RR Sport Transmission

simonr

Particularly the diffs and shafts.

Do you know if they all had a locking rear diff? Are the front and rear the same (i.e. could you fit a locking rear to the front?).

What ratio are they?

Are any photos available of the setup?

The web is swamped with photos of 'pimp-mobiles' - but there's very little proper technical info that I can find!

I now they are independent, which a lot of people view as a negative - but it strikes me that before too long, these are going to form the basis for a lot of peoples off-roaders so I thought I might see what can be done with them!

Si

"The web is swamped with photos of 'pimp-mobiles' - but there's very little proper technical info that I can find"

Over 900 topics, and over 11,000 posts in the Technical section of http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/

Any help? (I haven't read any of them!).

Also http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 but I can accept that might be more bling.

Other than that it might be a days subscription (ie, a short subscription) to the Global Technical Resource, and a big download session.

Good Luck

The rear locking diff is certainly only optional on the D3 so not standard fit, I would imagine the RRS is the same as the mechanical underpinnings are the same as Bish said.

There are basically 3 sorts of setup

- Coil springs, basic ETC

- Air suspension, Terrain Response (the whizzy little dial which lets you tell the vehicle what you are about to get it bogged to the doors in due to the 3 ton weight...)

- Air suspension, Terrain Response & rear difflock

By far the majority of vehicles will be the middle one of those I think.

Electronic locking rear diff is a £300 ish option on T5 platform which is generic to RRS and D3. not sure if it will go on the front.

Neil W was asking aftre RRS ratios not so long ago try him he may have found an answer

Si

If you are interested in having a play/measure/disect then I have a brand spanking RRS rear diff complete with locker that you are welcome to play with

1:3.54 ratio

Only 14 wires to decode although I have fathomed how to lock/unlock

The travel is huuuge but I haven't worked out how the CVs etc cope

Neil

3.73 on the V8 petrol, 3.54 on V6D, V8D and V8SC

not sure what the travel is but the air suspension range goes through 7" in std so that must be well within tolerances before you play with it.

Having said that we had 1 CV go on a RRV at full lock and at max suspension height (ie extended - 7" above access height)

Having spoken to quite a few LR engineers over the years, it seems drivetrain damage has been considerably reduced since traction control appeared. Apparently they used to go through CV's, half shafts and diffs like no tomorrow during development in the old days. With the current vehicles, it rarely happens. Obviously if your project doesn't have such things, the durability might be in question if they design them now based on these aids being on the vehicle.

Think all other info has already been covered by others so no point repeating it.

Having spoken to quite a few LR engineers over the years, it seems drivetrain damage has been considerably reduced since traction control appeared. Apparently they used to go through CV's, half shafts and diffs like no tomorrow during development in the old days. With the current vehicles, it rarely happens. Obviously if your project doesn't have such things, the durability might be in question if they design them now based on these aids being on the vehicle.

Interesting!

Having talked to a couple of other people, they reckoned the diff lock consists of a multi-plate wet clutch with an actuator which presses them together - giving the possibility of a gradual (limited slip) lock. By the description of how the terrain response works, I'm wondering if the diff contains a means of measuring torque as well as the ABS sensors measuring wheel speed?

Tim - I'll take you up on your offer! See you in Brighton!

Thanks for everyone's info - sounds like the basis for another interesting project!

i think its just a speed measurement taken or in other words difference in speed between rotating shafts which then triggers TR to lock the diff (the speed it locks depending on what setting its in). would that not achieve the same thing?

i think its just a speed measurement taken or in other words difference in speed between rotating shafts which then triggers TR to lock the diff (the speed it locks depending on what setting its in). would that not achieve the same thing?

According to LR it's not just a case of on/off but there are degrees in between. Apparently future versions of the 4x4i won't show the lock but a sort of bar graph indicating how much of it is applied.

There are definitely some sensors in the diff in addition to the wheel speed sensors.

The actuator is a fairly simple 1/4 turn cam which engages between a set of clutch plates.

For a variable lock, you need to know how much torque the diff is seeing as this will determine the amount of slippage in the locking clutch.

I suppose you could wire it up to a simple meter to show when you are in danger of braking something - or more complicatedly, to back off on the degree of lock as the torque increases. This would help prevent all the torque being carried by one shaft and breaking it!

Si