Does a 300TDI use more diesel than a 200TDI

stobbie

I have a 'new' Defender 110 300 TDI Stationwagon to replace my older 200TDI stationwagon.

My 200TDI gave me an average of 30MPG, I did expect to get the same figures from my 300TDI. I was suprised to find my 300 uses a lot more diesel, I have to drive like my grandmother to get 21MPG. Is this normal?

My 200 was also a lot faster, had a topspeed of around 85 MPH, my 300 only gets to 75, and slows down uphill.

Engine sounds wonderfull, doesn't smoke on startup, no puff of smoke. Only when driving under maximum load or with a trailer there is a little black smoke..

If this is normal it may have been better to have kept my 200, although the rest of my new car is in much much better condition.

Foto-XRZLGTHL.jpg

I've heard people say the 200 is slightly better, but in reality there should be very little difference. I got 28mpg in my 300TDi station wagon a few years back commuting in and out of London.

I suggest you get it looked at, mine would do similar speeds to those you quote for the 200 and hills were not much of a problem unless they were really steep.

Richard

Well I know what I got with my 300Tdi station wagon on krap southern African fuel, with roof rack and a top box fitted. The vehicle weighed about 3.400kg most of the time.

That was tar, gravel ansd sand roads.

23 mpg.

mike

Mirroe,mirror

On the wall

Let them beg

Let them crawl.

I have to agree with all others - I used a 200 Defender regularly, which as you say returned about 30mpg. I've also used a 200 and 300 Disco which both return about 30mpg, even towing. The only difference is a slight power increase, which I thought was obtaained by adjustment of the pump. I think this difference is so small that it is probably negated by driving styles anyway.

20mpg sound wrong & expensive !

you guys are quoting crazy 200tdi figures. I've never had more than 26mpg (while driving miss daisy) and 18mpg wile pulling a trailer with a car on it and normaly between 20 and 24mpg for normal every day driving:-(

Mylast 200tdi was really fast (would do about 90mph at a push) but this one(different engine same landrover) struggles to do 62MPH and gives the same bad MPG figure..

Every time I;v asked anyone or been to a garage they told me that is normal mpg and I should be happy with it..

theyre lying dude, I get 36 on a run out of mine. has been known to touch 38 on a couple of occasions

if i give it some stick i can get it into the fairly high 20s but thats about it really

200tdi by the way. my dad's lucky to get 25 out of his 300 most of the time, but he only does short journeys. he can get 30 on a run. sucks to be him i guess

as for 300s having more power. rubbish. all the figures are 111hp same as the 200. only the edc version of the 300 had more and that was because it was auto nigh on all of cases, and needed that extra

We've had three 200TDi's - disco, 90 and Range rover. All returned around 28-30 per gallon. T 'other half's 300TDi 90 is returning around the same. Even pulling the horse trailer with two in I don't recall the economy dropping below 24

Does seem odd your 300's so low, if it were mine I'd be getting it looked at.

I don't get more than 24 out of my 200. Never go above 60mph due to 1.6 transfer box.

What could be out of sync to cause such low figures? I'd always put it down to having a full external cage adding tonnes of drag. Fuel filter? Timing?

it sounds strange to me to, but I don't know what can cause the problem. I drive 255/85's but I had these on the 200 also so this shouldn't be the problem. I've taken my EGR off last week and have put silicone hoses on it. I've put a new airfilter in (it had a K&N filter, so that should have been ok also).

Next step I could flush my intercooler, maybe that's stuffed. Or I could have my injectors tested, the car has done 150000 miles. What's a normal life span for 300 injectors? But if these are causes of the low mpg I would expect a lot of black smoke, and there is very little..

as for 300s having more power. rubbish. all the figures are 111hp same as the 200. only the edc version of the 300 had more and that was because it was auto nigh on all of cases, and needed that extra

Nope your wrong

Defender 200Tdi has 107bhp & 188lbft torque

Discovery 200Tdi & 300Tdi's [non-automatic gearbox] hasve 111bhp & 195lbft torque, the auto Disco/RR version has 120bhp to overcome the torque losses in the drivetrain.

ok conceded, i'll take your word for it for now, ive only ever bothered looking at the figures for the discovery, i just NATURALLY assumed that the defender with the exact same engine would have the exact same figures, so what gives??

since the topic was re: 200tdi vs 300tdi i was also correct, as like for like in a discovery, when not talking edc, they are the same power

still want to know why and how the defender engine is less powerful, makes zero sense

My 200TDi is vastly better than our 300TDi Discovery.

The 110 has done over 33MPG on a 600mile run (usually 29mpg day to day) the Disco rarely gets more than 25mpg around here.

Flat out the Disco will do 80 the 110 has seen 93 on the GPS.

On the 1in4 hills we have here the Disco is often in 1st gear whereas the 110 uses 2nd.

Both vehicles run oversize tyres 235/85x16 ATs on the Disco and 255/85x16 MTs on the 110.

I was talking about engines with an old farmer a few weeks ago and he said that the 200TDi was his favourite, he regretted buying a new 300 and regrets buying his TD5 even more as its had bouts of not starting since he bought it new.

Will :)

Flat out the Disco will do 80 the 110 has seen 93 on the GPS.

think i need to get my disco checked wiv a gps

i can get the needle round to 110 but i recon its doing more

like 90

average mpg is 28/30

My 200 disco on 156K pulls better up hills and towing than my farther inlaws 300 disco on 86K

i also get 30mpg as an average on a long motorway run i have got up to 38

towing it go down to 18-23mpg depending on what i'm towing and were i'm going(Hilly or flat roads).

We used to often do 110mph with brand new Wolfs (300tdi) in the Army (thats pulling a trailer too.. shhhh) and somtimes more without a trailer. To be honest i could never feel the trailer with a wolf but god dont you know its there with the old army 2.5D :-S

When I left the Army the average wolf wouldnt do more than 75 or 80. There were so many crashes with them that the Army had many of them limited with various methods.

I think my main problem for speed and mpg is the transfer box I have (from a 2.5 petrol). Only thing is.. If I put a defender or a disco box on I cant imagin how I would cope with less power to pull away with. I already complain at how slow it is (0 to 60 test not practical becuase I cant always be sire to get to 60) and I would have even more trouble on the hills. The slightest hill I end up down to 50mph in 5th gear (but strangely I can go up quite steep hills without dropping bellow 40, it just keeps pulling up at that speed??)

I blame the K&N. If it's not been looked after your engine will be full of grinding paste. Scrap it :)

[soapbox mode on] K&N should be sued for all the expense they have caused over the years. you may know that I escaped turning my engine into scrap by a whisker. And I do still own the genuine cleaner and oil. But this is in a dusty climate. Maybe K&Ns are ok in the UK, though I think you could save the money and run with no air cleaner at all [soapbox mode off]

Sorry, it's like a red rag to a bull. As they said in Fawlty Towers "don't mention K&N filters!"

We used to often do 110mph with brand new Wolfs (300tdi) in the Army (thats pulling a trailer too.. shhhh) and somtimes more without a trailer. To be honest i could never feel the trailer with a wolf but god dont you know its there with the old army 2.5D :-S

When I left the Army the average wolf wouldnt do more than 75 or 80. There were so many crashes with them that the Army had many of them limited with various methods.

I think my main problem for speed and mpg is the transfer box I have (from a 2.5 petrol). Only thing is.. If I put a defender or a disco box on I cant imagin how I would cope with less power to pull away with. I already complain at how slow it is (0 to 60 test not practical becuase I cant always be sire to get to 60) and I would have even more trouble on the hills. The slightest hill I end up down to 50mph in 5th gear (but strangely I can go up quite steep hills without dropping bellow 40, it just keeps pulling up at that speed??)

i think you have explained your own bad mpg figures. 110mph with a trailer brave or stupid?

Back OT i think there must be something out with your 300tdi there is no way it should be doing 21mpg when under the same driving style your 200 was doing 30mpg. There is some difference between them but not that much. my 300tdi did 26-28mpg regularly std hardtop no extras 10k on it when it was knicked!

My 200tdi was doing 30ish in the summer when I was doing longer runs and depending how I was driving. 26 on shorter trips and blasting round the lanes. Then all I have manged recently was 23mpg but that was because it was running badly as the timing was up the creek and smoking badly.

Hoping by next week when it is fixed I will get 30ish again

Jon