bury your head and carry on rather than make life difficult for yourself. There are more than a couple of ways to skin a cat. Just don't choose the hardest way, you get no extra browny points for it

i was told if i remove the chassis number ........ i could be prosecuted for tampering with the original.

and if you bury your head in the sand, and someone crashes into you and get seriously hurt and the powers that be get involved...... then you'll get sent to hell and back.

i agree the red tape is a joke, but if you drive with ya head in the sand theyre could be trouble....... would your insurance pay out? probably not. You you be annoyed if you were hit by an illegal driver? yes probably.

Once again folks your generosity astounds me :i-m_so_happy:

However, I am not going to trouble you this time.

I have decided it is time for a run of the mill 90. Not different, not special, not exciting, but also not "hybrid" "bobtail" "trayback" :ph34r: or anything else that puts me in the shaddow of this bluddy red tape.

Cheers!

Once again folks your generosity astounds me :i-m_so_happy:

However, I am not going to trouble you this time.

I have decided it is time for a run of the mill 90. Not different, not special, not exciting, but also not "hybrid" "bobtail" "trayback" :ph34r: or anything else that puts me in the shaddow of this bluddy red tape.

Cheers!

You didn't want to fit steering column controls and put it through as a disabled vehicle then? :o

You didn't want to fit steering column controls and put it through as a disabled vehicle then? :o

This has in fact happened for quite some time as an SVA fix for rallycars(no joke). Until the Vosa watched a rallyvideo and didnt see any disabled drivers and they fixed that hole in the rules.

Daan

Have I missed a step in the process here?

If the DVLA inspector deemed it needed an SVA then he/she must have had some idea which category it would fall into. If that was 'R' then they would have known you could not pass.

Have you been back to them to ask which class to submit it in?

Steve

ETA

Just been back and looked at the definitions in DVLA web site and am convinced Bishtail fits Radically altered vehicle.

Quote DVLA web site.

"The registration of radically altered vehicles covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value in order to retain the original registration mark.

Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated."

I read from this that as the chassis is modified then it will get a Q registration (no big deal).

It will have to go for SVA.

Looking at the SVA book I can see nothing preventing it being presented as an amateur built vehicle.

The definitions section (Page 7 chap. 9) says 'A vehicle constructed or assembled for the personal use of an individual and

The construction/assembly or a substantial part of it was carried out by the individual and/or other persons acting on his behalf and

The individual/other persons acting on his behalf during the period of construction/assembly did not have a business in which motor vehicles are normally constructed/assembled.

• '
    I'm assuming Bish is not a motor manufacturer.
    Still looks possible to me.
    Steve

when i spoke to mr sva man yesterday he said that provided i wasnt in the motor industry and had loads of

pics/receipts for what i'm building mine would be classed as a amateur build and providing i followed there

guides and applied for a new chassis number there wouldnt be any probs

cant see why you cant go down this route

yer it means stripping it taking pics etc but amateur build seems the way to go

but yer a 90 would be easier

Have I missed a step in the process here?

If the DVLA inspector deemed it needed an SVA then he/she must have had some idea which category it would fall into. If that was 'R' then they would have known you could not pass.

Have you been back to them to ask which class to submit it in?

I left a message for the inspector to ask him to confimr the category for SVA.

He left me a message yesterday confirming it would be ESVA. :(

So chaps, who's got a 90 they don't want? ;)

Bish sorry to hear the bad news,

How cheep a 90 do you want? I know of one in Melksham that is going on the market, same owner last 5 years, been used as his wifes run around. Bit tatty but its a Tdi hard top with side windows and bench seats on a L plate if memory serves me correctly. Think he wants around £2300. Or are you looking for a motor that needs running gear?

Let me know what RR bits you want to get rid and I will make you an offer. Then I can put them with your old V8!

Brookers