exploding wind screen

Has anyone ever had their windsheild explode into a million pieces for no reason? I have a 1985 90 and was driving along at 40mph and it just shatered into pieces. It seems to match all the other glass, it all has the XXX marking on it.

I guess it was a toughened screen rather than a more modern laminated one. The laminated ones often get stone chips and can crack but the toughened ones are heat treated to make them tough and very resistant to damage but one large stone (any concentrated impact like an automatic centrepunch) and they shatter into a zillion pieces.

The secret, when this happens, is to punch a hole in the screen so you can see where you are going. Of course, it is too late for advice like that now. :) Glad you are OK.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
I've been told by more than one person, including the glass fitter NOT to buy a new rubber as it will pull the 'screen in and crack it.

mike

Hmm.... wonder what they do at the factory then?

I just (last month or so) had a new heated/tinted glass fitted by autoglass with a new rubber seal, and all is well.

Has anyone ever had their windsheild explode into a million pieces for no reason? I have a 1985 90 and was driving along at 40mph and it just shatered into pieces. It seems to match all the other glass, it all has the XXX marking on it.

yep had it on a hybrid i once owned, one second driving normaly the next the whole screen was a mass of cracks, couldnt see a thing.

only thing i could see doing it was someone taking a shot at me with a high power air rifle or some stray shot from a shotgun etc, i was driving through some rural roads at the time. was dam scary...

The secret, when this happens, is to punch a hole in the screen so you can see where you are going. Of course, it is too late for advice like that now. :) Glad you are OK.

Chris

Based on first hand experience my advice is not to punch a hole in the screen (an urban myth of the 1970s). The small squares of glass are sharp and accompanied by lots of small splinters so quite apart from getting a few in your hand the whole screen will just collapse onto you and any passengers. Toughened screens are heat treated not just for strength but to keep an area clearish in front of the driver which quickly crazes over but not so fast as to prevent stopping quickly and fairly safely. But half of the time the whole lot just comes in when it breaks.

Windscreens are certainly supposed to be laminated - I have seen one which hit a goose at about 50mph (a big goose!) and though it was half in to the cabin with the sheer force of the impact, it didn't break up and the middle layer held it all together though there was a bit of glass in the cab!

Damage to windscreens is a fact of life here with gravel roads, and while side and rear windows go pop and dump lots of little pieces into the cabin, which isn't nice, the front windscreens don't do it and we change dozens if not hundreds at work in a year. My Ranger windscreen has got a crack from side to side at the bottom and right up to the top corner and is in no danger of going pop.

I guess some of the cheap non genuine screens are not up to scratch!

New Defender seals do not present a problem, some lubrication (Fairy liquid or tyre bead lube) and a length of strimmer cord to go around the seal to pull it in and it doesn't take long.

I've had several screen go over the years and they have usually gone due to gravel being thrown up from other vehicles. That said it only takes a tiny object hitting the screen at just the right speed / angle for it to cause a chip / crack / or shatter an old screen. You may never see or find the object that caused the breakage.

There is an piece in the Tech Archive showing a pro replacing the screen on a previous Defender of mine.

You should always fit a new rubber seal as they split & leak after just a few years so it makes sense to fit a new one when you have the chance.

I have never had a problem with fitting a new seal whether it is to a new or s/h screen, sounds to me like your windcreen fitter is prone to damaging the screen (the flat 90/110 screens can crack quite easily if you aren't careful) and is just covering his own back with an untruth.