Cheapest way to cut scrap up

sotal

I don't have to cut much scrap up, but I've got the point again where I have a big pile of scrap which includes a scrap series 2 chassis which I need to chop up. Last time I did anything like that I used a big grinder and about £20's worth of discs.

I might be able to borrow a cutting torch / some gas, but it's a bit of a hassle and I like to add to my toy collection so would prefer to buy something to do the job then I've always got it.

My initial thoughts were Oxy Propane, using my BBQ propane canister? But it's going to cost £200

Any cheaper way to do it?

Do you need to cut it up to transport it?

If you have enough room by your scrap, have a skip delivered.

Most scrap companies will deliver and collect the skip for free if there is enough weight in it. Might be worth making couple of calls to find out.

One of our local companies is charging £40 to collect if the skip has less than a ton in it. Still cheaper than a load of cutting discs.

Paul. ;)

the cost of setting yourself up with oxy propain isn't that bad when you think you'll have it to warm all those bolts that wont undo, or that bit of thick steel that you whan to bend.

being a farm we've alwes had gas on the farm for warming, cutting, bending, brassing and welding

Thanks for the suggestions, I do like the idea of oxy propane as it has a lot of uses,

The problem with the skip idea is I have scrap in three places, The place with the most scrap is a lock up and I can't have a skip outside there.

I have a 6x4 trailer to take the scrap to the scrap yard, I could just do with cutting into more manageable chunks.

It was a 9" Grinder I used last time but as I said it used about £20's worth of discs and only got about £20 for the scrap.

Gas would be handy as the lockup doesn't have mains, but I have got a 10kva Diesel Genny there.

Are those Sabre Saws that good? I couldn't imagine them cutting through a chassis! Aldi had a cheapo version of one of them for not much money last time I went in, might be worth a try?

The cheapo may not come with the best quality blades and you will want something longer to do the chassis rail in one pass.

I used black & Decker Piranha brand bi metal blades 228mm long 1.8mm pitch.

Yes they really do fly through a chassis.

Steve

i cut up a disco chassis and body and a series II chassis with a small angle grinder and disks from LIDL - they were cheap as chips - loaded it on the trailer and way to go.

Problem with acetylene at home is that your apparently supposed to notify your home buildings insurance company - and sometimes they get a bit funny about it.

Isn't there an insurance issue with Oxy gear at a domestic residence? IIRC Les or Nige had an issue with it...?

May be wrong though... it has been known!! :lol:

I think there is with accetylene, oxy is non flamable and lots of poeple have propane/butane for BBQ's heaters etc,

Carl.

i dont know nought about insurance (thieves) but oxy is literally an oxidant, if you have anything burning then give it a high oxygen atmosphere it will burn faster better and hotter, or things that won't burn at 30% oxy (air) will at a higher %age

Guest otchie1
i dont know nought about insurance (thieves) but oxy is literally an oxidant, if you have anything burning then give it a high oxygen atmosphere it will burn faster better and hotter, or things that won't burn at 30% oxy (air) will at a higher %age

Acetylene is so dangerous that if it's involved in/near a fire the fire brigade will set up a 200m cordon.

I wouldn't store it anywhere near my house and kids.

Propane/Butane and patience is plenty for shifting most rusty bolts.

Gas axe is the industrial solution to your problem but a powered reciprocating saw is the best DiY option - 18V DeWalt puppy will do you proud.

I have got one of those cheap reciprocating saws from Aldi and I use the Black & Decker Piranha 153mm Bi-Metal Scorpion Saw Blade, and it cuts chassic up no problem.

As far as Oxy Acetylene goes, when i was in the Fire Service I went to loads of house fires where people has cylinders had problems house catches fire, and when they blow they will flatten your house and surrounding neighbours as well, also you might find that you wont be insured either.

I've got the 18V Dewalt reciprocating saw and cut my old chassis up a couple of weeks ago. for thin stuff, use the coarse wood cutting blade and it flies through at silly speeds! ;)

was it a morgan chassis then? :lol: