Roll Cab Tool Chest Suggestions

sotal

I'm after buying a cheap tool chest, something like this:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...chests-cabinets

I'd prefer as many shallow drawers as possible, a lot of the cheap ones just have a few deep drawers or a couple of drawers then a big cupboard at the bottom (I don't want that)

Cheapness is quite important, I've got a top box to go on top, which is red so red would be better but I'm not that fussed.

Any suggestions? That clarke one is £160 next week as they are having a VAT Free Sale

I know the HD ones are better, but I can't justify the cost for how much it will be used.

So I need something cheaper!

Has anyone tried the RAC ones as seen in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...ETOOL+CHEST.htm

I know it's got the cupboard at the bottom that I didn't want but it seems cheap and gives me another top box

The Clarke Premium roll cab is only another £20, that's on ball bearings. I've never used any of the Clarke tool boxes but had a look while I was in and they seem good quality.

I've got a mixture of a Halfords and Snap On box set up at work. The Halfords one is on ball bearings and slides lovely. The Snap On is on friction rollers and sticks fairly often if it's not oiled. I'd personally chuck another £20 in and get the premium version if you can afford to.

Alternatively if you can get or borrow someones trade card for halfords you'll save a few ££'s. Also the draws on the halfords boxes come out really easily should you need to, helps for moving a large box on your own if it's full.

Just my £0.02 worth. ;)

Mick

I've got a Halfords set, they were doing an offer over christmas where if you bought the roll-cab you got the top box for free...

I already had a Snap-on top box, which now sits on top of the Halfords roll-cab.

The Halfords stuff is good, but not a patch on the Snap-on box...

when i need to expand again it'll be to a secondhand Snap-on or Mac roll-cab off ebay...

• 5 years later...

A bit of a "holy batman" thread revival thing going on here but hey ho.

Halfords are doing the Industrial buy "bottom chest, get top free" deal again...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_745201_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

I just took the plunge and went for it, pick them up this lunch...

Going for the "mid range" tool chest approach... I personally can't believe how much they can cost!...

Mav

My apprentice has that set, I rate it for a first box or for home use.

it's not clear in the link if the one you've bought has the grip latch drawers, but if it has then it's a bonus. With the grip latch the drawers stay shut when you're rolling it around the workshop, much the same principle as the lock and roll feature on my Snap On box but more ergonomic and intuitive to use

Yeah they do have the wee latches... after going to pick them up, it turns out there was only the bottom one in stock so have to go back to get the top section.

I had a good look at them and they are "ok" I'm intrigued as to how they'll stand up to my use/abuse which is by no means commercial but at the moment I'm using tools pretty much every other day.

The lower chest weights in at 50kg so there's at least a bit of proof there should be some decent strength to it.

Still trying to get my head around the "deal"... I wanted the lower chest with wheels... cost £340... upper chest cost £250 (individually)... but together they cost £299... So I get a free chest and a discount....

Has anyone tried the RAC ones as seen in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...ETOOL+CHEST.htm

I know it's got the cupboard at the bottom that I didn't want but it seems cheap and gives me another top box

if that's the same quality as there other tools (24pc spanner set to be more precise) then avoid it like the plague.

go, ask me how i know.. :unsure:

Yeah they do have the wee latches... after going to pick them up, it turns out there was only the bottom one in stock so have to go back to get the top section.

I had a good look at them and they are "ok" I'm intrigued as to how they'll stand up to my use/abuse which is by no means commercial but at the moment I'm using tools pretty much every other day.

The lower chest weights in at 50kg so there's at least a bit of proof there should be some decent strength to it.

Still trying to get my head around the "deal"... I wanted the lower chest with wheels... cost £340... upper chest cost £250 (individually)... but together they cost £299... So I get a free chest and a discount.

Don't spend too long worrying about it, just grab the deal and feel pleased with yourself :D

I've spent a while looking at the roll cabs etc, The ball bearing ones are just much nicer to use, but the gap between the clarke / halfords stuff and the top end boxes , snap on, mac, lista etc is pretty big again. Although they are extremely expensive they do feel far better.

I bought an ex-display Beta box and top which I'm very pleased with so far, I've also just jumped on the halfords deal for a roller cabinet to stick my machinist tools in so that it can tidy up the area by the lathe.

If it's not getting much use though, I'd say just go with whatever fits your pricepoint. Clarke and Halfords seem to be the cheapest. I've read that costco do a reasonable low - mid range box too.

If you're not in too much of a hurry contact your local Snap On dealer and see what he has taken in as a trade in. Often some bargains to be had if you aren't too fussy.

I got a gigantic yellow MAC tools roll cab and top box for less than a Snap ON top box on it's own because it was MAC and presumably yellow. Draw sliding seems a little bit better than the Snap On ones I replaced