Fitting new X-Arms

SteveG

I just bought a set of X-arms from Si at X-Eng, well bartered really ;)

I was currently getting good travel from my QT HD arms and Gwyn Lewis's suspension set up, but I like the design principal behind the ball joint and I wanted to try them out.

First impression are that they are lot more substantial in the flesh than you expect. The CDS arms are lighter than expected though. Here's a pic of the new arms compared to the QT ones I took off..

X-Arms001Medium-1.jpg

In the pics on the X-eng website they look smaller than they do in the flesh. So here's a pic with a coin for scale..

X-Arms007Medium.jpg

Simon warns in his instructions that due to LR tolerances they might not bolt straight on. The first side did..

1.jpg

But the second side needed one of the holes widening...

X-Arms017Medium.jpg

I thought that was it, but when I went to fit the rear mount it would not slot in due to the bend in the mount. So much for uniform LR mounts :rolleyes:

X-Arms020Medium.jpg

So out came the grinder and now it fits..

X-Arms024Medium.jpg

I adjusted the arms to the same length as the QT ones and tightened the lock nut on the ball joint. When I have time, I'll check the axle position to see if this is the best length or not.

Here's a couple of pics of the arms in place. The silver stuff, by the way, is an ally based anti-seize...

X-Arms022Medium.jpg

X-Arms021Medium.jpg

I've yet to try them out yet on anything taxing, but I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Cheers

Steve

In a previous thread I siad I thought they looked a bit little and flimsy and fiddly but with those pics they look very beefy. Si, Shoot your photographer, the pics on your site do no justice for your product :D Pleaes take that in the nicest possible way, I'm chuckling while I'm typing :)

Having seen those pics I'm far more inclined to buy some when I can afford to upgrade my radius arms. Do you have any front radius arms of a simmilar style planned?

Steve, what are you doing with your QT ones?

In a previous thread I siad I thought they looked a bit little and flimsy and fiddly but with those pics they look very beefy. Si, Shoot your photographer, the pics on your site do no justice for your product :D Pleaes take that in the nicest possible way, I'm chuckling while I'm typing :)

Having seen those pics I'm far more inclined to buy some when I can afford to upgrade my radius arms. Do you have any front radius arms of a simmilar style planned?

Steve, what are you doing with your QT ones?

get your engine fixed first. :rolleyes:

Shoot your photographer, the pics on your site do no justice for your product :D Pleaes take that in the nicest possible way, I'm chuckling while I'm typing :)

Uncle Les? The nasty man is dissing my Photographs! ;)

Steve's photos do look much better than mine to be fair. I guess you can't be good at everything!

The QT ones are a lot more chunky (as are Gigglepin etc) - but by adding a bend in the tube you weaken it significantly - so need to beef it up to compensate.

The X-Arms don't need the bend because the joint has so much movement (enough for +/- 45 degrees of articulation without relying on the screw threads for the rotational component!) that it would only loose you up travel if they were cranked. They are made from heavy walled CDS, but are still lighter than most of the competition, reducing un-sprung weight.

If you manage to bend them (without first crushing the tube), which I doubt - I'll replace them for free!

The feedback received so far has been terrific. I had a really nice email from a chap in Poland who used the arms + springs with Gwyn Lewis shock mounts in a big comp in the last couple of weeks saying how well it all worked together and ordered another set for his friend!

Si

We've also fitted them to our modified disco. And they work great together with the X-eng springs.

They even stay in one piece for more then one event. Standard bushes lasted about 1 weekend with 36 inch Simex and Maxidrive portals. 'Great to see they stand up so well to the abuse we throw at them!!

So now the 38,5x14 SuperSwampers are on there way.

Img_5870.jpg

Next weekend we will be competing in the Dutch National Challenge competition with our completely rebuilded disco after a heavy roll 2 weeks ago. Amazing what 4 determind guys can do in a short time! (bend chassis, cage, bumpers, rebuild engine, new body)

koprol_a.gif

d1-01.jpg

Glad you like them!

That's a very cool sequence of shots!

I had a nice email from a chap who is using them for Safari Racing. He said previously he had to replace the bushes every couple of races, but these are not showing any signs of wear yet and they have paid for themselves already in maintainance time alone.

Si

I never had a problem with the bushes giving up for 4 years then I came to Romania and I went through a set in several weeks!! Got Dflex bushes on just now and after hearing how carp they are I'm not expecting them to last very long either. Maybe I will be buying a set of these sooner than I first planned. Any chance you can through a little free gift in with a set?? something like a 200tdi disco engine with free postage would be lovley :)

I never had a problem with the bushes giving up for 4 years then I came to Romania and I went through a set in several weeks!! Got Dflex bushes on just now and after hearing how carp they are I'm not expecting them to last very long either. Maybe I will be buying a set of these sooner than I first planned. Any chance you can through a little free gift in with a set?? something like a 200tdi disco engine with free postage would be lovley :)

A disco engine? - Oh, OK then! Would sir like it gift wrapped? ;)

Si

bit of a thread hijack, but what are those wheels? Need a new set to replace some tatty eightspokes and i like those a lot

They're Australian performance alloys. They are rated to over 1400KG's per wheel but cost about £200 a rim IIRC. They are available from Outback Import.

Cheers

Steve

They're Australian performance alloys. They are rated to over 1400KG's per wheel but cost about £200 a rim IIRC. They are available from Outback Import.

Cheers

Steve

Steve you're right about the wheel! The price is a bit less steep but still quite expensive. Ours are also fitted with Staun beadlocks. We've just ordered a new 10J set for the new Super Swampers.

Cheers Bowy

• 1 month later...
Yes indeed , Any plans Si , I bent both my QT ones on sat .

There is a plan afoot! Just a question of finding the time for development really. If said plan comes together - I think the end result could be rather cool!

Si

Not the current RV. ;)

not this decade then....... we gotta run with her next year, i might know what i am doing by then

Wos wrong with the drum , There fine from a 300 tdi on .

correct they are 'fine' but there are things like X-brakes that are alot better than fine!