no more reversing of our vehicles please

pugwash

Also it's a warrior pickup with "poor rear visibility". No harder than reversing a 2WD Transit then, so what we're saying is he's an idiot and whoever was stood/walked behind a reversing vehicle to get run over should probably have been paying attention too :rolleyes:

All my company vans have had no rear window and I've never squashed anyone, although pedestrians do seem to think the best place to stand is right behind the vehicle when it's reversing <_<

All my company vans have had no rear window and I've never squashed anyone, although pedestrians do seem to think the best place to stand is right behind the vehicle when it's reversing <_<

For the last 3-4 years I have always put my hazards on when reversing or pulling out of a space in a car park in an attempt to make it even more obvious for pedestrians and otehr drivers, but like you say FF, people just can't wait 20 seconds and walk right behind me. Infuriating.

For the last 3-4 years I have always put my hazards on when reversing or pulling out of a space in a car park in an attempt to make it even more obvious for pedestrians and otehr drivers, but like you say FF, people just can't wait 20 seconds and walk right behind me. Infuriating.

I have reverse beeper and camera on the 130 I plant it reverse count to 5 check mirrors and cameras and if they are clear go. If anyone is in a blind spot and haven't heard/seen me coming they soon will.

Sorry, but reversing on the pavement?!!

Bit of a rant now, but people who drive into driveways / parking spaces and then reverse out really wind me up. :(

Not only are they making life difficult for themselves (reversing out of a confined space into an area such as a road/across a pavement where there will be other traffic - be that vehicular, pedestrian or otherwise) but they also make it the responsibility of the approaching traffic to see, give way or otherwise avoid them.

Sometimes it can't be avoided I know, but why choose to drive into a known space with good visibility then reverse out into an unknown one with little or no visibility? Next time you're sat in Tescos / Sainsburys / Morrisons car park waiting for your other half, just do a bit of people watching and see how difficult drivers make it for themselves. :glare:

Matt

At work we have a blanket 'reverse park' policy. At first it seemed pretty stupid but now I even do it at home. When you get to the space, the car's demisted and you know it's empty. When you get into the car (at home, work, supermarket etc), the car's misty (or covered in snow!) and you don't know what's behind you - make a lot of sense to me.

Get your passport out and head north to the lands of my birth. It is many days' travel and you will meet many strange creatures and find weather conditions that only travelled men may speak of, but if your steed is fleet of foot you may return some 'snow' to your kin.

Guest diesel_jim
Always reverse park , Easier if you need to get away sharpish :ph34r::ph34r:

What he said ^^^^

it's just "easier"... unless you know you've got to put stuff into the back of a 110 and you're reversed up against something else... :rolleyes:

What he said ^^^^

it's just "easier"... unless you know you've got to put stuff into the back of a 110 and you're reversed up against something else... :rolleyes:

Agreed - I always do, except

My drive slopes and if I reverse park there is no chance of a Defender rear door staying open - if I drive in then gravity keeps the door open to unload.

At Tescos you just have to move forward if some twit parks too close to open the rear door.

I always reverse park. Simply because when you go to park after driving your

still in driving 'mode' mentally and it is a lot easier.

When you then drive off all you have to do is drive forwards, instead of trying to

concentrate on things around you whilst the kids are screaming because they don't want to

go home, cursing the demister for not working, trying to look over the mountain of shopping,

and a host of other distractions that start when you first set off on a journey.

And at work there is a 'reverse park' policy.

I too prefere to reverse park.

I often ask people who drive in and reverse out why the don't want to comply with the Road Traffic Act. Yes it is an offence to reverse into a main road from a minor road. To me a driveway is a minor road.

Now those angled parking bays that you find in council car parks where you have to dricve in then reverse out. I complained to my local council about them. I was told that "That's they way car parks have to be set out. drive in reverse out". So much for the RTA.

I think I'll follow Matt and get a reverse alarm.

mike

Next time you're sat in Tescos / Sainsburys / Morrisons car park waiting for your other half, just do a bit of people watching and see how difficult drivers make it for themselves.

In my driving lessons I was always taught to pull in forwards in a supermarket carpark, and reverse into any other car park. The reason given was so that you could open your boot and load the shopping up. If you reverse in then you will find it difficult to get the trolley to the boot.

So don't sit there thinking they're all idiots as that's how they teach it!

So don't sit there thinking they're all idiots as that's how they teach it!

I don;t want this to degenerate - but I didn't actually call anyone an idiot.

I still have "issues" though with the driving instructor teaching a learner such a poor manoeuvre.... :rolleyes:

Matt

Once I parked behind a Land Cruiser and got out to go to a shop, there was a good 3' space between us. The Land Cruiser then reversed into the bonnet of my car. I ran back and shouted at the driver and an elderly, 5' nothing woman got out from behind the wheel to have a look and said "Your bloody fault for parking behind me where I can't see you!".

I was stunned. By the time I came to my senses she had got back in and drove off. Sadly I didn't get the number as the 3" chrome tube spare wheel carrier obsured it. :angry:

I don;t want this to degenerate - but I didn't actually call anyone an idiot.

I still have "issues" though with the driving instructor teaching a learner such a poor manoeuvre.... :rolleyes:

Matt

Sorry I was speculating as to what you were thinking - but you get the idea :rolleyes:

I still don't think it is a poor manoevure, how do you get a trolley to your boot? They certainly don't leave enough space to go in between cars. I personally think it is best to learn both ways of doing it, you can then choose which is needed under the circumstances, pulling in forward is more difficult as is reversing out of the space afterwards so why wouldn't you want to teach this more difficult manoevure?

The instructor did explain why you needed to pull in forwards at Supermarkets, and he is correct, he also explained the rest of the time it is normally better to reverse in