De-Cider aftermath

JST

What a craking event, good fun and lots of good special stages on sat and some good punches on sun - many thanks to Chris Pedlar and Chris Bolt for overseeing each day and keeping us all entertained. Had a laugh and a couple of serious moments (Team OEC rolling 10 times on the speed section sat night stage being the latter) thank fully they are OK and went on to do an excellent job today. (albeit with a more streamlined truck!)

1st Mod - Jim and Chris (Team Gigglepin)

2nd Mod - Jase and Rich (Team OEC)

1st Std - Stu Ball

2nd std - Devon 4x4.

Mark rest assured no cider was taken before the Night SS ,In fact the one you gave me is now sat in front of me , CHEERS MATE ;)

Well what an outstanding event , It was superb ,The hospitality ,Locations ,Stages ,Punches and Marshalls were all spot on , But a special thanks to Chris Pedlar and Chris Bolt and Simon Buck for making the whole event happen , The Marshals did a fantastic job of setting up all the stages and sections well done all Especialy Frank and Ian .

Yes we did have a misshap on a speed night section ,we lost grip on a narrow track on a hillside which caused both nearside wheels to drop down over the side , The next we knew was we were rolling down the hill side ,It seemed to take forever ,but im not sure how many times we rolled but Nick Bolt who was marshalling and witnessed the event told us we went over about 10 times , we ended up nearside up in a hedge at the bottom of the 180ft slope .

We were both very lucky to walk away with only minor injuries and its all owed to the roll cage , without it I probably wouldnt be writing this now , Dosnt bear thinking about .

But we were even more lucky to have JST and Martin Houndsell on the scene within seconds and with the help from Nick Bolt we recovered the truck back on its wheels and continued the stage .Thanks guys ;)

Congrats to Jim and Chris and Stu Ball on your wins .

Heres some pics from today (post roll)

SSL28015.jpg

SSL28031.jpg

SSL28042.jpg

Lokks like im gonna be busy for a few nights now

How much fun was that?

24 Special stages (SS) on day one each with a 10min DNF time all to be completed by the 23 teams by 5pm

Really good mix of real 'Hardcore' stages and some very quick techincal stages.

Then it was of to the next site for two night stages, both around 2 miles long.

We are still trying to wipe the smiles of our faces........Simply brilliant

There were some nasties though with Gorden Law deciding that being on your roof in a stream is more entertaining than driving through it, and Jason (Cider) Barrel rolling 9 Times? And nearly Giles Evans as well but he managed to catch it just in time

Then plenty of hospitaility with the help of Matt and his Hog roast (That man was Mildly miffed as a parrot ) and of course plenty of Nitromors Cider and some stuff that looked like red diesel (Thanks Jason )

The next day was 50 very tough punches in Bampton with three special stages......

Once again, we loved it.

Thanks to all for making this a REAL challenge event with all the trimming, It had speed, it had Techincal, it had Hardcore in fact everything that is required.

It also had superb sponsers that put up some really good prizes and worked hard to give it a Big event feel.

We will most definatelty be back.

Fantastic

Jim

Ps: What a laugh :D

Thanks to all the guys and gals who helped organise the event and run it on the day.

Special thanks to Chris B, Frank and Ian who put in some amazingly tough and challenging sections and punches which really put the teams to the test.

Best roll of the event goes without any question to Jason (glad you guys are ok) and I will add the Cider Barrell Roll to your awards to go along with your previously earned wings!

A big thank you to Simon and Liz and the crew at D4x4 for all their help, assistance and boundless generosity.

Finally a huge thanks to all the competitors, many of which travelled massive distances and helped create a fantastic atmosphere which was one of the main objectives for the event

The results will be posted up asap

We need to put an article together for the mags, so if anyone be it marshal, competitor or spectator who has any interesting printable ditties of what went on or descriptions of any particular section or highlight please send info in asap please to me at undefined

I shall look foreward to the De-Cider 2009!

Chris P

i am surprised that a) you continued with that damage to the cage i would have thought that it integrity would have been comprimised. and b ) the scrutineers did not stop you for that very reason.

paul

ps glad you are ok and only the cheque book got damaged

i am surprised that a) you continued with that damage to the cage i would have thought that it integrity would have been comprimised. and b ) the scrutineers did not stop you for that very reason.

paul

We also questioned this.....(Not cos we did not want Jas competing, i would like to add, but just as a safety thing)

However, we were told that as the rear hoop was fully intact and the front was re-welded where it was cracked that this was acceptable ?

No one was hurt this time which is great, but we really do need to tighten up our roll cage regs and the use of helmets.

We wore helmets all weekend, they really are not a hinderence and they do save lives.

Jim

Ps: Sections 18 and 19 rocked :D

paul

Why? sharp edges were removed and a mesh screen fitted to provide protection from branches etc to the front.

a roll cage is NOT part of the event requirements and the vehicle chassis was not structurally damaged.

Had a roll cage being a requirement in order to compete then yes i can understand the reasons.

CSW rules do not require you to have any form of cage fitted to vehicles that have a factory fitted hard top/ truck cab- so having the rear hoop alone exceeds the requirement.

I am gutted to have missed what sounds to have been an awsome event... bloody work gets in the way yet again...

Very glad that the Team OEC guys are safe and well- hope it won't take too much work t get the truck back into shape Jase... Really must get a cage fitted to my truck!!!

Why? sharp edges were removed and a mesh screen fitted to provide protection from branches etc to the front.

a roll cage is NOT part of the event requirements and the vehicle was not structurally damaged.

Had a roll cage being a requirement in order to compete then yes i can understand the reasons.

fair comment though if its possible to roll to that extent i would have thought cages would become mandatory.

In terms of the structural damage i would have thought that the forces involved to bend the front hoop must have exerted quite a lot of unknown force to both the chassis and the suspension. I have seen a range rover which rolled once (on a challenge no speed) with an ARC cage. It deflected the top hoop by about 50mm but damaged the chassis to such an extent it was deemed safer to replace the chassis.

paul

The issue with the roll cage was dealt with promptly and profesionaly by both the marshals and our team .

Infact I was the first person to question the marshals about the safety of my cage , Three marshals inspected the structure ,mountings and chassis , they picked up two cracks on the offside front hoop and every thing else met within the criteria of the rules set out by the organisers , We all agreed that if the cracks were welded and we made a barrier of some type to protect the ocupants from the branches and debrs it would be possible to continue in the event .

We would of been very disapointed if we were not allowed to continue .I respected the decisions of all the marshals involved in what turned out to be and was intended as a fun event .

And I must appoligise to the other competetors for starting up the petrol welder at early o clock in the morning :P:P

I also agree with Paul that a cage should be a requierment on this type of event ,But the teams are given the options to not do anything they are not happy with doing

Ok back on topic now gentlemen before a hat gets put on ;)

SS19 was good - we even finished that one in time, only two teams to do so!

Bugger, I did'nt think you would complete it when we set it out :angry::angry::angry::angry:

And why Bathtub took the route on 23, between the trees that we had measured and new he would'nt fit through by about 8 - 10" yet to the left was enough room to get a lorry through, was a little surprising :(:(:(

Thanks for the feed back guys, we were knackered by the time we finished settig up for Saturday but the comments here and on other forums have made it all worth it.

Whatch out next year I might be asked to help out again :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ian