Corn Flake Gaskets?

Ive got a leaky engine (coolant that is), it seems to be coming from the coolant aperture behind the timing housing :angry: So to replace that gasket i have to remove the timing cover etc. I phoned up the local dealer and they only sell the fuel pump gaskets in packs of 10 at 80p a gasket. Does anybody see a problem with using a corn flakes cut-out as a gasket in this instance? Any other pointers would be useful too :D

Ive got a leaky engine (coolant that is), it seems to be coming from the coolant aperture behind the timing housing :angry: So to replace that gasket i have to remove the timing cover etc. I phoned up the local dealer and they only sell the fuel pump gaskets in packs of 10 at 80p a gasket. Does anybody see a problem with using a corn flakes cut-out as a gasket in this instance? Any other pointers would be useful too :D

I'm guessing that this is a 200 or 300 Tdi you're talking about here?

If you've got to strip the timing case then I would recommend changing the timing belt, tensioner (and idler - depending on the engine) pulleys while you're there. That being the case, if you were to order the necessary bits from a reputable supplier (I use Brookwells in Bovey Tracey, Devon) rather than a main dealer, you'll get just the bits you ask for...

You can get gasket sheet from most motor factors if you would rather make your own gaskets, but for the sake of a phone call I'd rather get the right bits.

Matt

I prefer the grey RTV as it looks good and tastes better.

I do wish that people would specify what engine they are talking about when they post a question. Some of us are not mind-readers. If this is a 300tdi it could be the notorious P gasket which is a different thing altogether.

And as to why coolant is leaking from the fuel pump, maybe this is one of those engines that run on water?

Pardon me its a 200tdi. Jim if ya know a way for it to run on water please share :P

I know somebody who filled up his 2.5 diesel (radiator) with "medicinal salt sea water" from Mozambique, left it standing for a Month....

But that guy was not very clever, when pulling him to the gararge he did not unlock the steering lock, guess what happened at the first turn....

Only that it will probably leak and f*** up your engine and then £8.00 might seem quite cheap in retrospect compared to the cost of a new engine...

I have seen a Cornflakes packet used as a rear diff seal but I wouldn't use it anywhere on an engine!

I always use Frosties boxes......

They're Grrrrrrreat.

Frosties are the best ever but that said i'd only make a gasket out of a frosties box if the occasion really called for it, I'd agree wit Matt, phone somewhere like Brookwells, they'll send you any gasket you want and it'll cost hardly anything.

I have seen an empty pot noodle pot taped over the end of the front hubs on an 07 plate defender before so they could take the shafts out, but that was in the middle of the desert in Morroco so i'd say the occasion called for it! :P

My daughter had a Metro. It came cheap to get her to work.

I replaced three proper thermostat gaskets. All leaked.

Made one up from my Weetabix box. Never had to change it again.

Brown paper envelopes are the same brown paper as gaskets.

Of course in this day and age it's no good unless it comes wrapped in a box

mike

Cardbord milk cartons work if you are stuck ; they are moisture resistant and also have a wax type component that should be oil resistant.

Not ideal but, as I say, when you are stuck....................

G

If its a small leak thats just appeared cos you just replaced timing belt or water pump etc then you might find that it only leaks a small amount when cold. It may even furr back up and seal itself again.

If its a small leak thats just appeared cos you just replaced timing belt or water pump etc then you might find that it only leaks a small amount when cold. It may even furr back up and seal itself again.

I suspect it was caused because i changed the clutch, using the method where you remove the engine, so perhaps strain upon removal etc, about 500 miles ago. I did notice that the coolant level would drop a couple of cm's each week, and on sunday night it just started pissing it out. It was drip.... drip.... drip with the engine off and drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip with the engine on :lol:

Anyhow all is well now, new genuine water pump, timing case, timing block, coolant aperature gaskets (genuine) and one OEM :lol: Kelloggs Cornflakesâ„¢ Fuel Pump Gasket (it was a choice between corn flakes or rice crispies), with a smear of hylomar on the back just to be safe. Greased all the gaskets as well. I did go through several pairs of underpants though, especially when removing the camshaft sprocket i managed to turn the camshaft :o Thank fully it wasn't that bad to reset the timing, as it was just a case of lining up a few arrows, but it was still a PITA!!! Timing belt changed, with all new oil seals and tensioner. I was literally shaking when switching her on though, that wait for the fuel system to prime, while you crank is traumatic. All is well, engine sounds nice and clockwork in the engine bay (shame it doesn't sound so nice, by the time its rattled every panel on her) and to say i am relieved is a massive understatement. Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. Hopefully i will never have to see that gasket again :D

Hylomar shouldn't work on paper gaskets.

It was developed by Rols Royce as a sealent for a metal to metal face joints on their B series engines.

If I use a paper gasket I only use grease to hold it in position.

mike

:blink: These infos can be misleading to our newbies who might place a search for Gaskets and guess what might come up,,,

First search... Corn flakes Gasket...

Second search.... Quaker Oats hard cover Gasket :huh::hysterical:

Third search....Frosties Box Gaskets.... hmmm :ph34r:

I simply hope no one gets misleaded into cutting some Wheetabiz cardboard as a gasket... :P