Fitting new X-Arms

SteveG

Do you need to use caster corrected bushes with the X-arms? or normally one?

They're for the rear of the vehicle... Castor isn't a problem there normally ;)

Si is talking about some front ones but they are still in development stage....

Its just that the X-arm instructions refer to them (offset bushes) and when I got my X-arms Si only sent me the standard bushes....?

They are offset at the axle end by nature of the design of the arms, to better clear the mounts when fully articulated. Bushes used are standard ones.

Here's some pics of messing around with them at Slindon at weekend..

080822_0203Medium.jpg

080822_0208Medium.jpg

080822_0206Medium.jpg

080822_0218Medium.jpg

080822_0221Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

The radius arms do become the restricting factor. With the plus 2 mounts, the front springs dislocate by about 2cm before the arms stop anymore travel. So yes you are right that the shocks are not being fully extended.

The shocks are the same type fitted all round, so handy from a spares point of view and if I ever want to go to a 3-Link I won't have to change them ;)

Cheers

Steve

I'm using the same 11" dampers on the front and I'm getting pretty much full travel out of them. The main part restricing the travel is the bushes between the radius arms and the axle, get these right and it frees it up nicely. I don't have the extra weight of a heavy diesel engine or HD winch bumper to help it flex either.

• 2 months later...

These arms and springs look very good bits of kit but a few questions

are they ALRC legal?

Will they stand upto Comp safari, as I can destroy the bushes in as little as 3 1/2 laps if its rough.

they look a little vulnerable does the bracket need extending to protect them.

If you get that much extra travel, how does the rear prop cope?

If you do a set for the front arms will they be ALRC legal.

A trialler with a set of these front and back would be awsome.

Cheers

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi! Simonr,

very nice pics. Do real justice to the product. Will go in for them shortly for my 110, even though I dont do extrem offroading. Do they make a huge difference on road too?

Uncle Les? The nasty man is dissing my Photographs! ;)

Steve's photos do look much better than mine to be fair. I guess you can't be good at everything!

The QT ones are a lot more chunky (as are Gigglepin etc) - but by adding a bend in the tube you weaken it significantly - so need to beef it up to compensate.

The X-Arms don't need the bend because the joint has so much movement (enough for +/- 45 degrees of articulation without relying on the screw threads for the rotational component!) that it would only loose you up travel if they were cranked. They are made from heavy walled CDS, but are still lighter than most of the competition, reducing un-sprung weight.

If you manage to bend them (without first crushing the tube), which I doubt - I'll replace them for free!

The feedback received so far has been terrific. I had a really nice email from a chap in Poland who used the arms + springs with Gwyn Lewis shock mounts in a big comp in the last couple of weeks saying how well it all worked together and ordered another set for his friend!

Si

Hi! Simonr,

very nice pics. Do real justice to the product. Will go in for them shortly for my 110, even though I dont do extrem offroading. Do they make a huge difference on road too?

None at all, which is a good thing.

Steve

I am going to be fitting my kit soon, I will also fit the X-eng a frame ball joint. I am a bit of loss as to what shocks and mounts i should use? Should I go for an 11" shock and raised monut, will it foul the tub?

The vehicle is a 90 with around 1" lift. I'm looking to improve rear axle articulation.

I am going to be fitting my kit soon, I will also fit the X-eng a frame ball joint. I am a bit of loss as to what shocks and mounts i should use? Should I go for an 11" shock and raised monut, will it foul the tub?

The vehicle is a 90 with around 1" lift. I'm looking to improve rear axle articulation.

What size tyres do you have?

I have Gwyn Lewis rear mounts, 1" lift, OME N73 shocks, and Wolfs with ~4.25" backspace and no fouling with 33" BFG's. I reckon I could get away with 35's with this set up, but no more.

Steve