Car tax

landmannnn

Is the defender a light goods vehicle or a car?

If a light goods vehicle then £180.

If a car then being over 225g it will fall into the top band as per the range rover ie £455 in 2010. (Unless registered before 2002)

About the same as a difflock.

Sorry guys ,,, You make out, as though you did not expect this to happen,

When they started to play with the grouping, 18 months ago, was only a mater of time, before they got jacked up

Same with classing some hard top Defenders as commercial,, won't be long until they are the same rate as Station wagons !! :(

So £185 per year for both my motors :P all this new fangled stuff on CO2 etc. has given them a stick to beat people with, I reckon the smart money is on anything old enough not to have had any official CO2 emissions figures.

I agree - just stick with something pre 2001 and your laughing all the way to the bank and sticking to fingers up at them!!!

Sorry guys ,,, You make out, as though you did not expect this to happen,

When they started to play with the grouping, 18 months ago, was only a mater of time, before they got jacked up

Ah... but they announced it for all post 2006 vehicles, now they are trying to slip it in for all post 2001 by the back door -this is what's winding everyone up!

Good job I wouldn't have a new car if someone bought it for me!

Ah... but they announced it for all post 2006 vehicles, now they are trying to slip it in for all post 2001 by the back door -this is what's winding everyone up!

But in all honestly,, did we really expect them to stick to the March 2006 date as a cut off date,, :angry:

The sport goes from a current £210 to £455 in barley 18 months time

Am sure if they could find a way of stuffing the pre March 01 vehicle's they would do it !!

Just put my Subaru in, not good.... What does the 1st year bit mean for from April 2010? 12 months is £430 but 1st year is £750??

Subaru Impreza (07 on)

2.5 WRX 5dRates effective from 13 March 2008

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

1 Nov 2007 – £220.00 £400.00 G 246

Rates effective from April 2009

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

1 Nov 2007 – £228.25 £415.00 L 246

Rates effective from April 2010

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months First Year Band CO2 (g/km)

1 Nov 2007 – £236.50 £430.00 £750.00 L 246

But in all honestly,, did we really expect them to stick to the March 2006 date as a cut off date,, :angry:

The sport goes from a current £210 to £455 in barley 18 months time

Am sure if they could find a way of stuffing the pre March 01 vehicle's they would do it !!

Totally agree, it is very unfair, which is why there is such an uproar about it, and yes, I expect pre-2001 vehicles will get a hike at some point to 'promote newer, cleaner vehicles onto the road'

:(

Just put my Subaru in, not good.... What does the 1st year bit mean for from April 2010? 12 months is £430 but 1st year is £750??

It means the first year VED will cost you £ 750 !!! then £430 (at current rates) for the subsequent year !!

A good example here is me. I went out a year ago and bought a 2004 Defender SW knowing that it would cost £200odd per year to tax. Now I find that it will cost me £450odd a year. What am I to do? Sell it at a large loss? Keep using it at the high rate of tax?

Chris

Just run the calcs on my cars. Both are 1999/2000, so don't change but if they were 2002 the following would happen by 2010:

Discovery Td5 1999 £200, if 2002 £455

Peugeot 406 Hdi 1999 £200, if 2002 £125

So some people will benefit, but not in Landrover land.

The thing that upsets me is that if you get taxed £455 per year for your RR supercharged you're going to use it as much as possible to get your money back, right? And if you don't do many miles you'll buy a cheap tax band car so you don't watse money?

I know fuel is already expensive, but wouldn't it be better to put the tax on fuel to discourage un-necessary use of cars in general, rather than just taxing high CO2 cars more? That process is much more likely to change peoples driving habits and help save the penguins in the long term. This could be combined with better fuel discounts for business users so that only recreational users get penalised.

I know the above would affect us who use their vehicles for fun, but the aim of these taxes should be to save our little planet, not to line the governments pockets.

My landy is tax free being 1968 but the Subaru started off at £300 and the increase in tax is massive. The whole thing just sucks and has nothing to do with the environment, it's just another way to squeeze more tax out of us.

Chris

A good example here is me. I went out a year ago and bought a 2004 Defender SW knowing that it would cost £200odd per year to tax. Now I find that it will cost me £450odd a year. What am I to do? Sell it at a large loss? Keep using it at the high rate of tax?

Chris

Yep, you are in the group of people that are really screwed by all this :(

The first year VED, I believe, was to be added to a new vehicles purchase price by the dealer, it is almost like a 'special purchase tax' -this I would support, as it DOES promote greener vehicles onto the roads without screwing over 9 million motorists that bought their car up to 8 years ago.

Gee So who kisses you when you buy your road tax, the girl behind the counter at the post office or there is a goverment body that does it

It is just that personally i like to be kissed when i am being ****ed :rolleyes:

:D

I hope it's not the old lady that runs the local post office!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Gee So who kisses you when you buy your road tax, the girl behind the counter at the post office or there is a goverment body that does it

It is just that personally i like to be kissed when i am being ****ed :rolleyes: